Skip to content

Hoping to add a new member to our little family....

edited August 2013 in General
This is my first post on the forum.  I have been browsing for a couple of days.  We are expecting the arrival of a new MBT puppy some time in October and we are quite excited but also a little anxious.  We are first time dog owners and know the challenges of this breed, but felt it was right for us and our family.

I have been doing tons of research and feel that we are prepared for the most part.  Concern is our son who is 2 years old.  He, like the MBT is high energy.  That is kind of the reason we wanted a bullie as we did not want to subject a "docile" dog to him.  

I'm just curious if people have recommendations on how to acclimate these two (my son and the pup) to each other.  I know they obviously have to be supervised when together, but are there ways to integrate a new pup into a family with a young child?  While my son is high energy, he is also quite gentle so not worried about him being aggressive with the pup.

Thanks and I'm happy to be a part of this community.

Comments

• I'm a nanny and tomorrow will be the first time I introduce stoeger to the three and and almost two year old. Stoeger is nine weeks old and surprisingly gentle with all the children he has met so far, I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I am interested in seeing others responses and ill be more than happy to share how our first day with the boys goes!
  • Thanks for the reply.  I'm interested too.  I have seen numerous articles on how bullies are "good with kids."  I was not really looking for advice on integrating a bull terrier and my son, but more general tips on integrating a new puppy and my son.

Of course I realize that a bull terrier is going to be different than a yorkie, but still interested in hearing thoughts on this topic.  
  • Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new family member!!!!! I wish I could help but my kids are older by far. I can say that for the first 2 weeks our Apollo was the most docile little guy. After that it was like someone lit a firework under his butt! ;) He's only 5 months old, and of course very much acts the part of puppy, but he doesn't hesitate to jump up on the kids beds for a good snuggle session too!! I did read in a training book that it helps if you add the children into the puppies training sessions. Teach them to sit and then let the kids get them to sit and treat. I don't know if it works, but it's worth a shot!! Good luck! I know someone on here has some great advice just waiting!!!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Due to the fact your getting your MBT as a young puppy you shouldn't have any problems as long as you can ensure no kids are riling him up and causing the puppy to become more hyper than he will be naturally. Expect that there will be times where the puppy will jump up or play rough as a youngster will. Just be prepared to be firm and consistant with your training and discipline. They are smart dogs but can be stubborn when they're young. Your son is fortunate to have the opportunity to grow up with a Bull Terrier. I'm confident they will become best of friends. ;)

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Awesome video!!! Welcome!!! Yes involve the 2 yr old in traing this will help establish pack order. Dont repeat the command though just make the dog sit for instance otherwise the command is comming from you not the kid. Let the kid feed treat ect. :) another lucky kid!!!! Congratulations:)
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Agree with Steve. Maya was quite rambunctious with  my 5 yr old grand daughter when we welcomed her to the family at 8 weeks. She's 7 months now and much more docile with Ariana. Maya still has her moments where she can be a little rough with Ariana, but for the most part the two are quickly becoming best buddies. These photos below would never have been possible 3 months ago.

love.jpg
    648 x 263 - 42K
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited August 2013
    Hi and very welcome. If you've been browsing you'll see that you'll find some pretty solid and, more importantly, very open and compassionate help here. My perspective on Bullie pups and kids.... ( my youngest is 38, but we've had bullies since our kids were 7 )....
    The behaviour with kids is no different to how it will be with adults, the only difference being that (literally) the impact with kids is greater than it is with adults. If an out-of-control Bullie pup barrels into the back of your legs you may lose balance and get peeved off, but with a 2 year old the consequences could obviously be greater. The key is to ensure that they don't get out of hand too much while growing up... for your sake as well as the child.
    For the first 8 to 9 months you are going to need to be sure that the two are never alone unsupervised... unless you are fortunate or diligent enough to totally eliminate unruly behaviour in a shorter period. I don't believe many here will disagree with my timeline... Granted some have been fortunate to bring up pups along with older dog family members, and this example helps speed the process. As an example, and our furkids have, for the most part outgrown indoor misbehavior, my 8 month old boy was disturbed by the noise made by our blender this morning, and jumped up on my back, pretty gently, but sufficiently to push the spoon that I had in my hand, stirring, into the blades, ... end of glass blender. You are going to need to discipline the newby from day one to get him to understand what acceptable behaviour is. Once beyond the boisterous period you can relax somewhat. My son's 3 year old Giant Schnauzer could have done the same thing if the blender noise troubled him, but our 8 month old bullies are the more likely suspects. So it's not so much Bullies, it's just their size, strength and energy that need curtailing and kids that need that extra protection while the Bullies are learning. On the other hand, if your two year old ( I'm sure he doesn't, but) pulls tails, picks pups up by the hind legs and drops them on the head,... Then with any dog you have a problem, and Bullies are not immune... They just don't forget as quickly as other breeds. The "good with kids" part comes from the fact that they will love and protect all family members and they treasure your affection ... When they are young they don't understand that having fun all the time isn't exactly what you want, when they mature they will kiss and lick your kids to death :-) ... Keep communicating and I am sure you'll find some variations, but all your answers will be here.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • @Xtracho those photos make me smile and give me hope. Ha!

