Skip to content

Attended my first AKC show yesterday.

edited September 2013 in General
Yesterday I went to my first show and was just floored by the EBT's! They were huge! I'm so used to Cookie and JB that when I saw these ones I was, to say the least, very intimidated. Cookie and JB both are a little above 40lbs and 20 inches, these dogs had to have been at least 60-70 and 30 inches. They made my dogs look like minis. One was a huge EBT named Handsome and he had to be at least 90-100lbs. He was the biggest dog I have ever seen as far as muscle and girth go, not to mention his head was like a tank! I didn't get any pictures cause it was my first time attending and I didn't want to come across as a weirdo. I had hopes of showing Cookie, but I don't think she would have a chance when compared to these dogs, even though I think she's perfect, she would look very small in the ring. Is it common in the show world for the dogs to be this big?

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Mr Weirdo! You gotta get dem pikchas man! We wanna see what you saw!!!!!
    (I don't believe size has anything to do with ring acceptance or winning).

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I believe the EBT has the largest show-able weight range of any breed, 30-80lbs...
  • The BT Handsome wasn't showing, he is 7 (if I remember correctly) and already finished with all his stuff, I'm new to the show world, but did catch he got his ROM. I have no idea what that is, but I'll assume it's something great. There is show in November that I was invited to, so I'll make sure to sneak some pics then for everyone.
  • Yea from what iv been reading that sive has nothing to do with show quality but how presentable ur dog is... but im new so I could be wrong lol
  • Don't let those other dogs intimidate you! Bull Terriers are judged on size- their is NO weight/height requirments in the standard, its all about shape!!

my tiny Chimera toping out at 37 pounds is as thin as a twig, but I have MANY compliment her on her near perfect structure-only reason shes not being shown is due to her breeder also fearing her size is too small.

if I had full rights on her, we would be showing like crazy!

give a go and take Cookie out and have some fun! even if you don't win, its still fin to attend!

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @Stoeger - Kim is absolutely correct there is no actual weight standard. The Bull Terrier description will note that the average male to weigh 50 - 75 pounds and the average female to weigh 40 - 65 pounds. However, the AKC breed standard does not mandate any weight range. The same goes for the height. People will depict height averages to be from 18" - 22" but AKC does not define specific height regulations either.

@Boyda - Most often the BT's at the shows have nice big heads and thick necks so sometimes their height and even weight can throw you off. I can assure you there was no 30" BT's there. I've never even seen a 25" Bull Terrier or a 100 lbs one. They can be so buff and thick they look it though.

One of our males is 22" and weighs 84 pounds. I have seen photos of slightly bigger BT's but never personally seen one. Most that have met Rocky in person have commented as to him being the biggest they've seen.

Here's a few photos of him.

Rocky and Julie.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 763K
    Rocky and Kalie 1.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 781K
    Rocky and Kalie 2.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 820K
    03 Rocky custom.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 439K
    Rocky - May 11, 2013 (12).JPG
    2144 x 1424 - 864K
    Rocky and white puppy.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 812K
    Rocky - May 11, 2013 (4).JPG
    2144 x 1424 - 833K
    Makoa and Rocky.jpg
    2935 x 1840 - 4M
    I'm Hungry.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Here's a slide show with Lucian. He is 20" and about 72 pounds and he does very well at the shows. I think there's many qualities that are considered in the shows but Size and Weight aren't big factors.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • This beast is shaped like a beer keg, ha!
    aa99b59f55214da187be725e46135d.jpg
    500 x 436 - 22K
  • Another example of a giant...
    1150985_10201894300338350_52876723_n_zps76691dee.jpg
    477 x 603 - 49K
  • I love both my dogs to death, but when I compare them to the other beasts I lose confidence. I think her head has a nice curve to it, but her head is not as wide as the ones I saw. The other BT's seemed to have a slope, but they didn't seem to have the nice curved profile Cookie has. I guess there is only one way to find out how well she'll do, and that's by sticking her in the ring one day.
    image.jpg
    648 x 756 - 165K
  • Your girl has a nice head!

