Skip to content

Barf/Rawfoods

I'm hearing that Raw food only, has lots of benefit in the long run. Shinier coats, less stools and a more active life. Does anybody knows the average cost of raw per month, if you tried a only raw diet, what type of meats you use and how is your bullie doing on it?

Comments

• We do "Darwins Pet Products" diet with Maya and add a little kibble along with it. We get 20 lbs. every 5 weeks for $105/shipping included. It's an auto-ship so we don't have to do anything and we can change the quantity or delivery schedule whenever we want. It's USDA human quality meats like duck, chicken, turkey and beef. Also with vegetables. It comes in 1/2 lb packages that are easily stored. Recently we've started adding in some boiled chicken/turkey and the occasional scrambled egg. And we are going to start with boiled chicken livers as well. Maya does great and she loves it. Although she does occasionally put on her finicky face...but that's just being a stubborn bullie.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    There are many people that swear by Raw Meats over kibble. In some cases I would have to admit that the protein intake in Raw Meats outweighs most all types of kibble. However, this is where the importance of research comes into play with regard to specific high quality kibble. The majority of kibble brand foods that you may find at your local grocery store lack proper levels of nutrition for a dog. Most of them concentrate on fillers like grain just to put food in the stomach of the dog and add substance and weight to the bag itself.
    The key elements most people look for in dog food are (1) Protein (2) Fat (3) Carbs. Many dry foods out there are very poor in these areas. However, have a look at some of the 5 star grain free foods and look into their nutritional value. As an example, the main ingredient in Victor Grain Free kibble is Beef Meal which is a meat concentrate that contains nearly 300% more protein than fresh beef. You'd have to provide your Bullie an awful lot of Pure Beef to match it. This is why when people that feed their dog strictly Raw Meats because they are concentrating on protein and other factors I'm often wondering if that compared their raw meats to the actual ingredients in top quality kibble. There's good reason why these types of kibble are so pricey.
    I have nothing at all against Raw Meat diets and I think they're productive for a dogs digestive system. However, I don't feel they should be used as a sole source diet. Those that choose not to provide kibble usually add different types of fruits and veggies into their mix. Many reports you'll find documented on the internet explain about the risks associated with Raw Meat diets due to an unbalanced diet that may damage the health of a dog over a prolonged period of time. The Key Words - Balanced Diet. Every dog food company tries to incorporate a balanced diet but most skimp on the essentials due to keeping the cost affordable because the truth is Most people don't thoroughly research what's considered proper diet and nutrition for their dog. This is why foods like Kibble and Bits, Dog Chow, and Pedigree or so popular. Mass produced and cheap.
    My preference will always be to provide my Bullies with a 5 star grain free food supplemented with occasional Raw meats, occasional fruits and vegetables, daily NuVet vitamin, and 2 squirts of Grizzly Oil for the omega-3 they need. To date this combination has proven effected for healthy energetic Bullies free of skin ailments and other health issues.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • But what I'm not understanding Steve is that why most people (outside of the bullie community) are saying kibble mixed with raw is seriously bad
    I have yet to see that. I think it would be very hard for anyone to provide authentic guidance when they are simply using "kibble" in general verse one specific brand of kibble. I guess it would be like generalizing the word cereal when comparing breakfast cereals. It would be wrong for people to say cereal is not good for people because it's generalized. I guess it would depend on what they are referring it to. It could be Captain Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, or Coco Puffs vice Raisin Bran, Total, or Wheaties.
    Please understand I don't provide Raw Meat as a daily food. I provide it on occasion as I do with fruits and veggies. Their main source of daily food is kibble - a Good kibble at that.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • AtibaCooper24-the reason Kibble and raw mixed are "bad" is because of a few reasons.

#1. raw meat and kibble digest at different rates-Kibble has a lot of grain and fillers that dogs bodies were not designed to digest.

dogs have short digestive tracts and strong stomach acid-designed for digesting meat and bones-which are digested quickly (feed a dog a raw bone and 12 hours later he will poop it out-feed a dog kibble and 24-36 hours later he will poop it out)

humans, and other omnivores have  much longer digestive tracts allowing the vegetation we eat to be broken down and digested easier-ever wonder why deer,cows and horses have several stomach chambers or chew their "cud"? because all they eat is vegetation-so their tracts are VERY long so they can get as much nutrition from it.

despite what many people "claim" dogs systems have not had a very long time to "evole" enough to make the transition from "carnivore" to "omnivore" dog food has only been around since around the late 1940's to early 1950" does that seem like long enough for a stomach to completely change its shape, form and function?

