Skip to content

Introducing "Luna"

Hi everyone, this is Luna she is about 7 weeks old. (Not too sure) We have been working on potty training and she has basic commands down (sit, stay, , lie down). Im a little worried she is on the smaller side and not really interested in being outside. She is very playful indoors when she is not sleeping. Also she will not sleep anywhere but her crate. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
IMG_164609555935F.jpg
1080 x 1920 - 441K

Comments

• that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    edited March 2022
    Luna is beautiful.
    Potty training is a will by you to get her to do her business outside or where ever that spot may be. I always do the every hour on the hour for the first few days. Then you can learn her schedule. Once you catch on, she will be great. Then you will know how often you really need to do it. Eventually she will just know she needs to do it outside.

She sleeps in her crate because it is her safe place. She will become more social as she gets comfortable. I always let mine sleep in her crate but then I could not help myself to go get her to lay on my lap. That's right where I want her to be comfortable enough to sleep. I call it bonding time. Others call it spoiling. I don't care what others say. Now mine is 60lbs and a lap dog.

The only thing I question is: is she 7 weeks old? She seems very small. But it could just be the picture. If she is eating good quality food and drinking, with no worms. Then keep up doing the proper feeding and she will develop on her own schedule. Just keep an eye on her for the next few weeks to make sure she is making good progress.

You will be so happy when she is looking like you expect. They grow for about 2 yrs. At 6 months, she will start putting on some good weight. Keep up the good work, it pays off.
  • Thank you. I do have her on a potty schedule and she loves falling asleep on my lap. If i cant pick her up when she wants to nap or sleep she just runs to her crate and she sleeps thru the night first couple of days she was wanting out every two hrs for potty.

Her size is my main concern we were told she should be about 7 weeks maybe going on 8 weeks but she is only 6lbs. She eats very well drinks plenty of water. Overall she looks happy and healthy.

Her previous owner had her on pedigree puppy and i am having a hard time getting her to eat anything else even if i mix them.

I think this is a better picture.
    20220301_084918.jpg
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    For lack of better term. I think she might be a runt of the littler. Not that it will change her ability to be a loving companion. She does not appear to have worms but it is always a good preventative measure. If you have visited the vet and they give her a clean bill of health. I would look into a better quality food and maybe even some supplements to help boost her development. If she is a bit littler. You will love her just the same.

EBT's are somewhat difficult to pinpoint an adult weight on them. Genetics is the key to knowing a target size. But every pup if different.

When switching food, also try getting some fresh or canned food. This will stimulate her to want to try it. That's a slippery road though. Mine got hooked on the soft food and thinks she should have it all the time. So she is a mixed soft and hard food kind of dog. Yes, I've spoiled her.

Keep up the good work. She will grow, just how much is anyone's guess.

Bill
  • jur45jur45 australia
    Oh how we remember those early weeks, beautiful.
    She will grow so quick so enjoy, do your best and share those milestones! We all love reading one another's loving and challenging moments. And the pics of course :p
  • I think the same she might have been the runt of the litter. She is small but has a huge personality. She has gotten a clean bill of health from her vet, she said to give her time and she might surprise us. For sure no matter her size she is very loved????

Thank you for the advice on switching her food. Im just trying to decide if she should go grain free. Im waiting for the OK from the vet on the food switch because she has the occasional runny poo. Sorry for the tmi. I think we all spoil them????
  • Yes they do grow so quickly :'( i have learned alot reading others posts also. i will try and keep updates on her.
    Grain Free is all I do for McKenzie. She does very well with it. That and no chicken food. I never feed her chicken dog food, even if it's grain free.
  • @that1Boomer may i ask why no chicken? We currently started the switch to PURE BALANCE chicken and pea she seems to really like it. We wanted to try the poultry free one which was lamb and fava bean flavored but im not sure about the fava bean i read very mixed reviews on it.
    I've always had issues feeding chicken dog food to my EBT's. It's maybe more personal of a choice. But the difference to me is: is it chicken or chicken meal? This as an article explaining the differences. I just steer clear of chicken on most anything other than chicken I cook myself. So no processed chicken anything. That makes me feel better about it all.
    https://www.petsmagazine.com.sg/a/features/pet-pantry/256/the-truth-about-chicken-and-chicken-by-products-in-pet-food
    I hope this helps. Like I said, this is a personal choice for me. I also think that the chicken food played a role in my last EBT having such a short life span. She ended up with autoimmune issues. Nothing definitive there. Just a speculation. So anything I can do to help McKenzie, I will do it. NuVet is something I recommend as well. It is a great supplement to add to any Bullies diet. :)
  • @that1Boomer thank you for the advice :) i switched her over to a poultry free grain free food and she is doing great. She looks healthier, happier and so full of energy now!
  • @that1Boomer thank you for the advice :) i switched her over to a poultry free grain free food and she is doing great. She looks healthier, happier and so full of energy now!