Skip to content

Pup hardly eats

Hello,

My name is Matt, I'm new to the forum. We have a 4 1/2 month old male who, ever since we got him, hasn't really been that fussed on food. We've feed him earthborn puppy vantage kibble and now we're feeding him Artemis puppy kibble instead. He isn't too fussed on kibble alone and he'd only eat around 1 cup per day. So, living in Australia, we started mixing in ground kangaroo which he loves. Its very very lean and around 30g protein per 100g. I tried sardines too but he doesn't like them much. Things were going well with the roo/kibble mix, but he's seemingly lost interested again. He is teething at the moment so might that be the issue? He was the pick of the litter and my wife is hypothesizing that since he didn't have to compete for food amongst the litter he doesn't scoff his food down now? I've owned two bullies prior and they both were perpetual vacuum cleaners when it came to food - insatiable.

the vet thinks its nothing to worry about as he is eating something at least. I'm just really worried his growth might be stunted? Any advice at all? He's currently around 42lbs (19kg) and is 18.5" tall at the withers.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Matt

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Some Bull Terriers will lose their appetite when their adult teeth are coming in. I wouldn't be too worried over it right now.
    Are you feeding him twice a day or leaving the bowl of food out to eat freely? I feed all my Bullies twice a day at set time frames and watch them eat and finish their food. In the event the food ins't of interest or they don't finish it all (a rarity) their food is taken away. This keeps them from becoming finicky as well as looking forward to their next meal.
    I truly think his lack of appetite is in direct relations to his teething which at times can even cause a temperature and obvious discomfort. Allow him to chew on some raw hides or even raw meat bones. In due time he'll be through his teething stage and happily eating his food like a piranha again.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Jeez,,,,if he's 42 lbs at 4.5 months he is gonna be a hulk! Pictures?
    Heck, if he's 18.5" to the withers at 4.5 months he's going to be taller than a Great Dane.
    I want to see pictures!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    Welcome CrozinOz.  I agree, we need pics  ;)
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited October 2013
    CrozinOz,
    Try a greater variety in food.... ( we don't know your kibble brands over here obviously, but as long as its quality and grain-free and Puppy version), but mix it up with raw beef, chicken, turkey, duck.... ( not at the same times obviously, different meals) we add cooked chicken, cooked chicken livers, cooked chicken hearts... Canned food, veggies, eggs. We have a big draw in the fridge and create all the components once a week and then just create a "stew" from those components .... They gobble it up... Does he get much exercise that key... But like everyone says, at 47 lbs we gotta see this!!!!!!
    If you want to hop some of that Roo over here, I'm sure our kids'll love it!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited October 2013

Hello everyone, and thank you for your replies.

Steve, we do exactly that - feed him twice a day and its only down for 15-20mins if he doesn't finish its taken away.

I'm at work at the moment, and don't have current photos with me. I will take some tonight when i get home and post them. I could be a lil out on the height, but i know he is definitely at least 18". He's taller than our coffee table which from memory is 17.5" tall.

He was the pick of the litter, and the breeder stated Thor would end up between 35-40kg (77-88lbs). The mother was 30kg (66lb) and the sire was 5-7kg (11-15lb) heaview than the dame. We'll see.

The first photo is Thor at 11 weeks old. And the second was taken at 3 months 3 weeks. I'll take some new ones tonight, along with measurements etc.

Cheers,

Matt

Thor1.jpg
    960 x 720 - 516K
    Thor42.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 226K
  • Ooohhh he's super love him chillin with the vaccum :x
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
    He's going to be a big boy. No telling what his weight will be if he's already 18". I have a brindle Bullie 2 years old that's 22" which would only be a few inches taller than your puppy Thor who is 4 1/2 months old and already 18". Currently Rocky is 84 pounds. There's a photo of him below with my wife which provides an idea as to his size. Usually at 18" a well structured EBT would weigh around 65 pounds.
    Thor looks great. If I were you, I'd start training his ears to stand by taping them. The earlier you initiate the ear training the less you have to worry about the difficulties of trying to tape and train them when he's older and the cartilage in his ears have hardened and settled in the down position.

Rocky and Julie.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 763K
    Rocky - Jan 03, 2012.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Wow, Rocky is also a beast !
  • Wow Steve, Rocky is humungous! He definitely eats his weeties!!

