Skip to content

Neuter Care

Looks like I will be taking Spud in to get neutered in the next few weeks. What type of care should I prepare for? For those who have any of their males fixed please let me know.

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited August 2013
    Why do you want to fix him? Such a beautiful baby.. You should stud him.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Just out of curiosity, what's your reason for wanting to alter him? I understand you may not have any intentions of breeding but other than that reason what others do you have?

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Soapskid, non its a very routine surgery just keep it clean and watch for swelling and any irritation and try not to let him lick on it a whole lot.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Soapskid....we had our Male Lab neutered when he was very young.  Didn't change the fact that if he found a girl, he still wanted to breed. :)>-
  • Lol, I live in an area with a lot of dogs that are off leash and that aren't fixed and dont want to run into any accident. He's also shown some aggression towards other dogs, two specifically at the park and won't stop trying to do the dirty work with them.

I don't plan on breeding him ever although I would love to stud him out for a companion in the future but that would be a lot of work. I guess I can wait and see how he turns out in the next few months. Any other suggestions.
    edited August 2013
    They say that neutering reduces aggression, but I don't believe it... You'll need to get him to understand that aggression won't be tolerated, whether he is neutered or not.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I agree with Phil. Also, more times than not I hear something along the lines of "I neutered my dog but he still humps everything." Thinking castrating them is the end all to humping. Or the ignorant "If you don't get your dog fixed he's going to hump everything."
  • Having a female fixed definately calms her down.  Our Male Lab is very laid back, but then that does run in this breed.  Can't say having him neutered changed him from aggression.  Buster will give alfa to a mouse!  I would think it does calm a male down some too.  My female will go red on one out of ten dogs.  It's body language to them.  Weather their fixed or not.  If a dog is aggressive towards Buster eventually he tries to 'blow smoke' by being noisy and showing his teeth.  (I say it that way because he doesn't break the skin when he bites.)

• He doesn't look that aggressive.
    image.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M
    He looks like a big handsome pussy cat.... I am sure he is just trying to be overly, boisterously, playful and the other dumb dogs see it as a threat to their fragile egos, and get all grumbley and negative...  And he says; "well if you don't want to play nice, UP YOURS!"
  • Yea, they seem more like isolated incidents. I just need to be firm. Every other dog he's been just wanting to play with. I'll likely hold off for now on neutering him. I'd like to get some health test done but need to find out more about doing that.
    Yes,
    Leave them Family Jewels alone already!