Skip to content

My new BT puppy is unintentionally abusing my 2-year old BT by playing too hard

I got a female BT puppy (Calypso) to breed with my, now 2-year, old male BT dog (Lio) a few months ago. Calypso was making small bite marks on Lio at first, which was not too bad. Our new Dalmatian puppy had done a little of that to him at first, and then everything was fine after a couple of weeks. After I had had Calypso for a month or two, Calypso's baby K-9s fell out and I believe she was having to use more bite pressure when playing with Lio. Then, her adult K-9s started coming in, and I believe she was still biting hard. Lio is very much a passivist, and will not reprimand her, or take up for himself. I reprimand her every chance I get. She is learning, but she had already cut his neck up some. The vet looked at it and gave me some spray, and I have been applying that, along with some antibiotic ointment. I have even made him a wide leather collar and used Bitter Apple spray to deter her, but she still keeps chomping enough and scraping the area such that he can't get healed up. I'm going to contact a doggie day care tomorrow and see if they can help with some training for Calypso. She is not attacking him, just paying hard. I would appreciate any advice as to how I can get her to stop chomping Lio. She plays just as hard with the Dalmatian (Piper) but Piper puts Calypso in her place quickly, so it hasn't been a problem with Piper.
Thanks

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    The puppy stage on some Bull Terriers is very long and they can be like Tasmanian Devils at times. It's difficult to train them out of this habit of constantly wanting to rough house. Be lucky the puppy hasn't damaged your males ear yet causing a hematoma and resulting in permanently damaged cartilage in the ear which disfigures his appearance.

Saying No and scolding her only works for a few short seconds and regardless how much advice you may get from others the stubborness of a young hyper Bull Terrier is often more challenging than expected. Many people have had great succes with training collars while others will consider them to be cruel and mean. The truth is, training collars are very effective and obviously can be set from an audible beep only, a harmless buzz, or a harmless shock that can be set from gentle to strong. The settings are up to you to use depending on the reaction of your Bull Terrier. Personally, this is what I would recommend because it's an effected training device that works by sending a message to your bullie that what she's doing is unacceptable.

In due time she will grow out of this terrorism to your other Bull Terrier as she matures and settles down. Normally that's around 24 months of age.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • wheeldawgwheeldawg Panama City, Florida
    Thanks for the input. I know Lio was a handful when I first got him, and he was my first BT. LOL. He constantly surprised me with the things he did. He may have been more laid back than Calypso though. I have thought about those collars before. Do you know of a particular one you would recommend?  
    Thanks again. 
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    PetSmart sells a good one. I forget the name. I'll try and find it and post.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com