#2. anything other then meat and bones WILL cause bowel irritation, grains, fruits, vegtibles, sugars, vegtible oils etc. when the bowel is irritated-it is unhealthy, working over time to keep bad bacteria from being absorbed into the blood stream.

when a dog eas kibble and fillers, his bowels are in a constant state of irritation-introduce the bactier from raw meat and your morel ikly to end up with a dog who gets food poinsoning-not because of the meat being spoiled-but because the layer of tissue  linning the bowel was irritated allowing those bacteria to be absorbed into the blood stream and wreck havoc.

NOW, don't get me wrong, a good kibble is still a good kibble, the reason being that-it has less irritants then a bad kibble.

but im Biase from my research, and to me a kibble is still a kibble and a filler is still a filler.

just like people complain when buying a 10$ steak and getting half of it as fat, fat is not BAD per-say

and is actually good in small doses-but its STILL a filler.

• I agree with Steve for the most part. And Maya gets kibble with each feeding. It's grain free TOTW or BB...sometimes both mixed together. However, the Darwin's Raw Diet contains not only the raw meats so critical to dogs, but the vegetables as well. I read and reread the ingredients to make sure. To this date Maya has never exhibited any ill effects from the combination of the two.

• Maya pic please!!!! Come on its been awhile your slackin :D
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
    There's no question Darwin's Raw Diet is some very good stuff for Bullies. Pricey, but very good. In all actuallity there are many ways to achieve a wholesome diet for our dogs. I think a lot has to do with their lifestyle and energy level.
    Kim feeds straight up Raw and her bullies fit the par in health, Mark combines both and his bullie is in fantastic health and form, and I combine a variable of everything and seem to be doing pretty good. I think the opinions can go on forever about the perfect nutritional diet but the fact is as long as there's concentration into the things that benefit your Bullie you can't go wrong. One thing to remember is the taste and appetite for each individual dog. People will adjust their feeding preferences and opinions based on the consumption of food that their dog enjoys eating. You can provide the best meal in the world for you Bullie but if he nibbles on it and sticks his nose in the air it's not doing him a bit of good.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    I 2nd the updates on Maya photos!! :D

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I agree, as much as I love my prey model style of feeding, I know many dogs can do just as wonderfully on a good quality kibble-and that is due to the ingredents!

poor quality ingredents are going to create poor health in any dog of any breed, good quality ingredients are going to create good health in a dog!

• philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited August 2013
    There's kibble and then there's kibble. If there is any grain or any high level of carbohydrate in the kibble, ( or any other food consumed) then this portion of the food will take longer to pass through the digestive system. I can't believe that a dog could regularly keep any food in its system for 30 odd hours, but ideally all meat diet, preferably all raw, would ensure the greatest nutritional benefit in the shortest digestive period. We still have our kids on only 30% raw, 30% cooked, and the balance TOTW and veggies etc. With two growing dogs our cost is closer to $350 per month on raw... We want to get to 60% raw and will need to find a way of reducing the cost. But the main thing is to eliminate grain and carbohydrate all together. If your dog is licking its paws regularly this is a sign of too much carbohydrate which will also really ruin their teeth.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Philsergeant- I couldn't imagine paying that much for  dog food WOW!

my monthly cost for 2 dogs and 3 cats (also on raw) has never exceeded 20$

all I have to buy are organs

• I feed my two bullies Orijen as its the best kibble I found here so far. Everyday they get fruit and vegetables, some fish oil and some canned wet food. On occasion, rice, egg, yogurt etc.
    I have been feeding them chicken necks but recently stopped to as they have developed a bit of an allergy and am trying to find out what is causing it. The vet we have seen said it could be the chicken neck because of the additives and growth hormone they give them. 