I just measured Thor earlier - he's definitely at least 18" tall but no greater than 18.25-18.5". Its hard to get an exact measurement 'cos he wriggles too much and tries to eat the measuring tape
    :))

He's only eaten approx. 2 cups of kibble/roo today so at least he's eating something i guess. Softening it with water is not doing a great deal either. The kibble we're using http://www.artemispetfood.com.au/products/medium-large-breed-puppy/ got a 4-star rating apparently. So its decent stuff.

Here's a couple more photo's of him and my lovely wife tonight. He's going through a barking phase at the moment - dunno how to put a stop to that!?
    20131021_184735.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    20131021_184824.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    20131021_185234.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • Wow, he's a good looking Bullie-Boy!!!

He certainly has some monster stats!
    Thor looks good.
  • Tugg did the same thing at that age.  I just poured warm water on his dog food and let it soak to soften it.
  • @crozin try mixing a little bovril with warm water and put it over his food.But wow 18kg at 4.5 months is a good size,my two pups are 5 and 6 months old and i dont think are quiet 18kg yet(havent weighed for awhile).

@steve- Rocky is huge!!Awesome dog.
  • Beau isn't eating much as well, thought its her teething? But I have to ask she's 22weeks now and weighed her last week ay 11.4 kg should I be worried compared to your 18 kg?? Thanks
    edited November 2013
    All bullies are different, I am sure you ave heard that a lot on here... But at 22 weeks I think you should be looking at closer to 31lbs plus... ( 14kgs ). How often is she eating, what {exactly} is she eating and what volume do you offer and what amount is she "leaving"? How much of what kind of exercise does she get ?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thor has all his teeth through now, but still not eating a great deal. Its a bit sporadic to be honest. He's putting on weight/size still though which is good.
  • @philsergeant she was weighed yesterday at 12.5kg I feed her barking heads its a uk brand she is supposed to have have 330g a day which I divide into 3 meals of 110g I do mix in a little natures menu chicken because she won't eat it other wise this was on rec of pet shop. Exercise varies daily! Somedays like today she won't walk but is out in the garden as we speak yest had good walk as we got lost in the woods! She does have treats as well during day when teaching her commands thanks
    The main thing is that she keeps gaining, at her age you should see a little bit every week.... weigh her weekly and keep a chart.... this is the one I keep.... Try her with her Kibble plus some boiled chicken breast or boneless thighs better.  Also some canned gain free puppy food... (we use Merrick, but I don't know your brands)... the kibble is Puppy Kibble right, not adult?

WeightSnap.jpg
    2362 x 865 - 634K
  • @philsergeant thanks for your advice... Yes it's puppy kibble grain free good quality ok will add fresh chicken hopefully that will help I know her mum was a smaller but standard bullie so I'm hoping its genetics thanks agin I will do the chart that would be good to see how she growing... When do they stop growing? :-)

Their gain slows at around 12 months... Unless you specifically "bulk them out", beyond that they may grow dimensionally a bit, but not much weight wise... At her age it would be nice if she added about a pound a week.
  • @philsergeant ok thanks for all your advise will record her weight weekly :)
  • @philsergeant have taken on your advise and she has put on another kg she weighs 13.6kg so I'm pleased have been putting in chicken should I wean the chicken out I'm now worrying she will have to much protein in her diet. There was a staff bull terrier at training the other day not our group that was getting aggressive and they worked out had too much protein in his diet! :-? This motherhood to a four legged kid is harder than I thought just wanna get it right lol :-<
    edited November 2013
    @ Jai24.... My personal opinion is that's aloada BS. Our kids have at least one whole breast cooked daily... Plus about 1/2 lb of raw turkey or beef or chicken or duck.... PLUS some chicken livers and sometimes a raw egg etc. so that's a shyte load of protein and they're about as aggressive as my neighbor 's puddy tat.... Well maybe not that aggressive... Has anyone any scientific evidence of this protein/ aggression theory, team? ( with all the sushi and fillet steak I eat its no wonder I'm ripping the heads off all my customers that are not paying their bills).
  • Ok thanks philsergeant Ill carry on with I'm doing raw egg? Beau loves poached eggs. You are funny philsergeant your poor wife
  • @Jai24 many forum members feed raw egg to their Bullies.

Our pup Stoeger would be an exception though... Raw egg makes him vomit. But any variation cooked he is good with. Weird I know, but that's just the way he is with raw egg.