Skip to content

Neutering Spud

Hey all - just curious when you guys did this to your lad. Spuds barely past 5 months and a little north of 30 lbs. the couple I got him from said he will only grow to about 45-50 lbs like his dad but at the rate he's growing it looks like it may be more than expected. His mom was about 40-45 lbs as well. The couple I got him from had them on some pretty poor food and I believe this is why they didn't fill out, I'm assuming. I have Spud on Blue Bufflo Wilderness Puppy and slowly integrating a TOTW all life stages formula which he both likes and he's grown plenty since switching him from Purina Puppy Chow, which the couple used.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    This question has been asked and answered a few times on this forum. Everybody has their own opinion on when the time is best. Even if you research it online you will find opposing opinions everywhere. Most will go along with the recommendations advised by their veterinarian.
    I agree with your thoughts about proper diet and nutrition contributing to the overall growth and development of a Bull Terrier. However, the biggest factor will always be genetics. Yes, he could very well exceed the weight of his parents but not by too much. If the sire was 45-50 pounds his structure and bone matter are probably small and he possesses more of a slender athletic build. With a healthy diet and some raw meats you can build up some more mass and substance but due to his genetics the aspect of taking him to the level of a 70-75 pound adult may not be feasibly possible.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • My 2cents are wait till they turn a year old. 6 months is pushed by vets and some don't believe this gives them time to mature. Again just an opinion....
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • Sounds good. I'll consult my vet. I want it done but just taking it easy raising him for now. He has shown no aggression issues yet so I think he's good.

His bone structure will definitely be the same as his parents. I just believe the poor diet they had them on was preventing them from filling out completely. I was told only 45 lbs at full growth but he's close to 35 lbs at 5 months. I'm just hoping he fills out healthy and at a good weight to fill his body up.
  • On the other side of the coin...so to speak...we'll not have Maya spayed until she's well over a year old. And yeah...Purina Puppy Chow is crap. And so is Hill's Science Diet that so many vets push.