Skip to content

Safety in the car!

edited August 2013 in General

This is a rescuers trick I guess(?) and deals with having a dog in the car that you cannot trust to STAY in there when the car door is opened! From experience I know how hard a Bully is to hang onto when they are slipping away. Sometime I'll tell you about my Target girl going into a deep river in Idaho and all that saved her was her collar for me to grab!  There was all this grass, then there was the water! Niether of us saw it.

Anyway, here's the tip and I will try to make sense, honest! LOL Needless to say when transporting a Bullykid (or any furkid!) in the car they must have a SECURE collar or harness on! Too many times I get handed a dog where the collar is so loose it is almost falling off the dogs head!  I bet you have seen collars fitted like this.  For that reason I carry slip collars with me in the car all the time. So,you have a secure collar on your dog and you are worried about the furkid slipping out of the car; might be a young dog; might be a reactive dog; might just want to go with you.  No human can outthink a dog when it decides to move!

I keep a lead tied in my car all the time by the passenger seat.I call this a "Security Lead".  I leave the snap end inside by the front seat or just in back of the seat back, with just enough slack to snap to a dog colllar or harness but not too much.  Just so the furkid can laydown if wanted. Then the lead runs out the door of the car where a knot is in it on the outside. The free end then gets put back in a window and the window rolled all the way up. I get in the car with another leash on said dog, clip the "Security Lead" to the furkid and leave my lead on. Now the furkid has two leashes on.

Then if I want the dog to go with me, I unclip the Security lead and off we go. No fumbling with a lead trying to get it on a dog that's behaving like a jumping bean! No worries about that dog getting away from me.  I use this especially for transporting dogs I don't know if they are not crated. Even crated, I keep a lead on the dog and the lead runs out of the crate and is snapped to some part of the car.  Opening a crate door is just like opening your car door, the dog can fly right out. 

Hope this helps a bit  to keep your cutie safe when in the car. From a newbie. LOL  Sonja and Pumba

Comments

• Very good tip. I let my bullies ride shotgun (they love it!) but I always tie the leads to the seat in a similar manner to prevent any overexcited mistakes!

I know I hate hate hate  when people have ridiculously loose collars on their dogs. As a dog groomer I've seen countless dogs slip right out. What's the point of a collar if the dog can just back out of it and run off?

• Got a video Sonja?  LOL ;)   Great idea's! 
  • Oh, I so wish I could do videos! This old dial up is just impossible! I know you were kidding but lets face it. dogs are so funny that we can't help but get those pix's of them and want to share them with others.

I do take a lot of photos though as once in a great while I'll do an article on something I want to share for a mag, Like how to bath a cat in a safe and efficient,  and one would hope, tidy manner! LOL  Did that one for Cat Fancy I think. And yes, the camera survived but barely!!! ROFL!!

Sonja & Pumba