Skip to content

Skin Allergies with Bull Terriers

2»

Comments

• Have battled with allergies with my white Bully. Had her allergy tested and that information did help. I also believe that probiotics has made a huge difference. The Candida thing was news to me, but I'm going to look into that as we have had brittle and discolored nails following a very close nail trim (for shows) and antibiotics to follow. I'll post anything new I discover, but my dogs will never be without probiotics again....Maybe one of these days I'll start taking them...My dogs get better care! 
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @juliesnider - I'm with you, every day I give my Bullies a daily vitamin/supplement and I say to myself "I really should be taking a vitamin myself."

Welcome to the Forum Too. Please post some photos of your Bullies we'd all love to see them!

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Juliesnider, explain probiotics to me please.  And where you get them, are they for dogs? 

Mine just says 'supports immune function'.  It is NOT Vitimins or Minerals.  I may be showing my ignorance, but I do want to know what he means by probiotics.  Thanks.

• Thanks for the responses. Not sure if the flea dirt was flea dirt, never found a flea. I've been feeding raw for 12 yrs and I'm anal about my measurements -.usually around 72%'sh meat with organ meat about 25%  of that and rest green veg. Sometimes small amounts of grain, potato. I do give him fish oil daily but it's Atlantic Herring Oil - is Salmon better? I have been giving him multi vitamin powder pretty much since this started as well as probiotics and digestive enzymes... I've done everything I can think of. Next step for me is to start him on a completely different food, lamb, duck or something, to see if he's developed a food allergy. I think I'll also look for a doggy dermatologist ....
  • Oops, that post was actually from early Jan. My boy is much better now , not sure what worked but probably a combination of things. The only issue is that he has recently developed what appears to be a really ugly, itchy hot spot on his belly. The vet gave me Vetgold cream and have been using that for a couple weeks. Appears to be helping somewhat. I've also switched him to strictly beef diet to eliminate potential allergy to another meat. I've eliminated grains, yogurt and giving him 1 tsp or so of coconut oil every day... also found out that you can do food allergy testing without sedation, via saliva I believe and based on Jean Dodd's protocol.

To DianeWright - probiotics are supplements that provide your body with 'good' bacteria. For numerous reasons your bad bacteria in your gut can overcome the good and probiotics reset the balance. I take myself and also give to my dog daily.

It's good to hear your Bullie is much better now.  :-bd

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Hi everyone! Me again! I need more advice :(
    Our bully ruby has been on taste of the wild a month now and she is still getting rashes! We are pretty much convinced she is allergic to either our grass or all grasses.
    She has been in a kennel the last 3 wks while we were overseas and they have artificial grass and didn't get any rashes while she was there but after 2hrs at home her paws and eyes started to become red and by the end of the day she has an angry red rash all up her stomach to her chest/neck, paws and inside her legs!!
    She is eating the taste of the wild with omega 3,6&9 oil and apple cider vinegar splashed on top.
    Aside from ripping up our whole yard which is quite big any other suggestions?
  • Oh also she has had to have half a phenergan tablet twice a day it's that red (25mg in total) the last 4days and we have been coating her in calomile lotion twice a day
    I'm going to assume you did not provide her with any sort of supplement that would boost her immune system?  http://www.bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/1818/bull-terrier-immunity-problems#Item_6

You could always have her tested in order to find out exactly what is setting off the break outs with the rash forming on her stomach. However, based on the popularity of this skin disorder my concentration would be on nutrition and providing her with a supplement that would enhance her immune system. In the event you could honestly rule out nutrition and low immune system it would time to have her professionally tested.

Please understand I'm not saying grass, pollen, or anything else is causing the break outs. However, my feelings are that these substances may not have any effect on her if her immune system is where it needs to be.

