Skip to content

Chewy Toys

SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
My 11 month old Gunner and I were playing "Tug of War" with a 2" x 10" long wooden dowel today but he likes to lay down and chew on the dowel when he wins. I'm concern about splinters so thought I'd ask here what you give your Bully to to gnaw on?

BTW I also give him beef bones from the butcher shop that they cut 2"-3" wide pieces. Then on the second day after he's gnawed all the cartilage off I'll discard that the bone and wait a couple of days before giving him another.
IMG_4450.jpg
640 x 480 - 101K

Comments

• Both of ours chew on Nylabones and the silicone type dental toys where they can hold it and chew. Siren manages to demolish any other toy within seconds. Lol
  • SeonSeon Lake Camanch, CA
    I gave Gunner Nylabone but he has no interest. I even drilled several holes then packed it with Peanut Butter where he's licked it clean then no further interested.
    I got him a heavy rope where he demolished it within minutes. But he loves to retrieve the dowel and brings it back to play tug a war.
    Guess I'll live with that but will change dowels as needed.
  • Try a good sized antler piece.
    Wife bought a Kong Classic toy that one inserts treats/kibbles inside. Gunner loves it and appears to be indestructible at least for the last few days he's been gnawing on it.
  • that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    edited February 2021
    If I am not mistaken, the Kong Classic is the red one. Mine has all but decapitated the second red one. The first one didn't stand a chance. But she can not seem to do the same to the Black Kong. By far one of the strongest toy / ball on the market. Nylabone makes a Galileo bone. It is white and should last a heavy chewer for about 6 months. I found the trick is to insert the Nylabone into the food or treat container for a couple of days. It gives them a bit more interest for the dog. Last but not least. My girls favorite ball in the entire world is Chuck-it XL. They don't seem to be very tough at first, but they last a good long time. Considering all the chewing they see. Even after being punctured (the one in the picture), they seem to last forever. She still has not destroyed it after a few weeks of it being this way. They also retain a sweet vanilla smell throughout their long life.
    20210113_172058.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 3M
  • I do all natural hide rolls too! Didn't think about that at first. Moscow takes awhile to get through them but I only give him 30-hour chew time each night!
    Bought Gunner a Kong Squeeze Stick that will probably last 3 days of throwing and tugging then will it'll be all chewed up. I still give him Beef bones but am concern that he'll chip/break a tooth or two so may have to stop giving him any more.
    We've had him a month now and the Chihuahua and Pom are still leery of him and stay a distance. We know he won't hurt them but we're more concern he'll accidentally step on them when he's in "High Gear" inside the house.
    Well as mentioned the Kong stick didn't last long.
    Wife bought a couple of small Treat Ball Dispensers for the Chihuahua and Pom so I stole one, inserted a rope then tossed it. Gunner immediately retrieved it then brought it back. It's been a couple of play days now and it's holding up.

IMG_4493.jpg
    640 x 480 - 153K
    IMG_4491.jpg
    640 x 480 - 160K
    IMG_4506.jpg
    640 x 480 - 175K
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Best chew toys and good for the teeth are elk antlers. I buy the ones cut in half.
    20140330_141136_resized.jpg
    816 x 459 - 164K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    Will buy some, thx.
  • Unfortunately our guy could care less for antlers, Nylabones or other chew toys. He recognizes only wood sticks or 30" bully pizzle sticks.
  • OmaOma Thunder Bay
    I have found an antler that has been drilled in the centre and a beef pizzle inserted in there and Auggie just loves those. I was buying the medium size but they only last a couple of days, bought the Large and its lasting well