Skip to content

It is almost FALL! Beware of fallen fruit....

I am aware that you all probably know this, but just in case, beware of those fruit trees that are in the Stone Fruit catagory. If you have none of these yourself, think about where you may be visiting with your furkid and what might be growing in that yard!

I am trying very hard to keep plums picked up these days and as plum trees are wild here it is not easy. Wild Plums can form thickets so I try my best to cut down newly ermerging trees. The fruit is delicious but having two of those old trees is enough! My Savannah girl( tracking dog) got really sick a number of years ago. I got her to the vets and right in the waiting room she threw up a fist-sized glop of plum seeds! So since then I've been really careful. I don't mind the dogs eating the occasional downed  apple from the tree and the deer get most of those. Still....

Another thing to be aware of with fruit of any kind that lays on the ground too long. It draws lots of unpleasent vespids that can sting our dogs, Hornets are especially fond of this rotting/fermenting  fruit. You don't want to know why I know this!  It was just one of those  really -bad-terrible-horrible days.
 Stay safe!  Sonja, Pumba & Brooklyn

Comments

• We only have apple and pear trees around here along with black berries, raspberries, blueberries and thimble berries, and my two absolutely LOVE this time of year due to all the edibles around us and in the woods!

just today while on our walk-we only walked about 15 minutes into the woods-but spent several hours picking and eating the fruit! I throw apple like balls for the dogs to fetch and we all will pick berries off the bushes.

But yes, peaches and plums with large pits cannot be to good for a dog-cause a good blockage!

• We have a huge pear tree.  Willie get all she wants.  So far it hasn't made her sick. :-*
  • Yes. This is so true! I have to be diligent about picking apples up everyday because Kraken enjoys sitting under the apple tree grazing on rotten apples... He's so naughty.
  • Here in NY we have a few apple trees around believe it or not ;)

I'm gonna have to keep and eye on Stoeger, he loves apples.

If he gets into the fermented ones he might end up having too much fun!!!
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    It's the "horse piles" we have to watch out for here, Marco luvs eating them and Isabella leaps about 3ft over them, she won't go near... strange huh!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Brutus eats it cleo rolls in it dam neighbors horses I'm gonna put a sign in my yard that says quite rideing thru my yard or cleanup after your horse:(
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • HAHA! I would MUCH rather my dogs were messing with horse poop then bear poop-in Upper MI we have bear poopeverywhere this time of year, and the dogs LOVE IT! they eat it and roll in It and play with it and UGH! its everywhere around here
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Geez, you guys must have Bears roaming all over the place! I wouldn't want any of my Bullies bumping into one of those Big Boys!

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    I was going to say, I'd like it on some reliable authority, preferably from the bears themselves, that they like to stay way away from their own poop!
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • edited August 2013
    We had a 300lb Black Bear tear a bird feeder off our front porch last October.

The crash of it coming down woke me up at 2:30am.

It was a tube feeder and once on the ground, he was snorting into it to blow the black oil sunflower seeds out and then eating them.

I watched him through our bay window for quite some time and then he wandered off.

This time of year they're packing on the pounds, hence all the bear poop in the woods.

• When blackberry season is in full swing I plan on take some video of the trail we walk down past black berry bushes and will film just how often we have to tip toe around bear droppings, many people don't beilive me when I tell them we have ALOT of bear up here!

We have encounterd plenty of bears on our walks, the dogs don't bother with them, watch them  and stay close to me-I think they know not to bother them, so I don't worry to often about encountering them.

and in schools up here all the kids learn every year bear safety ;)

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I think I'd be walking my dogs with my 30-06! @-)

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I'm with Steve!!! :|
    I'm told its just one bear. He has a 4x4 Hummer, gets around a lot and poops a ton! >:)
  • =))