back in the 80's then didn't have a pet dog until I retired some 13 yrs ago
when my lovely wife of 48 yrs bought a couple of Poms.  Love these two lap
dogs but being that the male is 15 yrs old which claimed me as his LOL, I
decided months ago that I should get another BT. Well last month I found a
breeder and decided to look at the litter so told the wife I was going to look
at a utility trailer and she decided to come along for the ride.  Stopped
at the breeder's house while the wife stayed in the car, came back out carry an
8 week old male pup.  She looked at the pup and me then asked, "Is
that the trailer"?  .... thus his name..Trayler.

We live in the country. I had an existing pen where it housed Peacocks that we
no longer had so I cleaned and converted it for Trayler’s exercise pen. 

That following Sunday, the wife and I attended our
granddaughter softball game.  It was a lovely day so I put Trayler in the
pen where he could run around and play with some toys that I placed with
him.  When we returned three hours later
Trayler looked like this.

Yep, a Rattlesnake nailed him.  Rushed him to our Vet where he received meds, I.V. and shots then
later brought him home.  With all what
he went thru; it didn’t stop his energy other or his appetite.   The swelling was down by Tuesday.

And this is what he looks today.

I’ve since attached over the existing wire screen with
another ¼” wire screen to prevent future snakes from slithering in the pen.  Now I only put Trayler in the pen for an
hour or so while I tinker in the garage. 
When he’s not in the pen, he’s right under my foot trying to trip me.

When he got his second puppy shots last week, at twelve
weeks he weighed 20 lbs and gauging by his feet, I anticipate he’ll be a big
boy. 

Later today, I’ll be taping his ears up.  Til my next post, Ciao.

Comments

• Great post! As much as I like other breeds, BT's are by far my fav! So welcome back to the pack! lol!
  • He looks awesome!! I'm glad he is ok after the snake encounter though! I also love his name story!!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Wow, that was some bite.. Thank God he came through it so well, pretty amazing, I would have had to run home to change my trousers.! He's a great looking tike and he is carrying some heavy leather there, so although ear taping isn't going to be fun after what he's just been through, it'll need happen sometime. By the way, did you eat the peacocks or did the snake?
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    Didn't eat the one Peacock or the two Peahens.  Gave them away to a young neighbor girl who always came by just to watch them.  One day she and her grandfather came and asked if they could buy them.  I told them no, but that I'd give them to her. 
  • Welcome to the forum. He is a handsome little (soon to be big) guy. Interesting because my vet has a mounted rattlesnake head in his office lobby that advertises a rattlesnake vaccine. Did not know there was such a thing!
    Stick around...lots of pics and stories are required!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    That was very nice of you.. I love peacocks... Was surrounded by them growing up ( in Africa ) .. They make the very best watchdogs... I doubt a snake coulda snuck up on them.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    What a story! That must have been a scary situation and one that I'm sure shook up your whole family. Poor Trayler!
    There are very few rattlesnakes in my area. However, we have our fair share of copperhead and cottonmouth. I've been through the snake bite situation 3 times already. My problem is that a couple of my bullies will seek out prey when I'm walking them in the back forest. If they come across a snake they seem to be determined to mess with it and kill it.
    BellaTrix was our last EBT that got bit by a copperhead. It got her good too, right on the side of her muzzle. The venom will always swell the area but this time it really got bad and required draining. Her temp shot up immediately and thought maybe her system couldn't handle the bite like most would. She never showed any signs of pain or discomfort from the whole incident and after a couple weeks she back to normal without any trace of the wound.
    I have an outside kennel as well. However, snakes never enter the area because I have moth balls surrounding the back area by the woods. Snakes hate the smell and won't come close. I recommend throwing some moth balls around your kennel to prevent any chance of a repeat incident.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Interesting about the mothballs! Does that trick work for all snakes?
  • He's cute. Keep us updated.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Years ago I've heard from others they used this trick and tried it. I haven't seen snakes in any of the areas I put the moth balls. They have such an odor I think any animal would like to be in the area. Dogs don't like the smell either which is good because they are harmful if ingested.
    There are better things that can be purchased over the counter that are specifically for fending off snakes. So if you have a major concerns about harmful snakes here's a better solution:
    http://www.liquidfence.com/snake-repellents.html

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    Steve, thanks for those snake deterrent advise, will certainly check them out.

For all:  Thanks for the kind words  ;).
  • Ah, Trayler is adorable.  So sorry he was bit by a snake at such a young age.  Our two labs took on a coperhead.  We had to meet the vet at midnight to get the benzedrine they needed.  Good luck with your little guy. 
  • Mothballs work. With all the rain we had this past summer in the Panhandle, we had snakes of all kinds coming up into our yard to escape the floods. Even found a black snake in the garage. Mothballs around the perimeter of the yard and around any access to our garage cured that issue. They work!
  • Welcome to the forum Seon and Trayler!

After seeing those pics, a Bullie's pain tolerance is hard to question.

Great to see he's on the mend!!!