Skip to content

Corns on pads of feet:(

ok does anyone else have a BT with this issue? when my female was a puppy i took her to my vet for this as it affected her walking and the way her pads jit the ground when she walks. i was told to file them down periodically to keep them flush. also her pads arent soft like a normal paw pad would be its course and rough. she has 3 diffrent corns and yesterday i found one on my male:( WTF!!!! where do these come from and is their a better way to get rid of them than just filing them down? my male will never sit still and let me saw on his feet!!! i want to remove them not file them. any idead anyone???
20121009_171704.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M
Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC

I think the best thing you can do is to start applying some cream to his paws since they are so dry. The Vet can prescribe some meds for their feet but I've seen many over the counter creams that are made specifically for dry, cracked, and calloused paws. Here are a few:

Paw Pad Cream 01.jpg
    220 x 220 - 12K
    Paw Pad Cream 02.jpg
    350 x 350 - 28K
    Paw Pad Cream 03.jpg
    250 x 250 - 7K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Iwill start their for sure i didnt know they made anything like this course i never had a dog with issues like these two seem to:(  where do these come from?? my guess is bad genetics?!!
  • i dont know how to explain the feel or get a close enough or clear pic but their like tenicles around the corns the vet said its corns only gave me a longer more obnoxious name for it or scientific if you will. 
  • the corn on hers i just sanded down but look at the other pads their like white......tenicles. 
    20121011_173715.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M

It appears like a fungus or yeast infection. Bacteria of all sorts can cause an infection like this. Is it red between the toes?

I would treat for infection and provide him with some good cream for his dry, chapped paws.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • fungus/bacteria/infection shampoo.
  • Where do I get the cream and this shampoo??
  • No red inbetween the toes on either dog.
    PetSmart carries it as well as as few other big pet supply stores. You can also pick some up from your Vet.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I lied Brutus has red between his toes and what looks to be sores in some areas. Thanks:)

If that's the case than he does have some type of fungal infection. Easily treated with the products mentioned above.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I got some bagbalm today and my petsmart doesn't have the shampoo in stock but I can order it online also had trouble finding the cream but I ordered that thru amazon:) thanks for the help much appreciated:)!!
  • Haven't got the cream or shampoo yet but the bagbalm is working already!! I'm betting this is why he was limping as he got kinda lip currly with me when I was rubbing it in the big cracks on his paw and he got swatted then decided to let me just go ahead and HELP him!!! Day 2 and looking much better =D>
    That's good news!!! He'll be jumping for joy in a few days.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I want to thank you soo much for the website and specifically this thread, the other day Winston my bull terrior started limping, his nails are starting to get long but i was sure it was something worse so i googled bull terrior paw pad and Boom this came up, im going to get the bagbalm tommorow as well as the soap but what is the cream for and what do you do with it? For some reason I can't see it? Also his pad does look like its spreading but not torn or anything and I'm pretty sure he's not going to let me file on it, also any good techniques for trimming nails and keeping ears clean ? Thank you Michael Marentes
    I think in most cases the Bag Balm will solve the problem. The pads on a dogs feet can become very dry at times and begin to crack causing pain. There are many products that will soften the pads and solve the problem. Bag Balm is found in many stores and can be used for so many skin ailments that you'll soon find it to be your first choice for treating these type of conditions.

bag_balm.jpg
    240 x 240 - 21K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • The other is a cream called protecta-pad made by tomlyn. Good stuff found it on Amazon.com and the ear cleaner I got from my vet and used cotton balls to wipe around. If its cracked pads that are causing the lamness the bag balm will work wonders!!!! Welcome and good luck, pictures please!!!!
  • The cream is for cracked pads as well and I never had to purchase the soap between the bag balm and cream problem was solved:)
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited July 2013
    Design Flaw... Well God doesn't create design flaws, but humans can sure build them in. With EBTs there are a combination of factors.... Body weight versus foot pad size, the nail quick (vein) grows long into the nail, and they hate having their feet futzed with. This causes the nails to be allowed to grow longer than they should, the nail hits the ground, turning the paw pad sideways. This causes uneven wearing and calluses out to one side. Problem is, once a skew stance sets in, its hard to correct. Solution... Cut the nails often, like twice a week or more, cutting very little every time but working back as close to the quick as you can. Make sure the nails never touch the ground when standing normally. Especially front feet. Work in bright sun where you can see the position of the quick in the nail. NEVER cause pain when handling feet.. Particularly when cutting.. Bullies never forget. Handle a puppies' feet often from when they are tiny, so they get used to it and know you're not going to hurt. Typically the only time we handle feet is to attend a problem (pain) . By which time they will tell us who owns them. Use Mushers or other creams mentioned here once a week, the more they exercise, the more Mushers needed. Trick is to start early so the problem hopefully never starts.... I bet you AbitaCooper24 reads this thread in prep... And he doesn't even have his puppy yet!... 'cause he has the patience of Job.
    image.jpg
    142 x 129 - 7K
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.