Skip to content

10 month old bull terrier puppy/bad tail chasing

so we have a 10 month old bull terrier puppy, Pickles, and for about 3 months all he wants to do is chase his tail, like non stop, thats all he thinks about... we live on a fenced in acre, and he gets to have free roam with the other dogs, we've tried distracting him with his favorite toys, shaking a can with coins in it, nothing seems to work, even playing fetch for a couple hours and taking him on long walks, and he has an acre to run on, doesn't matter how much exercise he gets, still chases his tail... he's 10 months old and has never been able to sleep in the bed with me, because he's 1000 mph at all times.. and if he's in the bed, he wants to keep running around or chasing his tail, or walking up and pawing me in the face, or headbutting me with his giant nose... he also gets aggressive if you try and pet him while he's eating.. mind you he's not food aggressive, I can reach in his bowl while he's eating and he's fine, but God forbid I try and pet him, he ducks low to the ground, starts snarling and has snapped at me twice, although they were both when he was young like 3-4 months old... but he will still growl and snarl... and when he's running in the yard with the other dogs, he's fine with them.. but as soon as he's inside, around me and my fiancé, hell snap at the other dogs, and sometimes get into fight with one of the others, although he's never actually hurt one of the others, I think its just a dominance thing, like he'll get real mouthy and loud and growl and wrestle the other dogs to the ground and sometimes snap at the other dogs faces, but he's never bit them and held on or even put more than a small scratch on them... help please im at my witts end, with this boy, I love him to death but he's a little terrorist... how can I fix the tail chasing?
20210104_095131.jpg
4608 x 3456 - 8M
20210104_095131.jpg
4608 x 3456 - 8M

Comments

• that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    Persistence with the distracting while tail chasing. Just keep at it. It needs to be constantly all the time. Never laugh or show it is acceptable. Stop him when he starts and distract him once he has. This is no short process, since his tail is always there being all happy and stuff. He must stop it. Your going to have to hunker down on the distractions and more more more more more exercise. If they are tired, they tend to listen and act better.

You are not asking about it but I will mention. He is jealous of the other dogs getting attention. My suggestion, include him in activities with the others. More than you already do. Show him attention more than the others. These EBT's are very needy at times. Mine can spend 6 hours with me and need to be touching me in some way 4 of those hours. The other 2 hours I spend playing fetch or running her in the yard. She is never too tired to want my attention. Don't be afraid to spoil him. They deserve all the attention they seek. If the other dogs are seeking your attention, include him in the attention. Nothing wrong with group lovin's.

Again, there is no quick fix to either of your comments. Consistency, never let them think they are winning when you are correcting them. It keeps YOU in the leader position.

I am no professional, I know what has worked for me.
  • I quickly got rid of tail chasing with a skooshy bottle of water giving her a spray or distracting with the nearest toy and it worked a treat she now chews her nylabones and realises it tastes better and is more fun!!
  • As for the jeaslousy aggression i would say the same as boomer include him more and when you are petting another dog and if he snarls or growls give him a stern no and let him know this is not acceptable or completley ignore him and when he stops growling or showing these signs immediatley praise him and pet him and show him fuss

Exersize is a key part in a bull terrier our willow was the same always 100mph at all tomes wouldnt just sit or laze about and we upped her walks by about 20/30 mins and took her to places we could safely let her off and this has worked well she will mostly float about the house and lay in her bed with toys when i see her playing with her toys and lying down i always praise her and pet her so she knows this is how i want her to behave when in the household but you need to start with more exercise let her run riot in a feild or park where its safe to do so it is alot easier to train obedience in a tired dog than one with bundles of energy that has so many distractions
  • OmaOma Thunder Bay
    My 2 yr old mini bully chases her tail most just before she comes into heat. Once that is done she stops pretty much. If she starts I can say stop and she does, but when she is cycling for a heat nothing stops her except going into her crate.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Tail Chasing OCD is 90% caused by lack of exercise and attention to stimulate their need to burn out pent up stress and anxiety. Bull Terriers need ample exercise and when it's not provided they can often develop OCD.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com