Skip to content

11 week old puppy resource gaurding

Hi my female bull terrier pup started resource gaurding a bone , I don't understand as she seems fine when I hold it and she chews the life out of it but once I let it go she gets into it and starts a low growl when I try touch her or take it ? Otherwise she abit stubborn but is well trained she leaves it when told sits when told but when she gets it by herself she dose not want to let go understandable I must admit but I have 3 young kids so this behaviour is not what I want anyone got any idea P.S I have only hand fed her since we got her and she dose leave it command very well even with the bone ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Bones as well as raw meats can bring out the devil in some dogs. It's often a natural instinct that they were born with. Obviously not all dogs are like this but this type of aggression is something that can be an inherited behavior. I wish I could tell you that this was something easily corrected by some sort of training but it is not. However, your Bull Terrier is only 11 months old and right now would be the best time to adjust his behavior by handling the bone as much as possible when you first give him one and scold her if she shows any aggression. Take the bone away if he continues negative behavior and try again later. In the event she never learns to eat bones without acting like a demon the best thing you can do is reward her with a bone from time to time but allow her to eat in an isolate and peaceful location free from other dogs and people. If you have a dog crate this would be an ideal place to allow her to eat her bone in peace.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com