But remember-its the over-all body shape that is most important-not just the head! a dog with a stunning head but poor topline is going to loose a lot of points for sure-most likely loosing placement in the show.

and, to be honest, i do not care for extremely heavy or large Bullies-they were never meant to be Mastiffs!

they are Terriers, meant to be agile as well as athletic.

i  perfere the smaller Bullies, and i wouldn't want a male much larger then 70-75 pounds. Cesar is nice and compact at 63 pounds.

Those people who are purposely pushing for 90-100 pound bullies are only bringing in health problems for the breed by shortening lifespans, creating more heart problems as well as joint issues.

that is why it is not uncommon for Matiffs, Danes and Wolfhounds to not live past the age of 8 years old.

Also, bloat was unheard of in our breed, however, i have recently been encountering quite a few people whos very large Bullies have been suffering from it-which i find coincidental.

Even those top name kennels started out somewhere-exactly where you are now Boyda, unsure of themselves and their dogs. try not to stress about it or feel intimidated!

• I can't say I've ever heard of bloat in these breed either, interesting to know. I'll try to get a pic of her stacked today, it's hard to do by yourself! Three of the BT's that were shown came from the same breeder, so maybe that's why they all were so similar.
  • oh I know how that is!!!

not hard to stack a dog by yourself-its stack while taking a photo that's hard!!!

what I would so with Chimera was to grab a long stick and hold it above her head while I crouched down to take a photo, wasn't always the best-but they did well enough to have a good long look over.

TU (18).jpg
    768 x 576 - 87K
  • I love her coloring, I'm a sucker for the darker colors (it matches my soul! MUAHAHAHA! JK!) how old is she again?
  • I just watch your video of Lucian Steve, for some reason I had imagined him being a lot taller for some reason, but he is such a chunk of hunk! Do you show him a lot?
    He's owned by Craig and Terri (Bullies of NC Jacksonville). But to answer your question, no we don't show him very often. With his schedule as well as mine it's difficult to commit to some of the bigger shows which provide majors. Lucian has done very well in the shows he's attended. The one from above that you viewed was a few months ago at a 3 day show in Raleigh where he picked up Best in Breed all 3 days. Lucian actually needs one more major to earn his champion. He's not a very big Bullie but he is stocky with a nice sized head. His muzzle is short and wide as well which gains a lot of attention at the shows.

Lucian BOB Mar 24, 2013.jpg
    600 x 488 - 85K
    LUCIAN'S 1ST POINT.001.JPG
    2928 x 2352 - 1M
    Lucian.png
    480 x 558 - 228K
    Lucian - Mar 16, 2013 (2).jpg
    3264 x 1840 - 1M
    Lucian - Raleigh Mar 22-24, 2013 (184).JPG
    600 x 450 - 47K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • He is a beautiful dog Steve!
  • @Boyda

She's 16 months old now- that photo she was 9 months.

here is a more recent one of her when me and my BF took them out fishing.

@ Steve-Lucian is  a VERY handsome boy!

08-27-13 (10).JPG
    1837 x 1223 - 957K
  • @xchairity_casex The dangling stick method is what I used to capture Stogie's bean-bag pic, I inadvertently stacked him in that pic, haha! Would have been better if the bean-bag wasn't weighing his head down, lol.
    033_zps7b1a1fcd.jpg
    800 x 600 - 88K
    I have a Hunting App on my phone that makes the sounds of animals. If I turn any of them on I can get them alert and attentive in a second while someone else takes photos. Seems to work like a charm. ;)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I would love to show Lucian more than he is.  He is a wonderful Bullie and does very well at shows.  Most of the shows in our areas do not have bullies entered.  Others would see this as a great thing and would stack the field with thier own Bullies to get the Major.  To see Lucian in person you would not know he misses the shows because he is full of life and happy and content to be curled up at your feet, running and playing in the yard and sleeping with my son.  Oh yeah his girlfriends are here as well. :x
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • Found a picture online of the big brindle boy I was amazed by, he looks smaller in his picture then when I saw him, but the picture is from '09
    image.jpg
    415 x 294 - 63K
    A very nice SOLID Brindle!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Very vice Roman Head.  Love them brindles.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • He was just drop dead gorgeous and such a gentleman. One day I hope to be able to bring a pup all the way through the ring like him (or Lucian!) hehehe! Here's my attempt at stacking Cookie. Honest opinions please, is she a good representive of the breed? She's only 15 months, and I'm hoping she'll thicken out a wee bit, but I think my hopes might be to high.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    She is just SMASHING ! ( you gotta teach her to stop her tail wagging for the camera though!) :D
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • You have no idea how long it took me to be able to get that picture! It's hard to stack and take a photo!
  • Cookie is a very nice girl! her angulation in her knees is a bit exhuagerated (which IMO looks much better then over angulated)  and her shoulder is a bit short. but otherwise very well put together, a  nice top line and good jaw. from  her side she seems like a well put together female!

