Skip to content

Heartbroken and asking for support and prayers

Ariana1018Ariana1018 Las Vegas, NV
Hey guys. Sorry in advance for the lengthy post but here it goes..
Recently we have discovered some health issues in our 1.5 year old female Kailua. Last week we began noticing some heavy blood tinged diarrhea and brought her into the vet to see what was going on. During the ultrasound they found what looked to be some inflammation in her abdomen that looked normal according to the vet considering she had just finished her heat cycle. Two days later she completely stopped pooping and drinking water. It was clear she was struggling to go and we brought her in for another vet exam. After another ultrasound it was clear the inflammation was actually a rapidly growing mass in her peritoneal cavity which was crushing her digestive and urinary system. Being unable to empty her bladder presented a risk of high potassium levels and cardiac arrest, so she is currently on a catheter and on her way for a CT scan so they can determine the exact location and hopefully aspirate the mass for further testing. Unfortunately due to the potential risk of bleeding out they may not be able to aspirate it. And according to blood work it is very likely to be cancerous. If that is the case, they will be unable to operate and remove it and treatment would consist of radiation/chemo which is extremely costly. She has always been a healthy and happy girl so we were absolutely caught off guard by this. We’ve already spent over $5,000 on her care and we are running low on money for future diagnosis and treatment. We are just asking for support as this is an extremely emotional time for us. My significant other and I are unable to have children of our own so our dogs are our kids. I feel as though we are losing a child. We started a gofundme page which I will link here if anyone would like to donate towards her care or share and pass it along. I will never outright as for money, it’s just not who I am so this took a lot for us to create a gofundme page. It’s a very serious situation. I know everyone here is passionate about bull terriers so I figured it would be the right place to ask for support. Any words of kindness are highly appreciated and welcome. We just want to bring her home alive and healthy. Her brother Jackson is so upset and confused looking for Kailua and it’s breaking our hearts even more. Thank you guys

https://gofund.me/96a14b5a
9F5BF0C9-E8D3-48F9-B9BE-9625379B2577.jpeg
3088 x 2316 - 2M
EACDF7EE-6766-40C7-9657-19E1C7301177.jpeg
1035 x 1764 - 338K

Comments

• jur45jur45 australia
    Omg Ariana, it’s really hard to write words of what you and Jackson must be feeling every minute. I’m lost but know everyone who can will reach out and help you in this desperate situation and don’t feel guilty in doing this. We all hope n pray for a safe, pain free and quick outcome for your loved girl Kailua. It’s one of those unfortunate surprises in life for us all living to find the best solutions and to really cherish every day xxx I’m struggling to get the right words together at 5am AU time ....sorry but come to the lovers and supporters on this site for strength, advice and more. We have everything crossed you and Jackson will be back to snuggling moments again <3 XXOO
  • jur45jur45 australia
    My heart emojis never upload but are with you.
  • Ariana1018Ariana1018 Las Vegas, NV
    @jur45 thank you so much for your kind words and invisible heart emoji’s *hugs*
    We are so scared and I cannot stop the tears from flowing thinking about how uncomfortable she must be surrounded by strangers, going through these tests, and being in pain. They’ve ruled out pyometra and other infections which is good but still they are preparing us for news of cancer as that is what they are thinking the diagnosis will be. Anyway I will keep this thread updated as we get more news. It’s been overwhelming dealing with this but we are equally overwhelmed with the amount of love being shown by everyone around us and even people we don’t know. So thank you very much!
    Just wanted to update in case anyone is following this thread. Kai is still in emergency care. Her CT scan came back and the mass seems to be an abscess on her colon. They could not aspirate it since the fluid may leak out and cause sepsis. They are pushing for surgery to remove it but because she is backed up and needs to poop, they aren’t sure if it’s possible to do the surgery with a successful recovery as her bowels will need to empty post op and it will risk tearing the sutures on her colon. This is such a tough situation. I asked them to administer antibiotics and stool softeners to hopefully get her to go before the procedure and clear up the abscess with antibiotics. Still waiting for an update this morning. Please send prayers and positive thoughts. Thank you
  • jur45jur45 australia
    Hello again :)
    Thankyou and wishing you all the best with news for your precious babe. I must let you know I have had a lot of help and success from Donna your owns a company ‘iloveadog.com.au’ here in Australia. Please get in touch with her in helping recovery/cancer/solutions for Kailua as she is a god send and has helped many pooches.
    I hope the tears stop and you get some good news very soon <3 XOXO
  • jur45jur45 australia
    Here are my hearts and angels coming through
  • Ariana, I cried when I read this. I am so sorry about your baby girl Kai. You must be so worried and sad. My prayers are with you and your family. I'm hoping for the best for Kai so she can home healthy and happy. Sending love and positive thought your way
    @jur45 @Billie_Tina thank you guys for your kind words and support. We are beside ourselves with this situation.
    The emergency vet went ahead and proceeded with the surgery this morning. Unfortunately they concluded that her colon is inoperable. The tissue is necrotic and resection isn’t possible since the colon is such a fragile and vascular area and so much of it is dead tissue. The likelihood of a full recovery would be virtually zero according to their professional opinion. They still don’t know exactly what this necrotic abscess/mass was caused by. Maybe a congenital disease, cancer, or physical trauma from something she ate. Although we keep a very close eye on her, she tends to wolf down her food without chewing much.
    After deciding there was nothing more they could do for her, they allowed us to pick her up about an hour ago and she seems happy as can be. The pain meds are wearing off now and you can tell she is getting uncomfortable. At this point we have exhausted all of our funds (over $8,000) we don’t want to put her through any more pain and since the prognosis is grave, we have made the extremely difficult decision to send her up to bull terrier heaven tmrw morning. I can’t stand that this is our only option and I wish things were different. We are cherishing our last night with our baby girl. Jackson is so happy to spend time with her as well, they are currently snuggled up on the couch.
    I can’t help but feel like a bad parent..even though our vet, the surgeon, and oncologist all have said that she won’t survive this. I’m not sure I’ll ever own another dog because my heart could not go through this again. We are blessed to have Jackson and going forward we are taking extreme precaution regarding his health. I know bull terriers have a lot of health issues but this was very unexpected. Please give your bully’s some extra love and kisses. I guess you just never know what could happen in a matter of days. I know Kai will rest peacefully with our sweet Kona girl, my fiancé’s bull terrier who passed last year after a long life of 15 years. This has been, and will continue to be an incredibly emotional time so I thank you both for responding and being there for us while we go through it. Sending love and hugs
    05BDB53B-723D-4DC3-AF83-99A8EE4D77A2.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    0D53D810-E47B-4878-BE63-09D41694E0D7.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 5M
    D4F286C6-69F6-4E9D-AC72-549CCAC98DF5.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 5M
    B6534AB4-006C-479C-90DC-03FAF3D0DA0B.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 3M
  • I'm so sorry for you and your familiy. I don't even know what to say...
    My heart goes out to you ....I'm so sorry Ariana
  • jur45jur45 australia
    My words exactly Tina....I don’t know what to say but I know Ariana, you know, we feel for you all..... hugs, kisses, angels are with you
    Heart emojis on and on and on.......