Skip to content

Need some advise!!!

Hi guys Hope all well in world of bullterrier :). Need some advise please. For the past 6 days my bullie has been throwing up, no rather BURPING up food. She went in to get spayed about 4 days ago. She is not acting abnormal in any way, as lazy as always, eats all her food etc. Not sure what is going on with her. Any thoughts? 

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited September 2013
    My thoughts are you need to get her back to the vet that did her surgery PRONTO, you never know what those idiots can do in there, could have put a couple of sutures in the wrong place... I don't know... But it's not right and he/she owes you a serious explanation.... ( I get the 6 day/ 4 day bit... But they need to look see)
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I agree with Phil. I'd bring her back in to your Vet and let them know what's going on. Now a days my feelings on the way Vets are conducting surgeries on animals pretty much matches up with the thoroughness in how they clean and sanitize their exam rooms and waiting room. :-q

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • It sounds like Acid Reflux (or heart burn) is your pup on Antibiotics or pain meds? that can be a sure cause of heart burn. Cesar has heart burn and snacks that are salty, too much chicken, or some  brands of beef liver will cause his heart burn to act up. he will  "burp" vomit up into his mouth all night or for several nights till I find the cause.

I usually give him a couple Tums-does the trick.

I would try the tums FIRST before rushing her into the vets.

I don't think Tums could do too much damage to a dog. However, it isn't something that comes recommended as a useful medicine for dogs.

http://canigivemydog.com/tums

http://www.ask.com/question/can-you-give-a-dog-tums-for-an-upset-stomach

---------------------

Here's a link I found with some useful tips: http://www.ehow.com/how_6663961_care-spayed-dog-vomiting-diarrhea.html

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks for all the advise. About a week ago I bought her a new bag of dry food. Even though it is exactly the same as the previous bag, that's when it started. My other bull terrier is perfect, but Lady is having acid reflux. Other than that she has no problems. Just as lazy as ever. Right after the spaying she had diarrhea, but I think she was just scared. I will definitely keep an eye on her during the day. She is lactating, as she had a phantom pregnancy. But she plays and goes on like normal. Today was her last day on the prescribed anti inflammatories.
  • I have no advise but I hope your girl is better soon!
  • @ Steve- the reason they recommend against Tums is because, over time it can cause Kidney damage to dogs (as well as people) but I figure the heartburn is due to the medications after the spay surgery, for that case, Tums once a day for a few days isn't going to do any damage.

HOWEVER, for long term (if your dog keeps getting heartburn regularly) then Pepcide AC is a good choice.

I hear ya Kim. Tums isn't a harsh medication by any means. One of those articles above mentions that due to the way a dogs digestive system works in comparison to a humans the use of Tums wouldn't have much of an effect.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com