Skip to content

Is a grain free diet just for active dogs?

I put all three of my dogs on a grain free diet.  Now the local pet store tells me the grain free diet is good for my bullies, but not for my 11yr old lab.  He said if Buster, my lab, is not a active dog he may have trouble digesting the grain free food.  If this is the case, then I need to find a better 'diet, senior' food for Buster. (He is older, and weighs almost 100 lbs.)

Comments

• That's a crock of crap. If anything it's quite the contrary.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited November 2013
    You actually have someone working at your local pet store that isn't a pimple-faced teenager with tattoos and a bland look on their face..... .??.... Even if they looked somewhat better, I wouldn't place much value in their advise... They probably learn everything they know from salesmen anyhow.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Wow..... I'm utterly amazed that they gave you this advice, kinda like the people who put there dogs on vegan kibble. Dogs are by nature carnivores and grain was never in their natural diet so they actually have harder time digesting grain, so don't listen to him, he has no clue what he's talking about.
  • Nope, not a kid.  Store Mngr.  He did have me concerned because we are having trouble with Buster.  I want to be sure we are doing all we can for him.  We recently put  him on Deramaxx.  Then I looked it up on the computer and that scared me to death.  Poor fellow suffers with arthritis really bad.

Thanks for all the input.  I will leave him on grain free.