Skip to content

Proper Bull Terrier Colors and Codes

BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people improperly register their EBT with the wrong color. I think the problem is because most people don't realize just how many color combinations there are within the English Bull Terrier Breed.

Here's a listing of all the colors within the breed:

Colors
DescriptionTypeCode
Black & TanS 018
Black BrindleS 279
Black Brindle & WhiteS 021
Black Tan & WhiteS 030
BrindleS 057
Brindle & WhiteS 059
RedS 140
Red & WhiteS 146
WhiteS 199
White & Black BrindleS 328
White & BrindleS 203
White & RedS 214
White Black & TanS 219
FawnA 082
Fawn & WhiteA 086
Fawn SmutA 324
Fawn Smut & WhiteA 325
Red SmutA 322
Red Smut & WhiteA 323
White & FawnA 207
White & Fawn SmutA 327
White & Red SmutA 326

In the event you do not know what the differences are within each of the colors please click on the following link for specifics and illustrations:

EBT Colors

- Steve Gogulski
"It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
www.bulliesofnc.com

Comments

• I think my least favorite color is the fawn. I prefer a dark, deep red.
  • edited February 2012
    Steve, is Daisy a red and white smut?  Smut is such a strange word.  You think they could have come up with something a little more classy? :)
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    LOL. You're right the word smut doesn't sound all that nice but in reality most Red & White colored EBT's are actually Red Smut and White. There's MANY drop dead gorgeous ones too. Daisy is included in that gorgeous category too because her proper color would be a Red Smut and White (323) due to the black around her muzzle.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I think that black really enhances her face.  She IS gorgeous:)  I'm very partial to her eye liner!
    Me too. She's going to be a gorgeous Bullie! :-bd
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • fawn isnt listed on the akc paper work they give you with the puppy. what if i have a white with a black eye spot I dont follow the rules exactly, claxxton is a white and black brindle but i sure as hell wouldnt put him as that, i just put him as white. lol

Many of the colors of the Bull Terrier aren't listed on the AKC registration paperwork. This is why I provide the colors and codes on the registration for all puppies I sell in order to alleviate mistakes. AKC does annotate some of the basic colors on the registration papers. However, they expect that you conduct the proper research to annotate specifics if it's required. The first chart listed at the top depicts all the AKC colors and codes of the bull terrier. If you registered Claxxton as a white on his paperwork it will have him appear to be a pure white verse a white with colored markings. In reality, many make this mistake and it's not a big deal unless you decide on showing and his pedigree is questioned but I'm sure you could always say you made a mistake. If it were me I'd contact AKC and explain to them that you made a mistake and wish to correct it.

The reason I initiated this thread on the Forum was for this very reason.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Wouldn't it be neat to see a solid RED with no white or black on the face and muzzle. The face and head would look so cool. Just my oppinion. I love all 22 color combinations of the Bull Terrier.

- Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • I would love a complete Brindle.
    Craig Lee BONC Jacksonville NC
  • I second the brindle :D
    Your actions speak so loudly I cannot hear your words.
  • I third the brindle :P Although I would like a deep red as well with no white. That color is so hard to find!

bull-terrier-colors.jpg
    1599 x 1035 - 354K
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    One added note I thought I'd mention just for knowledge and education is that AKC lists a total of 22 different color combinations of the Bull Terrier which all have assigned color codes for registration purposes. However, the truth is there is actually only 20 authentic color combinations of the Bull Terrier. The "White and Red Smut" as well as the "White and Fawn Smut" are genetically impossible to produce which is why you will never see one. I contacted AKC about their mistake in providing two erroneous colors of the Bull Terrier and explained how it would be genetically impossible to have "Smut" markings on a White Bull Terrier. They actually agreed but mentioned that the AKC does NOT depict proper colors nor are they the ones who provide the guidance and policies on proper colors. This comes from the National Club. In this case, this would be the Bull Terrier Club of America (BTCA). I was told that if there were to be any necessary changes to the proper color combinations of the Bull Terrier if would have to come from the BTCA. With this said, I tagged a few key members of the BTCA on Facebook so they would see my post and respond accordingly. Shockingly not one of them bothered responding.
    Maybe it's me, but if I knew there was a mistake within anything that correlated to the Breed Standard and had the capabilities to correct the problem I would at least show interest in the subject matter. Who knows, maybe in due time we'll see a change to the color options listed for registering a Bull Terrier and know that "somebody" was listening.

So, let this be the first place (besides my post on Facebook) where the correct information is publicly known in regard to the "20" color combinations of the Bull Terrier. ;)
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • This might be a stupid question, but I'm not sure so I have to ask,
    Is there such thing as a solid black and white bullie?
    Or is it always black brindle?
  • edited May 2017
    As far as I know - but I'm no expert - there's no such thing as solid black or white in English Bull Terriers. Even in the individuals that appear completely black you will eventually find a different colored spot somewhere, as you will in a seemingly solid white. But there are such individuals existing that appear to be entirely black or white - at least at first glance - and it will take a while to find "their spots". :)
    Djammy is correct. There is no such thing as Black and White Bull Terrier. I've seen many people call their Bull Terrier a "Black and White" but they are a Black Brindle and White. With this color you will always be able to see hints of brinding on the lower parts of their legs as well as on their face in the cheek areas. Some Black Brindles have less brindle then others so from a photo they may appear to be completely solid black but I have yet to see a true Black and White without any brindle markings.
    On another note, I have never seen a Bull Terrier that didn't have a white chest regardless what color they were.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Not so much in the UK but I see a few people with all black bullies is this a relatively new thing
    I've never in my life seen a solid black Bull Terrier. As a matter of fact, I have never seen any Bull Terrier that didn't have a white chest.
    There are some Black Brindles that have very little brindling that appear solid black in some photos though.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • No your right Steve I did trawl the Internet trying to prove you wrong but that little white chest pops up every time . I find it fascinating I did try reading up an article on colour genetics but it was way over my head. Do you have a favourite preference. I love black brindle and white it's striking but for my my first bull terrier I wanted to go with traditional white.
    Truthfully when it comes to the Bull Terrier my attention is on the overall structure and conformation vice the color. I guess if I had to pick it would probably be a Brindle and White with no white splash (saddleback) markings.
    - Steve Gogulski
    www.bulliesofnc.com