I have two questions:

1. Do you think the chicken neck could be giving them the allergy?
    2. Can they eat fruit and vegetable everyday without any problems?
    One Bully is just not enough
  • 1, Not a vet but it's possible,
    2. Maya gets both each day, no problems. But the bulk of her diet is meat.
    @ xchairity_casex.
    I know you'd never cheat, but you must include in your calculation of your cost of raw more than just the cost of ammo! You have to allow some amount for the value of your hunt time. I can't see how you would get raw meat at that cost any other way. :))  With the Natures Variety Instincts we are using now it costs about $8 per pound and that's $64.00 a week (for two)...I am going to follow Xtracho to Darwin and see if I can get down below $200 a month with increasing their volume.  ... They have a Half Raw program that's $52.00 a week. Perhaps when they are a year old I will be brave enough to give them raw from the butcher at $2.00 / $3.00 a pound.

In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Stoges_mom and I have been feeding our little guy a variety of raw food and Victor's Grain-Free kibble. He is not really that picky when it comes to chowing down, which we're quite thankful for!!!

But he is only nearing 8lbs. and the cost so far has been quite affordable to feed him. But as he and his appetite grow... I'm sure the cost will become much greater and more cost-effective food will be tempting.  

Thankfully Small Game season is coming up soon... There will be many Rabbit & Squirrel Popsicles in the freezer for Stoeger's dining pleasure. I don't hunt deer but my buddy butchers during hunting season so I'm sure we will have some venison for Stoge too.

I keep telling Stoges_mom to go make friends with the local butcher, lol!

@Stoeger - You have to start deer hunting during season. There's more meat on them than squirrel and you can share some with your Bullie. (*)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited August 2013
    Yeah but it is so easy to stop by my buddy's place, say hello and leave with the venison all neatly wrapped up in wax paper, for free nonetheless.

He grinds up venison with some fresh pork-butts for sweet or hot sausage too, I love that but probably lay off the pork for Stoeger. This animal eats better than me!

If I had more free time, the challenge of harvesting an Upstate, NY buck would be fun for sure!

Unfortunately, I only have time to hit the back forty for a quick stint and snipe a few buck-tooth varmints for stew from time to time.

Plus, when someone compliments him on his shiny coat or muscular build... it will be fun to say "Yeah, it must be all the rabbits and squirrels I feed him.: Haha!
    Which animal are you referring to? that eats better than you?, we don't have animals here, unless we are eating them!!
    X(
    Kidding, when either my wife's or my child gets out of a shape a bit, we shout, "Control your ANIMAL!"

>:)
  • Maya gets 1 lb of the Darwin's raw each day now. She's getting bigger and we're increasing her intake. Here's her daily diet:

Morning: 1/2 lb. Darwin's Raw
                  1 cup TOTW/BB kibble mixed. (TOTW Pacific Stream/BB Chicken)
                  1 scoop NuPro supplement
                  2 squirts Grizzly Salmon Oil

Evening: 1/2 lb. Darwin's Raw
                  1 cup kibble (same as above)

We always mix the food with water to make a gravy which she loves. Lately I've been adding some boiled chicken livers and gizzards at each feeding. And, Ruth made spaghetti last night and we had some ground beef left over. So, she get that while we have it.

It seem to be well balanced and she eats it all.
  • @ philsergeant-the hunt time does not take up much time, now that ive been doing it for over a year, I  keep several ads on craigslist posted and renewed, and I already have several sorces who contact me when they have raw meat available!

But, when I first started it was a lot of time that I spent acquiring meat, I had to find and keepconnecte with contacts until they "knew me"

@Xtracho - You've got Maya on an awesome diet! No wonder she looks so good! :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks Steve....she's finally gotten into the marrow on one of her deer antlers too. So she's sitting here at 5:45 am tearing into that. :))
  • Stoeger had a raw chicken drumstick yesterday for lunch. I was a little nervous because of the bone and the raw chicken. I have to say he did extremely well. He ate the chicken off the bone first, then enjoyed all the bone. He chewed it up perfectly, I was nervous he would try to gulp the bone without chewing.
    No ill side affects, his poop was a little runny but I believe it's do to a first full raw meal instead of mixed.
    I just want to be sure it's ok with his age to do this. He seems ok and he enjoyed it.

