Skip to content

Another update: MEMPHIS

Hello all!

I'm lost as to updating with no good news unfortunately.

Memphis's infection has resurfaced (well it never goes away unless on AB). We have no remedy that is keeping him well enough to maintain a functioning immune system. And yes this constant life line of AB is doing him no good but maintaining a breathing dog for me. I do struggle with "am I doing this for me or for him? For another day of beach play, for one another physical support n love?"

I will be honest in saying I dreamt the night before my vet visit, I lost hold of him and he crossed the road and walked with Moose💞

The attached pic is from the vet visit on Tuesday. He is smothered with rose Bengal for skin infections. Is on glacier immune gold from homeopath. 6 tab (AB plus antiinflammatory Chinese supp) am and pm. Two week then vet revisit. Bloods showed elevated infection on Tuesday.🙏

IMG_20240709_135051_008.jpg
3120 x 4160 - 4M
IMG_20240709_095223_236.jpg
4160 x 3120 - 5M

Comments

• Billie_TinaBillie_Tina California

It's unfortunate and sad his infection keeps resurfacing and the vet can't figure out the cause of the infection. I feel so bad for you and Memphis. I hope it turns around for the better and Memphis gets well soon 🙏

• jur45jur45 australia

Thankyou Tina💖

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    That medication your putting on him certainly emphasizes the effected areas. But looking past the bright violet colored medication he doesn't look horrible. I know you're at wits end with all the Vet visits, tests, and medications. I've had many Bull Terriers vendered to me for the same issues and the owners gave up on the dog. Handing their Bull Terrier over to me was most likely a choice they felt better about vice euthanasia.
    When I've received a dog like this what happens during the first week is they normally get a lot worse. The reason is because they are in a completely new environment and their stress level and anxiety jumps up thus compromising their immune system worse than it already is. Additionally, I stop all medications immediately regardless what they are on and what I've been told is helpful.
    My concentration starts with a consistent and steady well balanced diet. I never anticipate immediate results. Added to a good diet I put the dog on a daily exercise regime that truly works their cardio and tires the dog. If it's a high energy dog (which it usually is) I commit to multiple exercise regimes per day. Yes, I start off slow and work up to what I know the dog can handle. Early mornings and evenings are best. Exercise is the best medication for relieving stress. It's effective for people too. The biggest problem with explaining to someone that their dog needs exercise is that everybody's idea of exercise varies. Walking a dog a few times a day or letting out in the backyard to run around and use the bathroom is not exercise. I'll throw a ball with the dog and let the sprint. With a conditioned Bull Terrier I'll put a harness on them and allow them to drag a tire to help build muscle. In the event the particular Bull Terrier has no interest in chasing a ball than I'll run with them. If the dog owner's physical condition prevents them from running long enough to provide a workout for their dog they can purchase a long retractable lead and walk the dog a good distance. A better alternative would be to post an add on social media or somewhere else locally searching for a runner that may like to earn a few dollars by taking your dog with them while they hit the pavement for a jog. A dog with a weak immunity desperately requires exercise. Medications only provide temporary relief and often compromise the immune system making the issue worse as time goes on. Sadly, Vets fails to mention this and will happily test out as many meds as your willing to experiment with and pay for. It just never ends and the dog suffers as the meds often cause more damage than good.
    Once the dog gets into a daily routing of good food and plenty of exercise than all it needs is love and attention to keep it happy and content. For me, this takes a while because our relation is new and he or she needs to develop a good bond and feel comfortable with their new surroundings and the people in its life. So my goal is provide excitement and fun while giving them the exercise they need.
    I understand that many people cannot commit to this kind of attention with a dog and be able to maintain it. On a good note, once the immune system strengthens and I start seeing results, the condition of the dog dramatically improves and it improves quickly. From that point on all I need to do is remain consistent with the food and allow the dog to exert energy daily. It's at that time the dog normally looks good and people looking to adopt have interest in the dog. If they have a active lifestyle they'll likely do great with the dog.
    I apologize for such a long response to you post. My methods may not be perfect for everyone but based on how many dogs I've rescued and fostered with allergies and skin issues I know it works for me. This is why you'll rarely ever see me posting about some miracle cure medication. I'm more prone to investing time and energy into natural things that work. People can rant about how great their diet pills and meds worked in conjunction with liposuction while I rant about eating right and exercising. The best thing about dogs is they aim to please their owner and will follow your lead.
    I wish you lived closer. I'd love to take him from you for a few weeks. Your Vet would be mad because I'd toss all his meds in the trash and start over fresh. - Victor (Yukon River) dog food, NuVet Supplement, Desitin ointment for his skin lesions and rashes, daily exercise, and lots of love.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • BrooklynBrooklyn New York
    Well said, Steve!
  • jur45jur45 australia

Loved reading and boy if I was closer I'd be visiting you first hand!

You know deep down I am against vet medications but as you've read many a times, leaving his body on just diet n exercise has not worked and I'm dealing with a near dead dog. Frustrating as I've always steered cleared big pharma. Hard to believe when reading all previous posts on AB but from the get go, I've tried ever so hard to do natural.

Yes I should up the exercise as he is a stressed dog without Moose. Very lost when I'm not around too. This is a huge impact on his immune system.

I am not in the position of bringing another dog due to financial and home circumstances and time needed should another be of I'll health. This is negative but I'm looking at both possibilities here.

I don't think this diet of pork and veggies (40%) advised is working either but I've changed this many times. His appetite isnt great either on AB. Very risky in changing so often. I don't know what is working and what isnt, especially pumped up falsely on AB.

I'm doing my best and hope to get him well.

IMG_20240713_161210_795.jpg
    4160 x 3120 - 4M
  • jur45jur45 australia

Late update from vet visit last week.

Finally finished AB today.

Memphis had an ECG which showed an abnormality to keep a check on. He trembles so much so it was hard to do. This may explain his exhaustion which has happened recently too. Vet said long infection can hinder the heart but so too medication.

He has natural heart supplement and I was advised to incorporate some pork offal.

Due back in two weeks.

He is looking a lot better however he is very hard to get weight on. Not very interested in eating more.

IMG_20240727_173034_973.jpg
    4160 x 3120 - 3M
    IMG_20240727_172624_244.jpg
    4160 x 3120 - 3M
    IMG_20240727_113121_982.JPG
    1138 x 1600 - 323K
    IMG_20240727_113153_479.JPG
    1057 x 1555 - 343K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    He's looking a lot better!
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • jur45jur45 australia

Morning winter sunshine before our swim😊

IMG_20240730_094423_034.jpg
    3120 x 4160 - 5M
    IMG_20240730_094415_302.jpg
    3120 x 4160 - 5M

He looks really good, Very cute pics!

• jur45jur45 australia

He's doing really well, finally🙏

Swimming, eating just good💙

Thankyou all!

That's so great to hear!!! ❤️

• jur45jur45 australia

He's just so handsome💙

IMG_20240802_091741_798.JPG
    2190 x 3399 - 1M
    IMG_20240802_091719_627.jpg
    3120 x 4160 - 4M
    IMG_20240802_091618_928.jpg
    3120 x 4160 - 4M

Yes, he is very handsome 😊 I'm so happy to hear he's doing better ❤️

• that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    He looks like a new version of himself. Fantastic!