Skip to content

Probiotics?

Hey everyone! My female Kai has been having some tummy issues recently and I’m wondering if anyone has tried probiotics for their dogs and if they helped? Any specific recommendations? We currently give her nuvet wafers everyday and she loves them. It’s improved her immune system (no more black nails!) and her coat is shiny as ever. But she just seems to have runny poops every now and then and I’m wondering what I can do for her. I’ve always given her boiled chicken or turkey breast along with instinct grain free dry kibble. She drinks a healthy amount of water as well. I don’t think it’s the food that bothers her because her poop quality is inconsistent. Sometimes she does great and other times she has diarrhea out of nowhere (lol gross, I know) but at this point it’s been a lot more bad than good. Just wondering if a probiotic would be beneficial. Any suggestions are more than welcome, thanks! Adding a photo of her sweet face just because :)
A2F8AFDF-3AD4-4EEB-A64A-CD07AFB96257.jpeg
3024 x 3451 - 2M

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Most 5 star kibble has probiotics. The tummy issues could be with a certain ingredient within the food that your Bullie is having an issue with. I've noticed many Bullies that do not do well with chicken. I prefer beef, lamb, or salmon for the main protein within the food I purchase.
    Victor, NuVet, Grizzly.jpg
    720 x 1080 - 596K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Ariana1018Ariana1018 Las Vegas, NV
    @BulliesofNC thank you for your reply Steve!
    We have been giving our bullies nuvet supplements since they were just babies. They love em!

Unfortunately the tummy issues our baby girl was having ended up being something way worse than we thought. A few days after I posted this she began experiencing constipation and could not go pee either. She spent four days in emergency care and had 8 doctors trying to figure out what was wrong. Turns out she had a blood-filled, highly vascular mass in her abdomen that was taking up a lot of space in her belly and was growing very quickly. They attempted surgery to remove it but it was not successful due to the location and amount of blood vessels inside of it. After thousands of dollars on her care and many many more tears, we lost our girl Kai on Monday the 15th.. we are still waiting for autopsy lab results to find out what exactly caused this but our doctors think it was either a congenital abnormality or a type of cancer called hemangiosarcoma. We are so heartbroken and crushed to have lost such a sweet, loving, amazing, and young girl with absolutely no expectation of it. My male EBT Jackson is beside himself as well. They were seven months apart and the best of friends. I can’t help but feel responsible since she did have her bouts of diarrhea here and there. We always just figured she had a sensitive tummy. Her vet checkups came back with healthy results each time. Just wish we would have known sooner and been able to save her.. ugh. We just never thought it would end this way and in a matter of days..
    Out of curiosity, and based on your experience, have you heard of many EBT’s having hemangiosarcoma? Or anything similar to this?
    OMG that's devastating news. I'm so sorry to hear this. That's something which is extremely rare and there's no way you would have known. I'm curious, as well, as to what exactly it was and the cause.
    I've personally never heard another Bull Terrier that had hemangiosarcoma. How old was she?

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Ariana1018Ariana1018 Las Vegas, NV
    @BulliesofNC thank you, i don’t even have the words to describe what we are going through at the moment. I had never heard of that type of cancer before all this and when I researched it, bull terriers aren’t on the list for common breads affected. She was only 1.5 years old. Just the most loving dog ever. We should get the lab results back soon and I’ll keep you updated if you’d like.
    She has always been the alpha and more protective one in our two-bully pack but on her last day at home, I think she knew it was almost time for her to move on. She stayed close to us, became a little stoic and allowed Jackson to stand over her. Which she wouldn’t normally do. Jackson is having a hard time trying to find his place now but we’re doing our best to keep him active and give him extra love. I still feel her presence in the house and he definitely does too. Any advise on how to help a dog grieve is more than welcome! Attaching some photos just to honor her memory
    A430358E-6829-4F3A-ADE1-6C996AB26742.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 4M
    8938D3A6-4CCE-4A9E-B9BC-13450CB0DE84.jpeg
    2087 x 2087 - 933K
    B2F1F88B-40E6-4F86-858C-D52B8487373C.jpeg
    3024 x 4032 - 3M
    I'm very curious as to what they find out from the tests. Please keep me in the loop.

memories.jpg
    1716 x 1222 - 681K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com