Skip to content

Help getting beau to walk

My girl is 19 weeks and started to walk now has suddenly stopped I can't get her round without dragging her have tried treats toys she won't walk I understand there stubborn but she needs the exercise she can't be in the house all day! Please help!!!

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    This seems to be an issue with many Bull Terriers during their adolescent stages. There have been a few different discussions on this topic but all seem to end with positive results after period of time which I'm sure contributes towards the maturity in the individual dog and the owners persistence to continue walking and training the dog.
    I'm confident many others will chime in on this discussion to provide you with their advice on what worked for them. Time and patience will be big factors especially with a stubborn BT.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Oh yeah, I got this!!!! Jai24, the poor people on this forum are probably sick of me complaining about Apollo and walking!!! First I have to ask, is it flat out stubbornness or do you see a fear factor? Please don't be dismayed with my next comment. My 7 month old STILL does not want to walk. 90% of the time it's fear that holds him back. We have made it over a mile twice now so I know he can do it. It ticks me off to no end and I get so frustrated when he refuses. Something spooked him this morning and I had to drag him in full break mode just to the end of my property. I seriously would cry because Apollo had SO MUCH ENERGY, and he wouldn't walk to burn it off!
    There was a training book I was using about positive reinforcement. Well I'd like to positively shove it up the authors rear! Anyway, there were a few things that worked. Keep a few small treats in your pocket. I used little nubs of pup-peroni. Keep puppy in a sit position at your side. Throw one down the street where she can see it. Slowly walk towards it with her but do NOT allow her to have it and do not let her pull you. Keep throwing that same treat down the street until she walks, without pulling. The treat is motivation, and your still in control by only letting her have it when she walks and walks correctly. Before she realizes it, you've walked all the way down the street. That's how I get Apollo to walk, so now we're just fighting "I'm scared of everything". It sucks! If he hears a squirrel in the tree but doesn't see the squirrel it freaks him the heck out! (Case in point. Apollo had to go out in the middle of typing this. Figured I'd shoot for a walk since he didn't get one this morning. Dud! Something shuffled in the woods and he was done. Wasn't even off my property)
    Keep a time log too. Apollo walks so much better at dinner time than he does in the mornings or afternoons. Always keep happy voices too. I can be so ticked off but I still say "come on you stubborn little rotten a$$" with a smile!!! The only time mean mom comes out is when he tries to play tug of war with his leash. Pinning doesn't work for me in this case. I can tell you how many times I have tripped and fell over Apollo. Then he thinks its for real play time. Now I grab hold of his snout and with my thumb use gentle but firm pressure on the underside of his jaw. I say a mean noooooo and he sits. He taught himself that and I'm not complaining! Lol! Shenanigans over!
    Just have to say good luck! It's stressful, it hard and its brain wracking!!!!! Don't give up!!!!!! There are other threads on here about leash walking. I believe the thread I started was called "if the leash fits". Everyone on here has either been there done that, or are walking the same line we are!!! Not every suggestion will work, but try them all anyway!!! Not just one day either. Give each new lesson about a week!! Good luck luck luck!!!!
  • @jai and apollosmama - lots of consistency and patience. Don't think this is a race to get them there immediately because every bully is different and matures at certain stages during training. No one here is competing we just want to make sure everyone helps each other out to have a fun bully.

One thing I've been doing with Spud to get energy out is playing with a soccer ball in the yard. I will kick it around and he will chase it for 30-40 mins then follow up with a walk which I do about 30 mins at 1.5 miles.

Spud is stubborn to the day and he will be for a long time. I'm never going to be confident yet on his training but I just need consistency.
  • I wish there was a fast forward button! Drive right on through to age 2! Sometimes it's so discouraging! One step forward and 2 steps back.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Have Y'all tried taking them trail walking? I know it's a schlep, putting them in the car or golfcart to get them to the nearest fields and streams... But I swear, if you take them regularly and ( if they don't love walking the wild then you have a REAL problem) then take them around the block every now and then they get to love walking... We can't hold ours back.
    The other trick is to find a neighborhood dog that loves to walk and offer that neighbour that you'll walk their dog and take your kid(s) along with someone they're excited to see.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Our pup Stoeger was great walking on a trail with people last weekend, and in town he walks great. He will also walk around our yard awesomely........ But when I try to walk down the road we get to a certain point where e wants to turn around and haul tail home. The other night we heard a huge pack of coyotes howling around the spot stoge walks to and wants turn home. I've come to the conclusion that maybe they have a den up there and maybe he smells them and is frightened. I've given up on that walk because, I won't lie, it kinda scared me as well. So I don't know if it's a problem that I should overcome or just stick to all the other places where he walks well.
    I know this doesn't answer any questions but maybe it could just be another perspective?
    Hmmmm. Bullies don't scare easily, at least I've never met one that got easily intimidated .... Ours want to go into fox holes... Plenty of foxes around here, and raccoons .. They want to chase the raccoons.... Possibly you hit the nail on the head because bullies will feel that fear coming straight down that leash.... And if they respect you as leader, and you're scared... You probably have him thinking that Ichabod Crane and the headless horseman live in that hollow! Has dad tried walking him up there?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I've had two chances to walk him in that direction Phil and both times I broke Stoges_mom's distance record.

