Skip to content

Future Bull Terrier owner.

edited August 2013 in Forum Member Photos

Hey everyone!

I've been reading through this forum for the last couple of days and wanted to wait until I actually have the puppy in hand so to speak before I posted.  I am getting a female pup. She's all white with a red eye patch on her right eye. I have been wanting one of these dogs since I was a kid and read the Incredible Journey I think is the title of the book. This forum has so much useful information and I'm trying to take it all in. The pup is four weeks old, I''l get her at eight weeks and can't wait. I feel like a kid on the night before Christmas. I'll be buying a crate, collar, leash, food, water and food dishes this weekend. I'm going back and forth on using Canidae Grain Free or Blue Buffalo Grain free. The Canidae will be about $10 dollars less for a 30# bag and is also five star rated so I'll probablu use that. My son and I have already chosen a name for her, it's Sookie.  So until I pick her up I'll be reading through the forum and trying to locate a vet in my area that has some experience/knowledge with Bull Terriers.

WP952013080795001.jpg
720 x 1280 - 63K

Comments

• Gorgeous. Let us know for recommendations. There's a lot of things I shouldn't have and should have bought during his Spud's puppy stage.

He says hello below.
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    What a cutie with a fawn eye patch! We're all going to want to see MORE photo's of "Sookie."

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • What an adorable puppy.  She is sooooo cute!  (Needs her nails cut. Don't want them to scratch themselves.)  :)
  • Just left pets mart, looks like the Blue Buffalo is less expensive than the Canidae . They also have Taste of the wild. Canidae salmon has the highest protein 40%, then Buffalo Bison and Venison 34% followed by taste of the wild, I forgot the percentage on that one. Not sure which one I'll choose. So any and all recommendations will be well received as to what to and not to buy. Details please. Oh I forgot to mention she's a Mini. I've owned American Bulldogs before but from what I've read so far, they are totally different animals.
  • We started Maya on Royal Canin wet and Blue Buffalo dry....mixture of the two. Then we went with Darwins Pet Products Raw Diet mixed with either Blue Buffalo or TOTW. She also gets a scoop of NuPro supplement and a squirt of Grizzly Oil each day. And now we mix the TOTW Pacific Stream with the Blue Buffalo Chicken for her dry, then mix it with the Darwins Raw.

She is a cutie....gonna steal your heart if she hasn't already.
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    edited August 2013
    @Mikewho.... We are very happy to see you so excited about your new family member. Mostly because we are all excited idiots here, who love our Bullies like cookoo!  So you can expect a lot of support, advice and interest from us all. So glad you found a petsmart with TOTW, that's unusual... it's what we use and our kids are over 60lbs at 8 months.... Not on TOTW only but as a base.  I think if you spend about a week online here and read all the threads you'll find out just about everything about prepping and expecting your new heart stealer..... EBT's are different from ALL dogs, (read my tag line) so expect to be surprised and delighted.  Ask anything you like, we're here for you,... well, for each other
    =D>
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Thanks everyone for your replies and support in advance. @philsegeant I was surprised to find TOTW at Petsmart also. I'm still reading and learning each day.
  • We starter our two bullies and our lab on Taste of Wild, roasted fowl.  They LOVE it!  Started our Bullies on Grizzley's Salmon Oil.  They love that too!
  • I'm a grown 30 year old man and go nuts over BT's. I was watching the Dog Father on YouTube and even that guy being a body guard said he was bawling out his mind on his BT's and he's as big as the Rock.

Anyways, I had Spud on a mixture of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy and TOTW all life stages wild boar - both high in protein. I have had this mixture since 3-4 months and he's responding well. He's about 40 lbs now at 6 1/2 months. My BB Wilderness is running out so I need to reup on either that or adding another no grain high protein kibble.
    Welcome to the funny farm Soapskid.... I am 62 and have had bullies since I was about 26... still cookoo.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Welcome! your new baby is SOOOO adorable <3 good luck!
  • Welcome to the forum!! You'll find lots of great info and advice on here. These crazy bullie lovers have been my rock. Although I swear I have the most stubborn bullie on the planet, I still love the check out of him!!! Even when I'm close to pulling my hair out it only takes a few minutes for Apollo to have me laughing again. He is also on TOTW, grizzly salmon oil and nupro gold. We're still under six months of age so I only give raw once a week. A few more weeks and its on!!
    Love Sookie to pieces!!!! Can't wait to see more pics!! \:D/
  • edited August 2013
    Sookie is beautiful Mikewho!!! You must be so excited, I know Stoges_mom and I couldn't even sleep well for days prior to our little guy's arrival :)

Good luck figuring out what food to put your cute girl on... Stoges_mom and I found DogFoodAdvisor dot com to very helpful. We landed on Victor Grain-Free All Life Stages for our Stoeger's kibble.