Any comments are welcome!!! Stoegers furdad has Darwin's ordered now but just want to be sure a raw chicken drumstick is ok as well!
    edited September 2013
    It's only really chicken bones when cooked that become brittle and splinter, causing sharp edges that can do damage... That's why dogs in the wild don't cook their food.
    But if you are concerned, or can't keep an eye on him all the time he gnaws.... you can always de-bone it, or give him a chicken breast (liddle boys luv breasts! )
    8-}
  • Raw bones are ok, cause they are not brittle like cooked bones and don't create shards, they are, in a sense, soft. I feed all of my dogs (pug included) raw chicken at least a couple times a week for treats. They also love raw cow ankles, and in all my 8 years doing so I have yet to run into any issue.
  • Looks like we posted at the same time! LOL!
    You know what they say..... Great minds?

• I knew about raw bones vs cooked, just nervous I reckon because it was the first time seeing and his age. He loved it but jut wanted to hear everyone's input! Thanks!
  • I gave my two pig feet a while back, it took them no time at all to eat all of it.
    One Bully is just not enough
  • I am reading above, how old can you start adding raw meat and how much? Obviously we don't have Roxanne yet, but want to be totally prepared.

My dog in high school loved carrots, in the winter she used to steal them off the snowmen in the neighborhood :) she would hold them in her paws and naw away----hmmmm glad I know what to clean white fur with now orange will be interesting to clean off :). I love this forum!
  • Carrot theif hahaha that's funny!!!! =D>
  • We started giving Stoeger a little raw around 8 weeks I think. He is 13 and a half weeks now and does well on raw and a little kibble. He had his first raw Darwin's meal yesterday for lunch. The only thing he can't tolerate is raw eggs, but he gets kibble grizzly salmon/ pollock oil, and a scrambled egg for breakfast.
    Oh, our kids LOVE raw eggs, soft boiled ones too. LUNCH!? is he still on three meals?

• Mine have never met an egg they didn't like :)
  • Yeah, that's the only food we've encountered that appeared to upset his tummy.

Maybe that wasn't the real cause?

• I would hate to give that cutie a belly ache on purpose but maybe try a raw egg mixed in with some dry kibble only?? That wouldn't leave anything to guess if he gets a belly ache. Eggs are great for their coats :(
  • Yea, that's the way he got it. I tried twice and he puked both times. The first time I thought maybe because he was playing with the toad but I tried again a week later and the same thing although it was a less intense reaction.

He is still on three meals at thirteen weeks.
  • Uuggg poor stoeger bear no raw eggs for him:(
  • One thing I found at the butcher today was beef bones with the marrow for .99 cents a lb. It's the same as what they sell at the pet store for about $3-4 a bone. Good for my football Sundays so Spud can stay occupied.
  • Ur shittin I gonna ask..........
  • Left is butcher cut and right is pet store 4 pack for $11.99. He's been occupied on it for an hour so far. He hasn't slept since out 1 hour walk but we also did an 8 mile hike up a mountain yesterday. He's still got so much energy. Hopefully he's asleep near the 49ers game.
    image.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 2M
  • I gotta check it out! Do you freeze them??
  • Yes. I got it from the freezer at my market butcher. I was originally buying the buffalo beef bone marrows for 4 for $11.99 but this works out better for me. These are just cow beef bones and I got about 7-8 for around $3.
  • Thanks for sharing!! :-bd
  • edited September 2013
    Just to let you know this is a treat that helps them chew and keeps them busy. No way is it food for their daily diet. It's the only chew item that will keep him occupied for hours but I only give it to him once or twice a week during football season.
  • Wish I had a couple steelers are coming on :D
  • That's the game I need to watch cuz I have lots of bears players on my fantasy teams. : )
  • edited September 2013
    I shouldnt be watching this game  :-q however your fantasy team is looking good hey!!!!
  • I really need to get a deer or 2 this year for the antlers and legs.  I usually have cows bones from when myself or neighbor butcher a cow, but now just about out.  Our love raw egss mixed with their Kibble as well.  Of course they see the chickens scratching around and want that extra egg.`
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC