Skip to content

Webcams

edited August 2013 in General
I know some of us got to run errands and leave our bullies in their crate. Has anyone set up a webcam to monitor then just in case? If so what setup do you have?

Comments

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Yes, We use them all the time, real simple, pretty cheap.... I'll email you the details and try and post a link here...
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    edited August 2013
    These are the ones we use... they have cheaper too. They are great because you can PT and also hear and talk... wireless so all you need is a WAP at home, can see from mobile phone, tablet and computer..... If using mobile, careful your carrier isn't a rip-off artist on data... (I have Wifi hotspot in my car so when I drive two hours to Miami and two hours back I can watch and listen to them all the time at no cost)... you can move them around at home dependent on where they are... we put one on the patio when they are out there:

http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8910w-white-wireless-ip-camera.html

Sometimes we're out 6 or 7 hours and the tendency is to rush home unless you can see they are still sleeping... Picture quality is great.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Please post a link Phil. I'd like to see what you're utilizing. I am looking to upgrade my cameras. What I'm looking for is a good quality wireless setup that can be viewed via smartphone and capable of setting to view through an internet site as a live stream.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited August 2013
    Phil - Your post beat me by a second or two. Thanks for the link.

What kind of distance can these cameras cover?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited August 2013
    From what you describe, those are exactly what you want, Steve.... there are bundles that are cheaper if you buy two... careful and be sure to buy weatherproof if you want them outside .. regular ones not... antennas are strong though, so you can put them a good distance from your wap.

Yes, I've been going through their website. My concern would be the distance they're able to transmit. I may have to call them and find out. I like their outdoor pan camera. http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8919w-wireless-ip-camera.html. I'm wondering if it will have the range from house to Kennel.

A couple of these for indoor monitoring would be great for keeping a constant watch on litters as well as home security. http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8910w-2-pack-bundle-white-with-9dbi-antennas-7-peice-adjustable-mounting-bracket-77.html

Much better than the old (outdated) stuff I'm using now.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    edited August 2013
    What's the chance of running a Cat5 out to the kennel and placing a WAP there?  Overhead or direct burial would be fine.... even overhead use direct burial cable, I probably have a roll in the warehouse for you. If you want to check your signal strength out there currently, take your laptop out and see if you can surf consistently or go www.speakeasy.net and do a speed test out there. Better still put a network analyzer app on your phone and see how connection speed varies, house vs kennel.

I guess I could always hang a signal extender somewhere at the half way. I'm unfamiliar with the use and benefits of a WAP.
    To run a Cat5 would be a big project and I would still need to setup a signal box right outside the backdoor area that caught the WiFi signal from my router and then bury the Cat5 all the way to my kennel. I think it would be better just to mount a signal booster somewhere out the back door area that would have the capability to reach the kennel.
    I'll figure out a way to at least receive a signal that will be useable.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    If you put one of these, wired to your router, on the outside wall, under the eave, facing the kennel, you should be find with up to a dozen cameras out there:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFI-Outdoor-Access-802-11b/dp/B0066DV06I/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y
    Thanks for all the info Phil. I plan on getting a new setup soon and when I do I'll be revisiting this thread!

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks Phil.  I am going to have to try this as well.  Beats the baby monitor we use now.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • Lots of information. I'll have to digest it in the morning. What do I need to complete a 1-2 camera system in my room? Other than the camera what are the other necessary items?
    As long as you get wireless ones, just a wireless network and a power point.