Xtracho and Apollosmama, what's the deal with the Nupro product? Is it something we should consider for our little man???

• edited August 2013
    Nupro is a great supplement that yes, does cause some gas. LOL!! It gives a nice boost to their immune system, helps with shedding, dry skin and so on. It comes in a powder and when you mix it with water makes a nice gravy to go over their food.
  • Gonna have to debate whether or not Stoge needs that... He already fogs us with green clouds, don't know if he needs more help with that!

Ditto on what Apollosmama said on the collar, our Stoge is almost ready to have his adjusted out after sporting it for just two weeks.
  • edited August 2013
    Leather or nylon padded. I got Spud one of the soy collars and it gave him the pink neck for a bit. He walks on a six foot lead with a harness though. I just started using the prong collar only for walking correction along with the harness as well. I have two six foot leads for both on at the same time. I don't pull on the prong collar but pull on the harness - the prong collar is only for a light tug to get him going if needed.
  • He got stoge a small nylon one, when he gets older and at a tar where he will stay then we will get a leather!
  • edited August 2013

Sookie looks beautiful.  I know you are contemplating what type of food to feed her.  There are many good links here on the forum on the subject, and will get many different answers.  What we all can agree on is Grain Free.  Find out what puppy food the breeder is feeding her through weaning.  Allot of breeders will have a preferred puppy food to feed their litters.  You have to ask yourself is this a food you want to feed your puppy when you get her?  If not, you have a couple options, ask if you can pay a little more to feed her what you want to feed her so this does not upset her tummy when your get her and change it.  The other option is mix her food 50/50 with what they fed her and what you want to feed her for a couple weeks.  This will create change but not a shock to her sensitive digestive system.

Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • edited September 2013

Ok I finally picked Sookie up. Good and bad news. Good news is she is pretty smart already. She can go up and downstairs and will let you know if she has to use the bathroom. Bad news is when I picked her up she had diarrhea, suposedly from the wormer. Also she can't hear. I took her to the Vet for a check up and the Vet gave her a dose of Diagel and a prescription for Albon and propectalin. She weighs 2.8 lbs. I contacted the breeder and they claim they didn't know the pup was deaf and will not offer a refund but offered to take her back and I could transfer the balance to the next litter, which I declined.

SOOKIE 001.jpg
    3096 x 3096 - 2M
    SOOKIE 002.jpg
    3096 x 3096 - 753K
    SOOKIE 004.jpg
    3096 x 3096 - 969K
    SOOKIE 006.jpg
    4128 x 3096 - 4M
    SOOKIE 006.jpg
    4128 x 3096 - 4M
    edited September 2013
    Give me the breeder's address and I'll go cut his goolies off. She sure is a cutey and she'll be rewarding you for the ultra magnanimous gesture you made by keeping her.... Some say you can help a deaf Bullie grow into something really special with hand signs and the right training ... But I'll leave it to those with first hand experience to elaborate .... The diarrhea will pass but at that age/ weight I'd keep her in my arms until it does and keep her hydrated and ( I'd do) boiled chicken breast and rice. Keep us informed as much as you can... This is going to be a busy thread! Great job!
  • Oh my!! Tiny! I thought ourStoeger was small at 4 lbs @6wks. She is a beauty!!
  • Well, she is in good hands now the poor thing.

She is going to be a little harder to train and manage, however its NOT impossible and CAN be do-able.

Since she cant hear, your going to have to start teaching her commands using hand signals and touch, or even facial cues.

This is Something is something you want to start doing ASAP!! Since Bullies are a difficult breed as it is, a deaf one is going to need as much training under its belt as can be.

Your going to need a hand signal  or facial cue to show your approval, youll need to use deterants such as a heavy bean bag or a squirt bottle of water to teach your new puppy "NO"

But dogs in general are extremely observant, and can EASILY learn a hand or facial cue as quickly as a vocal command.

When I was younger we had a very very old Lhasa Apso who was both blind as well a deaf and I taught her things using touch, if I touched her shoulder it meant to come, if I touched her but it meant sit, etc.

NO dog is ever to young to begin obedience training.

I would begin working on the basics, keepa small squirt bottle of water on you as well as treats at all times so you can quickly reward good behaviors and stop naughty ones.

To get a pups attention when its doing something bad-shouting no does nothing, stopping your foot the puppy can feel the vibrations in the floor and usually stop to see where its coming from.

You can use facial cues ( raising your eye brows, opening your mouth wide, sticking your tongue out, etc)

or hand signals ( showing one or two fingers for sit, a waving motion for come, palm down for stay, finger pointing to the ground for  roll over etc)

what ever you want to use as your cues for each behavior is your own preference and choice!