Having her in a kennel for 3 weeks may have caused additional stress which is other attribute for weakening her immune system.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • She has been to the kennel a few times now and have always reported she is happy, social and never off her food or anything and she already had the rash before going into the kennel. I have ordered the NuVet supplement you recommended but it's on back order and still waiting to receive it. I had been advised by other vets and friends who own bullies who have been to allergists to use the omega 3,6&9 and add apple cider vinegar, coconut oil and even rose hip oil but unfortunately nothing has improved her symptoms. Colostrum is another recommendation ? I'm just at a loss what I can do it makes me so upset to see her scratching and growling all the time :(
    You could always have her tested. Here's some helpful information on Intradermal allergy tests - http://aadconline.com/content/skin-testing

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I think that is the way to go at this point. Thank you for all your helpful info!
  • My Milley has got two spots on her body and a rash inside her back leg the spots have been there for 4 weeks I have been putting rosehip or coconut oil. Since I have chanced her to raw food for the past week the marks are spreading I give her ground chicken or turkey all organically prepared. Is it an allergy to chicken?
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2056 - 891K
    @Milley - There's no definitive way to pin point her exact allergy without proper and extensive testing. Again, I'd concentrate on trying what you can to boost her immune system. Hopefully you read the link I provided on immunity problems.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks! I have not read the link would you mind posting it again or direct me to where I can read it.
    As for supplements what do you recommend. I live in Burlington Canada so I may not get the same products as the US. Also is it OK that she never drinks water anymore, not a drop.
  • I was told that this was normal during the first week, she has been drinking a little this past day and now the wether today was a little warmer we were able to go for an hour walk and she drank after that.
  • Hey there! As we know, Taste Of Wild has tons of variety. Which one exactly do you recommend? Just want to make sure I am purchasing the best one for my dog's skin problems. Thanks!
    ALL the different varieties of TOTW are grain free and superb foods. The best one for your dog would be the one he/she enjoys eating the best. Most of mine prefer the Salmon flavored.

Currently I have my Bullies on Victor and they are truly enjoying it. However, there are many good 5 star grain free foods. Don't hesitate to experiment with the foods to see which ones your EBT likes the most and does well on. It's always good to change up their diet from time to time.  ;)
    TOTW Salmon.png
    160 x 252 - 76K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    I don't recall the age of your dog , if he is less than two years you should choose Puppy. In "dog" there is more choice, but if you are having skin issues I'd stay away from anything with Sweet potato... Or an other source of sugar... And you'll need to experiment with whether fish, red meat or white meat better suits your kid. You might want to get two selections and mix so you don't get too "strong" in one source of protein.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
    Phil - You do realize at one time all the TOTW varieties were labeled "ALL STAGES." A sales rep for Diamond recently told me the only reason they came up with a couple varieties marked for "Puppies" was because many people thought they needed to give their puppy a food "Specially designed" for puppies. The truth is the adult versions of TOTW have the same nutritional factors as the puppy food. Personally I think it would make more sense to go back to calling their foods "All Stages" but that's just me.  :-B

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • philsergeantphilsergeant Palm City, Florida, USA
    Well, there you go... They fooled me too. Why limit the choices available to Puppy owners by restricting their choice to two... Rather make it apparent that all their foods are "all stages" and adequate for puppies. Anyhow, we've moved on from TOTW to Victor GF, and now we are migrating to Orijen ... And the initial results are very promising.
    In the beginning God created English Bull Terriers, in the image of EBT's, God created all other breeds.
  • Fed my dog TotW when she was a puppy...wasn't that long ago, but they didn't have puppy food at the time. She didn't do as well on it as I had hoped. Had some poop problems, had dull fur and some patchiness. Switched to Acana and never looked back. The fish variety of TotW always gave her the WORST gas. So I went back and forth between the others.
    That's the first time I've heard about someone having a bad experience with TOTW other than maybe their EBT didn't like the taste as much as another food. Odd how your Bullie had negative effects when the food itself contains healthy and productive ingredients that should have done him well.  :-??

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Awesome! Thanks for responding. I am going to go out and buy TOTW as soon as they are done with their bag of Blue Buffalo Life Protection. What are your thoughts on BB for skin problems for EBT?
    edited May 2014
    Blue Buffalo is a great food. However, Blue Buffalo "Wilderness" is the only one within the brand which is grain free.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com