Unfortunately, this time of year, it gets dark too early for me to walk him when I get home from work (no street lights out here).

With me working 6 days most weeks, day-time walking is on Stoges_mom but I'm trying to make up for it with Sunday hikes ;)

Maybe I'll try a day-break walk in the direction Stoges_mom is having difficulty and I'll report back.
    Take your SWORD!

• Having trouble getting your by to walk? Wish I had that problem sometimes, Oscar is ready to bust doors down te second I get home from work to go for a walk, if I even say the word walk , he pile drives the front door and starts wining like a baby.
  • I don't really get nervous until he starts acting weird. He was fine walking that way and I've walked him pretty far in that direction but all of a sudden one day he had his nose to the ground, looked up ad tried to book it back home. I heard limbs starting to break and leaves tussling in the woods and I was like ok pure right let's get home! Then a couple nights later we heard the coyotes howling ad I've ears coyotes before but I couldn't friggin believe wht I was hearing and how many. Stoeger just wanted to go inside and after in, he was so damn jumpy and growled at the door almost all night. The slightest noise and he would freak. Weird right? We've been pretty busy since then ad I havnt heard them howl like that again but I don't know.
  • Phil, I wouldn't want to do any kind of trail walking right now since its deer season.
    How old is Oscar? I'm sure he gets pretty excited to go out when you get home from work. I've thought about leaving Apollo in his crate for a few hours then taking him right out for a walk. Hoping that not seeing me and being alone will make him more excited to go!
  • I think the coyotes could be it. He smells them and their urine.
  • That's what I think too apollos mamma, I know that through the urine dogs are able to tell gender, I think age, and whether neutered/spayed. I'm sure he smelled something there and wants no part of it.
  • We have a ton of coyotes this yr. Across the road in the woods. Brutus isn't scarred of anything andwe had a one making some strange noises tryiing to lure him across the road awhile back. I let out a blood curdling No!! And he lowered his head and came back to me thank God! !!! He knows now them Aint dogs for playing with and their off limits!!!! Imagine me tackeling a coyote trying to eat my dog in the middle of the night in the woods. Not good for me or Brutus!!!!! He also tried to take on a deer that we startled that came running out of the woods at me. Yeah he has no fear!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Those darn Coyote are scaring the deer away too!

004.JPG
    2696 x 1520 - 875K
    004.JPG 875.4K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    Wow, I just saw a Yote cross my driveway earlier today and I can hear a bunch of them howling right now.

Got to go out with the Poms and Trayler when they go out to potty at night.
  • I think it should be coyote season. ..... :-?
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • I'd be afraid if I saw tha while walking Spud.
  • Leslie, it is season! I don't know all the exact state laws, but I know here you can take them out! The only bad thing is you can't eat um, so what the heck do you do with them??? I had a talk with Chris last night and wondered if that's why Apollo won't walk. We have everything out here. Bear, coyote, bobcat etc. Maybe he smells something? It's usually one point where he stops, by the pig farm. I'm sure coyotes are all over that area!!
  • Steve that a really pretty coyote. The ones we had in AZ we're disgusting!!!
  • A couple months ago I was riding the motorcycle and a damn coyote ran out in front of me! Talk about scared!
  • edited October 2013
    Yup, the woods are alive with fur, teeth and claws around here too...

You would think Stoeger would love to play with the local Fishers, Foxes & Coyotes!
    PRMS0093_zps4250f781.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
    PRMS0151_zps3ef0cc3f.jpg
    800 x 600 - 46K
    PRMS0189_zps13160b35.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
  • Apollosmama, she won't walk lol! I've given the duty to my husband he is persisting taking one of our daughters each time. She isn't interested I'm hoping one day she will just walk!!
  • She will! It may take days, weeks or unfortunately months, but she will.
    I've heard that coyotes are becoming more common in FL, although I haven't seen any... I believe that most of the ones that have made it here from out west are wearing Hawaiian shirts and hang out in the law offices in West Palm Beach.