Skip to content

HELP! My EBT and nephew do not get along.

Hi everyone.. I’m new here! :)

I need help with my bullie Brodie- he’s so lovely and is such a mard. He’s my baby & absolute world and so is my nephew, who’s 5. My nephew is petrified of Brodie, which I know Brodie will feed off his energy.. however, him being 5 and my Brodie being 5 stone, I understand. I need advice on how to get them to become best friends and my nephew to see the soft, loving boy Brodie. I also have a 2 year old niece but my nephew is the main one I want to get them fine with each other.

Brodie is so jumpy and jumps up visitors to give them kisses.. we do stop him but he reaches my nephews face, which he then runs off and Brodie thinks it’s a game.

Has anyone ever had any issues like this? And if so, how did you overcome this? We have a holiday booked in October with my whole family and Brodie is coming so I need yo get him used to him.

We have planned walks but the rain at the moment is holding us back- Brodie will NOT walk in the rain

Thank you ???? :))

Comments

• jur45jur45 australia
    Hello Michaela
    I just had to comment as no one has responded to you and I feel for you with your dilemma as you sound like you have a wonderful bond with your nephew and Brodie.
    I truly have no answers but wanted you to know this is a great site but obviously it’s a hard one to resolve and no one has a quick fix or they are very busy.
    I too have nieces that are scared of dogs and I just have to separate as good as I can which doesn’t help the bonding and doesn’t help the dog either. I understand how Brodie wants to play and they can be over whelming for kids especially that young and small.
    I hope someone has suggested solutions from outside your family that you can try.
    Good luck
    Sarah
    Moose n Memphis
    9EC86E78-BD56-4724-97E7-44BE784A2890.png
    640 x 1136 - 2M
  • that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    edited May 2021
    Hi, you can first try to leash your EBT while around your nephew. Also let your nephew know that he needs to correct as well. Always reward for acceptable behavior and be very strict with the correcting. It is easy to hurt their feelings but, that is what you want. A firm NO and a redirect. Personally, I use a NO and ignore for at least 5 minutes. The dog will sulk for a little bit. But after you do this for about 10 or so times. The dog will understand what you want and what you don't want. It will be a slow process if you don't remain on top of the issue. The leash will allow you to keep the dog down while in training. That will eventually be going away, once you feel comfortable with how the dog is behaving to your training. Consistency and patients is the key to anything EBT related. It is vital to a well behaved Bully. I just know that, when we let our girl slide on a few training rules, she understands that as - she is allowed to do the wrong things and keeps doing it her way.

You will feel like a broken record, but it will be worth it in the end.

There are many more on this forum with a lot more advice, they just need to chime in.

All the best, Bill
  • jur45jur45 australia
    Thanks for your input Bill.
    Your right it takes consistency and time with any training. I don’t see my nieces often enough to do this but I hope michaela can And more jump on board to help :)
  • Billie_TinaBillie_Tina California
    Hi and welcome!
    I have a niece and nephew who are 4 and 2. I used a leash to train her not to jump or play rough with them. I use the "down" command when I introduce her to ANY kid. I still use a leash when they come over to visit (just incase), but for the most part, Billie is gentle with them. I still "practice" with Billie by taking her to the park. If kids want to say hi and pet her, she automatically lays down. Best wishes :)
  • Nice work Tina.
    Good girl Billie!
    Thank you Dan:)
    How's Scarlett doing?
  • Better everyday. Took her visiting friends today. Everyone falls in love with her!. She becoming a great lil lady!
  • Tina, how was your day?
    Awwe that's great to hear Scarlett is getter better! She sounds like a total sweet heart! My day was great! Did our morning walk and early evening walk with Billie. Tried sitting on the grass with Billie today and immediately wiped her down when we got home, but her tummy still broke out into a slight rash. I was hoping she would "grow out" of her allergies, but I think it's something that we have to deal with and avoid potential triggers. I have a pretty good routine down for her where we can still do things, we just have to work around them :)
  • jur45jur45 australia
    I’m butting in hear guys :o
    Nice to hear all is well with Scarlett Dan and Billie, Tina. Yes the grass lol Memphis loves rolling in it eating it....such a puppy :D
    My boys are doing good too
    Enjoy your loves <3
    Hi Sarah! I'm glad to hear the boys are good :)
  • jur45jur45 australia
    Thx Tina
    Sorry I butted in your convo :#
    But wishing you guys all good health all round :)
    Thank you Sarah :) and no you're not butting in at all :)
  • Hi Sarah, your always welcome to join in. BTW Sarah- How was your day? LOL
    Most breeds don't need the caring that our Bullies need, but this is why WE love them SOOOOOO much, NO? Scarlett also loves grass. I used to stop her, but I can see she likes it. So why not keep her SPOILED. We have to make a play date. LOL
    Have a great day, boys & girls...... :x
    The care we provide our ebt's are from our hearts. It definitely creates a strong bond of love and trust :)
  • jur45jur45 australia
    They are so loyal....just had a reaction to a white tail spider on my dressing gown, yes it was on me....and my boys came to my rescue :D what darlings they are o:)

Oh wish we were all closer for that play day :p
    Awwe that is very sweet and loyal of the boys to come to your rescue :)
    And yes, that would be so awesome if we all lived closer for play dates!
  • @ MichaelaH My experience with my EBT is even though she behaves for me, she tries to get away with stuff she knows is "bad" with others. Her worst behavior is jumping in people's faces for a "kiss". She means no harm, but I totally get that it's scary and could result in an injury. Especially to a small child or an elderly person. She learned quickly who would not tolerate her behavior. She is a perfect angel around my 89 yr old mother because Mom corrected her from the first day. It was easy to get my friends on board with this, but they are adults who are not afraid. So she doesn't meet strangers without her leash. The only place she gets an opportunity to do this anymore is at the dog park because she can get far enough away from me to stop her. I have asked the people that I see there regularly to correct her, and most people at the dog park are dog savvy and ready for excited doggies. Your nephew (and niece) may just have to get a bit bigger and more able to participate in correcting Brody. Also, try exercising him before he sees the children. A tired pup can be a less excitable pup.
  • Hi, when you meet up with visitors, keep the lease on Brody, & then your foot on the lease. so his ability to jump is negative. He'll learn!
  • BrooklynBrooklyn New York
    I would ask the nephew to help training Brodie. 5 yo can ask sit or down commands with adults help and under constant supervision. As a game you can teach to redirect unwantad behavior (in your case jumping) by asking Brodie to do a trick (nephew rewards Brodie with a good treat) or ask him to bring a toy or a ball.
  • MichaelaHMichaelaH Stoke-on-trent
    Thank you so much everyone for your help! They haven’t had chance to meet again yet but I will definitely take your advice on board and lesh him until he calms and understands. I know its not going to be an overnight thing but I’m so determined to get them to be best friends.

Wish me luck! :)