Skip to content

Bull Terriers and Cats

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
edited June 2012 in Bull Terrier Character

So many people bring up the same question:

Do Bull Terriers get along with cats?

My feelings are, if you raise a bull terrier with a cat, dog, or other animal from the time it was a small puppy you normally won't have any problems with them becoming friends and companions. 

Socializing a Bull Terrier with other animals is very important and should be encouraged at the early stages of their lives. Yes, there are many families that share their home with an EBT and a cat. Naturally, if a Bull Terrier had never been socialized with a cat the chances of him or her walking up to one out in the street and becoming best friends is very slim. With that said, you will read or hear from others that Bull Terriers do not get along with cats. However, you'll also read that Bull Terriers, on average, don't do well with others dogs also. Let's face it, these conclusions are most often based on the Bull Terriers who have never been socialized with other animals and most likely are the only pets in their home. They don't have any social skills what so ever with other animals and they're natural reaction when confronted with one would either be to playfully pounce on another dog or cat which obviously wouldn't be excepted and most likely be countered with aggression which wouldn't be tolerated by an EBT or the Bullie would automatically be defensive from the start and feel the need to become dominant. Either way this behavior would only result in a fight and once a Bullie has their first big fight with a dog or a cat you're going to have a challenge trying to train him or her to avoid becoming an aggressive dog towards other animals. Thus the reason for properly socializing them when their young and learning the ropes.

I think it's unfair for people to say "Bull Terriers do NOT get along with Cats or other Dogs" when that's not a true statement especially if many people have them living together very happily.

I have attached some photos people have sent me of their Bullies and the cats they live with. Additionally, I wanted to show this really funny video of a Bull Terrier that's obviously used to being around cats and has more patience for a mischievous cat than anyone could ever ask for out of a dog. 

BT and Cat 3.jpg
2048 x 1536 - 546K
BT and Cat 2.jpg
2048 x 1536 - 268K
BT and Cat 4.jpg
2048 x 1365 - 256K
BT and Cat.jpg
816 x 612 - 77K
Haley Frank - Buttercup 02.JPG
548 x 411 - 92K
- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• Our Bullie Daisy likes cats as she was brought up with one as puppy at the breeders home.

Although recently we have come across one or two cats near where we live when out on walks, Daisy approaches with her usual 'i'll be friends with anyone' attitude, most cats do not like the look of her and she has had one or two swipes across the nose from the cats.

:-)
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    There's always going to be some of those wild cats out there that will deliberately look for trouble with a dog. It always seems as though they find the dogs that don't initiate harm to them. There's not too many bull terriers that would take a scratch to the face without making a scooby snack out of the cat. >:)
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • My bull terriers were raised with a cat, live with one now and are fine, though the "new" cat took some getting used to. Cats outside the home are not the same and the dogs go into prey mode. When I lived in AZ, we had many wild cats around, and the dogs were always trying to get at them.
    edited June 2012

I don't think there are too many dogs (regardless what kind they are) that would come across a strange cat that's roaming the neighborhood and wish to make friends with it. Nor do I think that particular cat would entertain the friendship. Then again, I don't think it would be a good idea to walk a dog around the neighborhood in hopes of meeting new wild cat friends. 8-X

When refering the subject of Bull Terriers getting along with cats it was with the assumption of raising the two in a household as family pets.

Those loose wild cats running freely are like mini mountain lions. LOL. Keep the dogs clear of them.

I think that cat in the above video has a mean streak to him also. He acts like a wild tiger. :-)

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I have heard a very respectable dog trainer once call the Bull Terrier " cat killers ". I think this is again another stereotype. I have found this to be very untrue especially when properly introduced. I am not saying that a EBT has never snacked on a kitty but this is as the above posts mention a early socialization issue. If they have never seen one well its runs and looks like prey what's a terrier to do. Both of my dogs do well with my outdoor cats and my dogs were around 4 months when I brought them home.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.

Many of the times it's not the Bull Terrier who's the instigator. Here's another video with a mean cat that just wants to rake havoc on a young Bullie: 

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • My cats are highly respected members of my household, especielly my cat ginger, ive always called he the 'little mother" because she isnt afraid to tell anyone what to do.

when she walks into a room all the dogs keep out of her way, she will even make them stand still so she can rub against them if they move she yells at them and they will put there heads down and let her have her way with them shes a tough girl but doesnt pester them or torment them she mostly jsut wants them to stay out of her way and not knock into her.

even my 14 week old pup will get out of her way when she comes in the room

Sounds like your cat has them all trained to behave nicely towards her. She's a cat that demands respect! ;)
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Good for your kitty!!! I love my cats to and they should be respected as well. Cats and Bullies can live in harmony it's possible with respect and training.
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • i think too many people who put the cats and dog together expect them to be the best of freinds and to play together so they allow the new pupy to chase the cat or wrestle with it and get excited around it.

and sometiems it can work they can become great playmates and freinds but thats not the norm. i think a dog who respects a cat and doesnt chase it around the house to play and leaves it be is awsome

In many cases a cat will let a puppy know very quickly that rough housing isn't tolerated and often this causes a dog to leave them be.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • That kitten in the first video was c-raz-y.  Love the Bullies in the videos, so sweet and pretty.
  • My bully was not fond of cats.  Neighbor of the home I purchased subscribed to the theory of cats being given free roam of city streets and neighbor yards.  Local ordinance requires all domestic pets to have a leash...yes I understand cats will resist that leash, however, I believe the intent was to protect homeowners with dogs who have cats pop in and visit the yard while the animal is present.  This does not always end well for the visitor.  In my case my dog took off after and dispatched the cat in the tree line.  My dog did have a lead that was pulled out of the ground in launching this chase.  I had done what I could to keep neighbors from dealing with my bully.  But those believing cats are free range...and have no issues with cats catching and eating birds...must understand the food chain goes a few clicks higher as well.  This was 11 years ago, I apologized profusely, bought a plant and a card and met with the owner.  They haven't had two words for me ever since.  I feel terrible as I would never want anyone to lose a pet.  I just lost my bully this past week after 16 years.  She lived a long, wonderful life, but a bunny, two squirrels and cat did not survive their unannounced visits on the deck.     
  • edited December 2013
    Free roaming cats don't last too long around here.

The local Coyotes are hungry...

Anyone who lets their cat roam around here is not concerned with the animal's well being.

I wouldn't be overly concerned if I hit one with my vehicle or if Stoeger caused it's demise (and I like cats).

No house plants or Hallmark products would be purchased.
  • My nieces cat. Spud does get in his face but the cat is all right with it. Spud doesn't nip but does want to play aggressively but I tell him to leave it and he will stand next to her quietly.
    image.jpg
    1152 x 2047 - 601K
  • mtlcdamtlcda Ontario, Canada
    I knew the only way I could introduce a MBT into 'my' household--managed by my cat Gabriel--was to get a puppy, and even then I wasn't sure what the outcome would be. Victor was 6.5 pounds when I got him and in 5 months he put on 28 pounds. As a tiny puppy he soon learned who was in charge. His poor little nose took its share of scratches. But with his weight gain, the playing field has leveled. Attached is a series of pix of tiny Victor desperately trying to win over Gabriel. He does manage to confiscate the bed, but Gabriel has the last laugh taunting him at his scratching post. I'm hoping that one day they will cuddle up together, but we're not there yet. I loved the videos and photos!!
    VictorGabrielScenario.jpg
    2000 x 318 - 459K
    GabrielTrappedInVictorsCrate.png
    1110 x 725 - 2M