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I have to admit, it is extremely hard to bite my lip when I hear stories like this.

@mikewho - Your breeder is either Blind or a Liar. Unless he/she never spent more than 5 minutes with the puppies. You're more than welcome to tell them I said that too.

I've seen deaf puppies before and they are easy to spot in a litter. You can't walk past a weaning box without waking a litter and when one puppy remains fast asleep it's obvious the puppy is deaf. You can't take food to the puppies without one catching you and barking which wakes the whole bunch except one of course if he's deaf and oblivious to what's going on around him. Even at 6 weeks of age the Vet would have caught it during a health check. A deaf Bull Terrier isn't SOLD they are adopted out to those willing to raise one with love and compassion. I know Sookie is in great hands but I'm utterly shocked by what how you explained the breeder said in regard to a refund. They kept this a secret, they didn't conduct proper genetic testing, and they have no integrity. Your breeder should be shot in the foot and reported to AKC.

As far as worm medicine causing diareha that would be rare unless they waited all this time and just now worned the puppy. Puppies need to be wormed at 2 weeks of age, 3 weeks of age, and 4 weeks of age. During their 6 week health check they should be tested and confirmed to be free from worms. Due to how tiny your BT is fear that he had or has coccidia. That will stunt his growth, cause diarrhea, etc.

My worry for Sookie is that his immune system will also suffer based on the way he was cared for as a young infant. To be honest, I've never seen or heard of a 3 pound EBT at 8 weeks of age.

Kim provided good information in regard to raising a deaf Bull Terrier. I know someone who has a deaf Bullie who is very attentive to their owner and knows many hand signals. My hat is off to you for your commitment to raise a deaf BT. In the event you speak to your breeder again please send them my LOVE. @-)

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Plus I pray you have a good vet that can help you though this! We'll be here but you have a huge task the next couple of weeks to overcome the bad handling in the first 8 weeks... We're all with you and proud of you already.
  • edited September 2013
    Poor Sookie... That is absolutely awful how you and your pup have been treated so far.

Please keep us posted on her health. I sure hope the diarrhea subsides and she can start packing on some pounds.

Like Stoges_mom said... We thought Stoeger was small at 6 1/2 weeks, 4lbs. Sookie is absolutely tiny in comparison. Especially considering he was up to 7lbs. at 8 weeks.

Probably would be a good idea to get her on some NuVet and boost that immune system Steve!?!?
  • Wow, I am utterly shocked at the size of Sookie, let alone the $@&amp;;/?# breeder and his word vomit! I haven't been able to actually sit down and read the forum for a while and its upsetting for this to be the first one. I'm so happy that Sookie has you as her grand champion! She's going to need you! Good luck an please keep us all posted on her health and growth!
  • I just read this and I too got the shaft from a breeder I chose. I comend you for not returning this pup and along with Steves send them my love as well. By the way Steve, if your lip isn't already bleeding from your bitting it I got some oxegen over here for you to help in your reading the above. I'm not shocked but I am disappointed that this happens so often. Anyhow......I wish you luck with your journey here as I think this will be a great one. I am inclined to think that a deaf bullie would be a challenge but because their deaf they would be less distracted and look to you for guidance. So along with what Xcharity said I would say teach eye contact, every time I was looked at I would treat. Keep us posted and by all means use this ssupport system I couldn't have done without it. Congratulations on the new baby!!!
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • edited September 2013
    I find it impossible for a breeder to not know a puppy is deaf, unless they spent absolutely no time with the litter.  They were just hoping you will keep her like you plan too. I have had one puppy along time ago that was hearing impairded but this was noticable real early on at @ 2 1/2  weeks when their ears peal back.  While she was adopted out she leads a great life and healthy other than that.  The owner is always saying she is not totally deaf but repsonds great with eye contact and hand signals.  I too believe your puppy was not wormed at the proper times and was done so prior to you getting her knowing you will take her to the vet.  The medications that gave you will take care of the internal parasites.  Listen to the Vet and do the follow-up as directed.  Just because she starts putting on weight and medicines are complete does not mean she is over it.  The best thing is she is in your care now and will get the upmost love and attention that she deserves.  Welcome to the Bullie world.  She looks adorable.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • What a beautiful dog.  She needs all the love and care you can give her.  Good luck and please post pictures as she grows!
  • She's so itty bitty! Congrats and good luck on your ventures, they will be challenging, but very rewarding!
  • Thanks for ALL the info and comments!  It's a lot, Ill have to reread it and take it all in. Her poop is solid and she is doing much better than when I picked her up. She seems to have more energy
    Great, That's a big step... I'm sure you have your hands full but please try and update us when you can, we're all anxious to see how she comes along. Good luck!

• It's great to hear things are improving a bit!