Skip to content

Unable to teach loose leash / leash pressure - help?

Hello everyone!
So i've been watching a lot of videos about leash pressure and I tried with Umbra, my 1.5 yr o mini bullterrier.
The biggest issue is that she does not react at all like the rest of the dogs I see on these videos e.g. once the leash is tight she 'locks down' - there is no way to make her release that pressure.
It's so frustrating .. I would think that she would hate the pressure (and I think she does) but instead of moving a little bit closer to release that pressure she keeps her position, head down, tail between her legs - no matter how much I would pull.
Eventually I give up in frustration :)

She seems so miserable every time I try to do this with her, I don't know what to try anymore.

I'd like to be able to walk nicely in the direction I want, without her to suddenly STOP. It's a total struggle to walk anywhere if she doesn't feel like it - I just wonder what's the point in having this kind of dog, she's more like a cat in a dog body really :)

Do you guys have similar issues? If so, how do you deal with them?

Thank you,
PXL_20211029_185951586.NIGHT.jpg
3024 x 4032 - 4M

Comments

• that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    First, you have a beautiful brindle girl.

You may not having success for a simple reason, if you are walking with a harness. The tension method pretty much only works for collars. with a harness, she will pull like an ox even when there is pressure or tension. Think of it like a horse pulling a wagon. the more tension on the harness, the more they want to pull. It is the same for a Bull Terrier or any dog.

I have had success in the area of harness training with one really simple method. When they pull on the harness, you stop, turn and walk the other way. Don't let them make all the choices. You let them know within a few walks, that you make the choices and that you are the boss. Couple that with the simple stop and let them stop pulling, then walk the other way. I promise you, once they understand that they can only walk where you want and how you want. They start to become much better walkers.

But a Bull Terrier will always be a Bull Terrier, not all of them are cut out for walking. It's a combination of, the owner giving up to easy and the will of the dog being stronger then the owner. Either way the owner and the dog loses.

All the best of luck, this method has worked for me with both of my rambunctious girls.

McKenzie says hi.

20191026_150620.jpg
    1554 x 907 - 200K
  • alexandruvalexandruv Warsaw, Poland
    Thank you for the comment, yes you are right on the harness, this picture was to illustrate the unhappy face :) she makes when I want to go a different direction than hers.

I have tried with several collars: standard flat collar, martingale, prong (she is terrified of the prong, she actually shakes - and I have bought the original, herman springer one) - to no avail.
    She would rather choke herself to death than move a bit to release the pressure.

Walking the other way means actually pulling her the other way - which makes me look like a monster trying to suffocate the poor dog. Many people have told me: why are you pulling you god like that?? It makes me feel so bad about it ..

Sometimes I get super frustrated and I just take her back home (that direction she knows too well and she's more than happy to walk there).
  • Nothing is wrong with your dog, most of the bullies are like that. :) I figured that words "Park" and "Beach" make my boy moving. For a short walks I tell him that we are going only around the block - he seems fine when he knows how long the walk will take and where we will be going. I also noticed my bully does not mind long walks when he wears his winter jacket/vest. Guess it comforts him in some way or he feels secure similar to thunder jackets /wraps making dogs feel more safe and calm.

• that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    Brooklyn has a great suggestion.

Don't let what others say or what you think they are thinking, persuade you from doing what needs done. They do not have to deal with it, you do. And I would have to say, you are no monster. You just need to find something that actually works for you and your dog, and don't give up. Something as simple as a jacket or even just stopping and kneeling next to her when you stop, talking to her and soothing her with petting and attention. Finding that one thing that makes it all work, that's the key. All the best.
  • jur45jur45 australia
    All great comments. I thought I’d suggest another random one.
    Have you got a friend with a dog to walk with? Of course a dog that Umbra likes :)
    Beautiful pic of McKenzie Boomer!