Skip to content

411 on Spay related urinary incontinence

Billie_TinaBillie_Tina California

Hello everyone,

Billie had her spay surgery after 3 heat cycles. Since her spay, I've noticed her dribbling urine here and there and when she gets really excited/barking or when she's totally relaxed, I notice she has minor urine accidents. I researched the causes and brought it up to her vet during a visit and she gave me some options on different medications, which I denied. I'm upset the vet didn't inform me on potential side effects of spaying and there could be a chance of urinary incontinence after the procedure.

Spay urinary incontinence is not common, but can happen in certain breeds such as German Shepherds and other larger dogs (English Bull Terrier was not mentioned). Im just really sad it happened to Billie.

Does anyone have any helpful solutions to strengthen her pelvic muscles without the use of hormone replacement/meds?

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I'm sad to hear this happened to your Bull Terrier. There are so many side effects and possible health issues that can result from having the sex organs surgically removed in any dog. Was there a medical reason for having your Bullie spayed?

From what I've heard, medication is normally what's required for Spay urinary incontinence. Hopefully she's not having to be on meds for the rest of her life.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • jur45jur45 australia
    edited August 2023

Hiya Tina, sorry to hear your health issue with Billie🙁 idk but you're just gonna have to trial healthier remedies if you're to avoid the medication route.

I did a quick search and there was acv but if Billie already consumes this there are other herbs to try....I saw saw palmetto but as I say, its a matter of you trialling what's safe and easy and works for you.

I really hope you come across an alternative to medication with success🤞🍀

If I see something I'll msg you😊

I have Memphis at home with a severe limp I hope will remedy itself with rest🙏

• I decided to spay Billie after her 3rd heat cycle because one of my neighbors had a 4 year old female bull terrier that passed away from pyometra. I also noticed Billie's mammary gland swelled abnormally big during her cycles and was afraid of her getting breast cancer and lastly, she would bleed for a month in a half on each cycle (which was abnormally long) . I just wanted Billie to be healthy and didn't want her to suffer and loose her early.

I spoke to her vet and she would have to be on medication for the rest of her life.

I'm really sad this happened to her and I've been managing it the best I can-extra potty outtings and a whole lot of extra cleaning and laundry. Luckily it's just tiny droplets.

• Thanks Sarah, I hope Memphis feels better soon ❤️

• jur45jur45 australia

listen to this if you haven't already Tina ❤️

• Thank you Sarah for the video link, I'll definitely try the flax seed and the soybean extract, hopefully it will help my Billie girl

• jur45jur45 australia

Go girl, you got this👏👏👏