Skip to content

Opinion on Micro-chipping

edited August 2013 in General
I just want to know everybody's take and opinion on microchipping puppies

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I'm completely for it and think it's a great thing to do. I wish it was mandated for every dog and cat born and the Vet would either check to ensure the dog or cat was micro-chipped during their 1st checkup and vaccinations. In the event there was no microchip found they would be required to have one implanted right then and there. Along with the mandated requirement for the microchip would include the contact of the breeder the dog or cat came from. This way if the animal was ever abandoned or forfeited the breeder would become responsible for the welfare and re-adoption of the animal they helped create. In the event they couldn't take on this responsibility they would be fined and lose any breeding license or authorization to breed permanently. Could you image how many puppy mills, backyard breeders, and phony "hobby breeders" this would impact? There's no question this would decrease the amount of animals being euthanized and getting dropped off at the shelters. Breeders with no dedication to the breed who lacked the morals and responsibilities of the animals they produced would be forced to find some other means of making money and all the so called "Hobby" breeders would be saying "Oh crap now what do I do? I can't dedicate to more than 3 dogs and now I'm forced to take care of the my past puppies who are now unwanted wild dogs requiring extensive training or medical attention?"  Instant cure to non-dedicated and phony breeders.
    There only problem about micro-chipping is that there are people who are avidly against implanting any foreign object into their dog or cat. Some think it may pose a health risk and others simply want nothing to do with it.
    Anyhow, I highly recommend it!

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Tattooing is also an option. I'm not sure how I feel about it but our vet wants us to consider both.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Tattooing!? , are you talking about turning my Stoeger into a RedNeck Bullie!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I did microchipping. I live in an area where the possibility of theft can happen. In the event the Spud goes missing I'd like for it to be a perfect world and have a nice family turn him in if anything where the chip can be checked.

Otherwise I'd post flyers and whatever mentioned he is chipped. In order to receive any vet care and the dog is microchipped the vet or whomever (shelters, humane society, etc.) would contact the rightful owner first. It's a plus.
  • Im not a big fan personally, nothing wrong with anyone else getting it done-but you wont catch me getting my pets micro chipped anytime soon.

I hear too many people having to implant a new chip every 6-12 months because the chips become misplaced and lost, and im an all natural kinda girl, don't like the idea of having 12 or more micro chips floating around in my pet doing lord knows what to their cells.

but, this is just my stange opinion-based on nothing but my own thought process

• Stoeger would love an I Heart Mom tat...

On a serious note, how the heck can they lose the chip?
    That's a good question. None of mine ever have.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Because until hearing that, I was all set to chip.

I couldn't see a reason not to...
    I don't see any reason not to. The chip could move from it's original location but if it does it usually isn't more than an inch. However, even if the chip mysteriously started swimming through the skin and ended up at the tip of tail it would still be able to be scanned. Obviously this could never happen. The chip looks like a grain of rice. All they do is insert the chip under the skin usually in between the shoulder blades. AKC offers the chips and holds a database for all dogs micro-chipped.
    Ask your Vet and a few others for their advice. I don't think you'll find any against them. You could always ask a friend or relative about their dog and cat who most likely is chipped. Thousands and thousands of dogs and cats are chipped and if there were an influx of issues with them I don't think there would so many people recommending them. But I can respect people decisions for not wanting to micro-chip.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I kind of like the tattoo thing. I could get one of Maya and she could get one of me!
  • It depends on the animal, I have heard of MANY MANY people who have had the chips get lost, while other people have never had an issue with it.

if you really want the chip, I would say give it a go, if it ends up lost, then I would not bother getting another.

I knew a women with a dachshund who, was so hell bent on having her dog micro chipped that she kept getting new chips implanted every 8 months because they were all getting lost and couldn't be found.

they would get implanted in the neck and several months later be undetectable- WHY she insisted on shelling out the money to get new ones in was BEYOND me, but to each their own I guess...

I think someone was switching out her dog every 6 months. :))
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Yeah, pretty crazy!  i dunno, maybe it has something to do with the person implanting them or the placement-who knows, maybe if its implanted to far to the right it gets washed away or something or coverd and unreadable? i have no clue
  • Hahah!!! I like Xtrachos idea :D They say not to get a tattoo of your girlfriend/boyfriend husband/Wife but nobody said anything about your dog!!!! :-))
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • That's it I'm tattooing Brutus on my Arse!!!! =))
  • I guess we will ask our vet what she uses on her two Bullies.

All she told Stoges_mom was to consider both and get back to her with which way we wanted to go.

Tats are cool, Stoges_mom has one as big as Stoeger on her left side ;)

Maybe I should get a tat and Stoge gets chipped ;)
    1238053_209323559191223_507298341_n.jpg
    480 x 640 - 38K
  • There is a FB page of bullie tattoos. Some of them are horrible....I mean really, really bad.

horrible.jpg
    759 x 338 - 55K
  • Then others are pretty darn good....

good.jpg
    573 x 282 - 43K
  • And then it gets funny...

funny.jpg
    432 x 410 - 47K
  • Hi guys! As a Vet Tech all of my working life and a serious rescuer of momma dogs with very young pups, I DO have all of my foster dogs/pups( and my own of course)'chipped. We hear all kinds of "stuff" about how chips do this or do that etc. They have to be put in right in the first place! Its like hearing that Oh jeez don't vaccinate your dog cause I heard that once a dog died from Parvo anyway so, no vaccines for my dog!

At the clinic we were able to return a number of dogs to their owners just because of a chip! Vegas is the crossroads of the world and lots of dogs get lost or stolen there.   Regarding tattooing. I considered this for my first Bullykid Target but as tattoos are so easy to over look and "blur" after time,  I did not do it. Went for the chip instead. Its too easy to scan for a chip(especially as all animal control orgs and Vets have the scanners or can borrow one)  but not that easy sometimes to find a tattoo on a dog/cat with say, long hair or dark skin. It is also easy to transfer the 'chip info to the forever owner of a foster dog or to a purchaser.

So, YES, I say chip your dog!   Sonja & The Furkids

• All of my Bullies are Micro Chipped.  I have the vet scan them at every appointment.  None have moved and none have gone bad.  I highly encourge this because Bullies can be stolen and sometimes lost.  Now the problem is with Vets-they don't always scan dogs for micro chips to verify the owner.  When I have questioned some vets on this they say they only do it when they have reports of lost animals or if they smell something fishy.  It is a personal decision.  My question is do you want your baby micro chipped in the hopes of getting them back or do you roll the dice and get craps if it happens.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • To go along with what BONC said, not everyone is going to have a scanner to check for the microchip as well. I live in a rural community and of the surrounding vets and shelters I would say only 50 percent have this capability. However a 50 percent chance I would say is better than 0. I have tags on my dogs as well and yes they have lost them but just yesterday it saved them as well....
  • edited September 2013
    Chip it is for Stoeger then!

Thanks for the input!!!