Skip to content

We adopted a rescue Bull Terrier

Texas78028Texas78028 Kerrville, TX
We have a beautiful 22 month old Bull Terrier named Simon. We had considered adopting a rescue BT as a companion for him but never really pursued it.
Recently, a BT popped up at a big city animal shelter near our area. She only had a few days left before she was to be euthanized.
When we went to see her, she looked to be in really bad shape. We knew that we had to save her no matter what. We took Simon, our 22 month old BT, to visit her in order to see if they would get along. If they didn't, we were going to take her anyway and relocate her to a Bull Terrier rescue organization but it turns out that they interact with each other very well.
She is now here at her forever home with us and Simon. I can't even imagine what this poor girls life was like before but she is very happy and loved now.
They said she is about 3 years old but I am thinking more like 18-24 months. She tested negative for heartworms and is starting to gain weight. We don't even have a name for her yet.
I will update this thread from time to time as she progresses.
Here is a picture of the day we met her...
IMG-9580.jpg
640 x 480 - 113K

Comments

• Texas78028Texas78028 Kerrville, TX
    Here are a few pics now that she is home...
    IMG-9690.jpg
    640 x 480 - 122K
    IMG-9708.jpg
    480 x 640 - 111K
    IMG-9710.jpg
    640 x 566 - 287K
    IMG-9708.jpg
    480 x 640 - 111K
  • Billie_TinaBillie_Tina California
    That's so inspiring! That's wonderful that Simon and your new girl get along. She looks happy and content that she found her new home with you. She looks very sweet! Looking forward to updates :)
  • jur45jur45 australia
    Congratulations on your big heart <3
    Simon and Simone ;) came to my mind
    She will definitely look better as Simon looks great, with your love and attention.
    Love to see her progress with you all :)
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Bless your heart for rescuing her!

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    So admirable. Glad she found a good home and a buddy to boot!
  • Thank you for saving her. Ur amazing
  • Texas78028Texas78028 Kerrville, TX
    edited June 2022
    UPDATE:
    Well... unfortunately things did not work out as planned and we were unable to keep her in our family.
    Everything was great at first and then there was an incident between Simon and the new girl. Nothing major but enough to clue us in that each BT needed to be the only dog in a household. For both of their safety, we had to crate and rotate them while we worked with a Bull Terrier rescue in order to find the right home for her. In the meantime, we worked with her to get her healthy and put on weight.
    I am ecstatic to report that a new home was found. My wife and I delivered her to her new owner in another state. We literally spent 2 days driving but it was worth it in order to give her a good home. Her new owner is BT experienced and had a 15 year old BT that passed away recently. We spent some time visiting the new owners house and believe this rescued girl has hit the jackpot.
    There were plenty of smiles and tail wagging.
    So... it is not the story that me and my wife had envisioned. We learned a few lessons and we now know some things that we would have done differently, such as slowing down the introduction period, keeping the "get to know each other" area more neutral, etc. We now know that a second BT is probably not in the cards for us but we will not hesitate to donate to and physically help any BT rescue organization if we can. Even if that means driving a dog halfway across the country at our own expense.
    We did everything that we possibly could to give that BT a chance... and we would do it all over again. We wish her a long and happy life in her new home.
    IMG-9804.jpg
    640 x 628 - 258K
    IMG-9913.jpg
    640 x 485 - 87K
  • jur45jur45 australia
    Wow you've done such a good job, she looks amazing bravo :) diet, love, new home....you're the envy of a great heart <3 <3 <3
  • kellicruzkellicruz San Diego, CA
    Thanks so much for sharing this. I so appreciate that you rescued her and then re-rescued her. She is beautiful and it makes me so sad to see these majestic animals on death row in shelters. We recused our BT from the shelter. She was just 10 mos old. This breed is def not for everyone but it makes me sick how many are abandoned or dumped at the shelter. thanks so much saving her!! From Ruby in San Diego
    IMG_2234 .JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    She needed your help and you stepped up and owned that challenge. You put in the effort and you did what was asked of you. Rescuing a dog is never 100% perfect. You found out by trial and error. That's what we in the BT world call hard knocks. But you came out on top with new knowledge and experience. You did exactly what you set out to do, you saved her from deaths door. Great job!