@phisergeant thank you for that thought out post.  It makes total sense.  I know my son is not going to be a tail puller or an ear puller.  He is high energy, but very gentle.  I am getting him prepared by making sure he gently pets all his stuffed dogs (we have a stuffed mini bull terrier) and any pictures of dogs he sees in books.  He is still somewhat wary of dogs we see on the outside, so I know he is not going to be a problem as far as annoying or hurting the pup.  I was also thinking that until the pup was a year old and my son is 3 that we would need to be diligent with supervision.  

I have to say that I have seen a really positive vibe on this forum compared with some other "dog forums" I have browsed.  Glad to be a part of the community and I will continue to update and/or seek advice.  

Thank you!
  • Welcome to the forum Fbones24!!

Here are some video updates on how things are going with Stoges_mom and the three little boys (Stoeger, Miles & Henry).

The last vid is my favorite, haha!!!

• =)) love the last one!!!!! He's doing great with the kids!!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    LMAO! =))

Honk..Honk...
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Oh my god, that one with the broom reminded me of my son!!!   :-*

He has that same broom and absolutely loves "cleaning."  

The last one was great!!! 
    :))
  • I haven't spoken with Stoges_mom today but those are the videos she texted me so far...

I'd say he's doing well. I'm fairly certain that when you hear the broom hit the floor in the vid, that Stoge pulled it out of the boys hand off camera.

The last vid cracked me up!
  • Lol last one is too funny.
  • edited August 2013
    The Three Little Pigs...
    002.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 639K
    027.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 619K
    029.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 675K
    001.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 620K
    002.JPG 639.1K
    027.JPG 618.9K
    029.JPG 675.3K
    001.JPG 619.6K
    edited August 2013
    Stoeger & Mom,
    (don't shoot the messenger, please... just trying to help)...
    I love the videos, they give such an insight as to how much joy the little rascal is bringing to your home already.
    At 9 lbs that little beauty is no problem at all barrelling down the hallway... but with all of our babes, they gain grando pounds before they learn grando lessons.  It won't be long at all before you see 29lbs coming down the hallway at 20mph and your kids going flying. (Your boys are almost as beautiful as Stoger, ....kidding, I'm already treading thin ice, they are more handsome).....  Running in the house is like pooping... we teach them from the very start to pee and poop when they see grass (or snow, you lucky guys).... and running has to be taught the same way.... NO RUNNING IN THE HOUSE... even at an age when it's as cute as heck. Running must be seen as pooping... they can only do it on grass or in the yard.  Our kids still very, very infrequently "break out" in a romp.. Marco banged into a wall a month ago that, for a split second, my wife and I looked at each other and said, "wow, that's a strong wall"... and a half second later we heard the paintings on the other side of the wall coming down and smashing her prize table ornaments. They have been told ...... NO RUNNING IN THE HOUSE.... since they were 8 weeks... if we'd allowed them to run at all without admonishment, it'd be much worse.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • I hear ya! I'm a nanny and watch these two little boys once a week! He doesn't do too much running inside, this video is the most ever and I think because Henry was so excited an loved stoge chasing the gator thing. Stoges house is much more confined and I did have to teach him how to play fetch but really no running room! I appreciate the heads up and we took it outside after that! And would it be bragging if I said he is potty trained already!?!? I was nervous about it being in a new environment but he did so well! I am one proud fur mom!
    Stoeger played so gentle with the babies even though I would never trust them alone together! He didn't even nip them! He was greatly praised for that! The older boy (3) is a little nervous around dogs but after I showed him how to get stoeger to sit he was a lot better. The boys call he stoegurt, their first love obviously yogurt and I thought it was too funny. Lol
    Yes, it was VERY impressive to see how soft he was with the kids already! Very unusual. Sorry, I thought those were your boys, didn't pick up on the nanny bit... Okay, so Stoges IS more handsome! :-))
  • Lol no worries! Yea I think we got very lucky with his behavior so far..... But you know about counting eggs and chickens and all that so I'm just waiting for the worst( just in case) he has had a couple episodes where he forgets that he isn't boss and we've had to pin him down but maybe those days he just didn't get enough exercise? So I've been working harder or trying to get him a little more active with out causing too much stress on developing joints. So, in my experience HE has been good with All the children so far and seems to enjoy their company. But I don't want to tell anyone that THEIR bully would be the same, as I said before I still wouldn't leave him alone with a child.
    Yes... Exercise is the key to being able to relax sometimes... If they don't come back from their daily workout panting with their tongues hanging out and steam radiating off their coats... You didn't do enough, trust me. But he's young yet... Three times around the house at a good clip should be enough ( for now :-) )
  • Yea he is a little odd because at our house in the yard he just lays in the sun and doesn't wanna excert any energy BUT at the park or anywhere else he is go go go! Lol and as soon as he sees us 'working' in the yard he is ready to go in and wants no part! Hmmm reminds me of teenagers...
  • Lol, wait until the walk along with park twice a day. At one point from 4 1/2 months until about 6 months I took him to the dog park twice a day. Now it's just longer morning sessions.