going purely by her side profile as well as his, your girl could easily compete with that solid brindle, he has weak pasterns and a short shoulder as well.

• I had to look up pretty much google everything you just said, I'm a picture book type of person! Hahaha! Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • I don't know much about all that either but I know what I like and she's very pretty :x
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • I agree with you Leslie! I don't know what's 'suppose' to look good but I know what I like and she's gorgeous!
    I think she is really wonderful... BUT i think the bricks in your fireplace are exhuagerated, and your speakers might be a bit over-angulated.... ( Shows you how much I understand about show ring terminology too B-)
  • Hahaha, my brick are most defiantly not to standard. The white saddle marked brick just throws off the whole conformation! All thanks to a three year old with a crayon.
    @Boyda - I think your Bullie looks fantastic! There aren't too many BT's that I don't find attractive. I love them all.

The show Bullies of today that are winning the awards normally are big boned with large heads and wide short muzzles. One thing is for sure, any Bull Terrier with a nice head will draw quick attention at any show. Slender, long legged, narrow headed Bull Terriers that are light in weight don't pan out too well. Your Bullie may not have the biggest head in the world but she does have very nice structure. The photo of her looks excellent.

Another big thing to keep in mind is the training involved in the ring. You could the absolute best looking BT in the world but he or she may not present themselves well in the ring. The judge looks at more than just the structure and conformation of each dog. Ask Craig about the 2 dogs at the last show that never even got to walk the ring before they were disqualified. Any display of aggression to people or other dogs will get them tossed.
    A show dog needs to maintain a reputable temperament and character at all times. They are judged off their presentation in the ring. A crazy untrained Bullie jumping up in excitement or pulling on lead or ignoring their handler isn't going to win a show. Here in America the shows aren't as critical as they are in other countries where they pay very close attention to the whether or not the lead is being used as it tightens around the dogs neck or whether it remains loose as the dog reacts naturally to the handler as they move around the ring. Practicing this at home is great but the test will be how well that dog reacts in the ring with hundreds of other dogs around.
    Here's a video of one of our studs (Nitro) who has already earned his champion title in Poland. I've posted this photo before in the past but if you pay attention to the slack on the lead you'll understand what I mean about proper control and handling. (It's not all about looks) ;)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Pics and vids of Beautiful-Bullies, love it!
  • Steve is right about a well-mannerd bullie gets  more attention then an ill mannerd one-however, the Terrier group in general gets a lot more "wiggle" room when it comes to  good manners on the lead, Terriers are SUPPOSED to have personality in the shower ring,

A happy-go-lucky nature  that is allowed to shine thru is also something the judge likes to see in Bull Terriers.

a strictly handled bullie who is  kept in perfect line like a robot is not a welcomed sight to a judge.

Very true. No robots, just well trained obedient Bullies that capture the attention of their audience by their good natured character. However, there's a definitive difference between natural terrier personality and a untrained, undisciplined Bull Terrier. Something easily noticed at any show. To date I don't think I've ever seen any Bull Terrier regardless of training be kept in perfect line and project themselves in a manner uncommon to the spunk of a Bull Terrier.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com