Skip to content

I need help with my 8yo male EBT

This is my first post on a forum like this so I’m not sure anyone will even respond or see this. This will be a long post so I apologize in advance.

I need help.
A little backstory, I’m the daughter of the owner and we’ve had Franklyn since he was 8 weeks, he is now 8 years old. He’s had micro aggressions throughout his life. We’ve trained him since we brought him home, and spent endless amounts of time working with him. When he was just a few months old, he was attacked by my uncles American bully and after that Frank wasn’t friendly to other dogs anymore, which we handled and have been able to avoid any altercations with any other dogs since. Although, he doesn’t like strangers (ie, the mailman, Jehovas witnesses, etc.) he has never been aggressive until recently. We have two other dogs, both chihuahuas (one female and one male) the female we’ve had for 12 years so he’s grown up with her. Recently, the last two times she’s gone into heat, he has tried to harm my family members. So far he has bit my dad, his brother, and my boyfriend (who lives with us).

It started out with him just nipping at peoples feet, which didn’t concern us because he wasn’t acting aggressively and we thought it was funny but he’d stop as soon as you told him no.

Until this morning. My mother is his favourite person in the world, they are like soul mates I swear. Things escalated quite quickly, my female chihuahua is in heat again and Frank was bugging her as usual but nothing we haven’t seen before. Until he snapped and went into what we are calling how the “red zone”. He was snapping and snarling at both of my parents and at one point had my mother cornered and she was deeply afraid. He’s never acted this way towards any of us. He wouldn’t listen to any commands at all and he wouldn’t take his eyes off my mom, it seemed like he thought she was an enemy of some sort. The scariest part is that he was doing this to my mother, who is his best friend. I’ve never seen her so afraid of him at any point in his or her life.

After this, I was asked to take our female dog and her things to our spare room so that they could be separated and hopefully he would snap out of it. Once I removed her, he was standing where her bed was and wouldn’t move. My mom got a leash on him and she was trying to get him to go to his bed (his crate) which we usually have no problem doing but this time he was growling, snapping and snarling all over again. We tried to persuade him with treats but he wouldn’t even respond to those. He was just staring at my mom and wouldn’t respond to any commands or enrichment. It was like he didn’t know who we were.

This is by far the scariest thing I’ve ever experienced in my life. We’ve always owned bullies. We’ve had a German Rottweiler, pitbulls (we’ve taken care of other owners dogs as well) and we never experienced any aggression or harm during those times. My mom knew what she was getting into when she got an EBT, she grew up with them and so she always took care of Frank the best she could. She’s gone to any length to make sure that he was going to be a good boy. And he has been for the most part.

I know you guys in here probably don’t care much for the soap opera I’ve just payed out for you but we’re scared. I’m scared. I want to help my mom, I want to help Frank.

If somebody knows if there’s anything I can do, please respond. I don’t know if it’s normal for this breed to have outbursts like this because I’ve never seen it before. I’ve heard of dogs suffering from dementia and aggression like this being a symptom? Is that common for bull terriers?

If anybody gets through this, please help me and my family. We love him very much and we know he loves us too, he’s just not okay right now.

Side note: he has skin allergies that we’ve been trying to deal with if you notice in the picture. If you know anything about that, let me know!
B5DA11DF-2D00-4253-AF72-3464161A8314.jpeg
1512 x 2016 - 563K

Comments