Skip to content

Looking for opinions from those that have more than one Bull Terrier

Texas78028Texas78028 Kerrville, TX
edited February 2022 in Bull Terrier Character
We have a beautiful and rambunctious 18-month-old male Bull Terrier named Simon. We are seriously thinking about getting a 2nd BT as an additional companion.
We have registered with a BT rescue organization and plan to adopt a rescue BT. Simon came from a good breeder and we thought about going back but there are so many BT's out there that need a good home that we would like to go the rescue route.
Are we crazy for wanting another Bull Terrier? Do most owners have more than one? All comments are appreciated.

Comments

• jur45jur45 australia
    Hello, I had to comment :)
    How can you stop at one hey!
    It’s wonderful you’re thinking of going down the rescue route but you would probably have more challenges and concerns that I cannot advise about. I am the lucky owner of two brothers (not from the same litter) but I call them bro’s lol Moose n Memphis.
    They are intact males 2yo and 17 months old and are wonderful with normal growing up milestones I believe. I understand they will change as they grow but I am aware I will always be ready to tackle these changes hopefully with positive results. Every dog is different and combination of characters so it will be a personal journey for you but if you’re willing and prepared for the work and input I would encourage you as there are many multiple dog owners around.
    Good luck keep us posted :)
    4BD01F2E-ADDE-42FE-8BFD-95FB43183744.jpeg
    3851 x 2316 - 3M
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    We conduct Rescue and adoption for the state of North Carolina. Over the years we have have rescued hundreds of Bull Terriers and found loving homes for all of them. One thing you need to take into consideration when adopting a Rescue Bull Terrier is that there is often a good reason why the original owner paid for an expensive puppy and later decided to render it. There's normally an underlining reason why a BT ends up as a rescue. Common reasons range from aggression/ill temperament, health issues, OCD, and dog aggression. Truthfully if an owner had a Bull Terrier that was healthy, house broken, great temperament, and got along with other dogs they'd likely have a friend, relative, or neighbor waiting in line to take over ownership of their pure bred Bull Terrier. However, if the owner doesn't know anyone that was willing to adopt their dog it's most likely because the dog has an issue that distracts from the thought of ownership. I would say 8 out of 10 Bull Terriers we've rescued would not do well in a home with other dogs. Most responsible breeders mandate that any puppy they sell comes back to them for rehoming if the owner can no longer care for the dog they purchased from them. With this said, the rescues available from adoption normally are NOT coming from responsible breeders which may explain why so many of them have health, temperment, and aggression issues.
    I certainly don't wish to steer you away from adopting a Bull Terrier but I feel this information may be helpful in your decision. Bringing in an adult Bull Terrier that may have bad habits and other issues may be a ticking time bomb with your other dog especially if dominance comes into play and turns into aggression between 2 Bull Terriers thought to have been tolerant of other dogs.
    Introducing a small puppy into a home is far easier than bringing in an adult dog and proper genetics from a good bloodline has more merit than people realize.

5 Gorgeous Bullies.jpg
    4032 x 2268 - 2M
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • jur45jur45 australia
    That is very good knowledgeable advice Steve :)
  • Texas78028Texas78028 Kerrville, TX
    edited May 2022
    That picture is priceless. Thank you for that advice. I can only imagine the chaos that must go on at times in your life!
    The breeder we got Simon from did indeed state that as "part owner", the dog would go back to them if we ever gave him up. Or something like that. We have had Simon for 15 months now and we are in it for the long haul. If a second dog is in our future, we will take it slow and do the right thing.
  • Texas78028Texas78028 Kerrville, TX
    edited May 2022
    Well.... we have a second Bull Terrier now.
    A rescue BT popped up at a city animal shelter near our area. She only had a few days left before they were going to euthanize her. We had to save her no matter what. Turns out that she is super sweet and gets along with our Simon very well.
    She is in pretty rough shape and has a long road ahead of her. I can't even imagine what her life must have been like before we found her. I will start a new thread and update our progress.
    New thread is here... https://bulliesofnc.com/BTforum/discussion/3611/we-adopted-a-rescue-bull-terrier#latest
    IMG-9580.jpg
    640 x 480 - 113K
  • I am so glad that you found her!!

• kSig79kSig79 Charleston,WV

We decided when Kenzie was 4 years old that she needed a pal and we were ready for another baby. It backfired… Kenzie isn’t super in love with Loki. She tolerates him. But he annoys her and they are not best buds like I had hoped. Luckily Loki has a very sweet disposition and he doesn’t seem to mind her occasion moody snarls and growls. They don’t fight, thankfully. They are both really good natured dogs and it works. We just have to let Kenzie have her space sometimes.

I absolutely adore these dogs. If I could I’d have a whole house full. Seems a lot of BT owners can’t stop at one.

IMG_2301.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 5M