Skip to content

Please Help

Hammy my one and a half year old mbt but my child tonight and he is in the hospital getting stitches. My husband said I have to find him a new home ASAP. I’m in Missouri. My heart is shattered. Please help.

Comments

• BrooklynBrooklyn New York
    I think we need more details about the incident. Dogs rarely bite out of the blue and usually give a few warning signs before biting someone.
    https://dogtime.com/dog-health/dog-behavior/19137-advocacy-column-dog-bite-warning-signs
  • My son was changing his sheets which hammy was laying on at the time. When he went to wake him to make him move is when he grabbed ahold of his ear (creating the need for 9 stitches). It was like he was startled awake into a dog fight or something. It was crazy. I don’t think my son should’ve woke him up (he should have asked me to do it) but I also think he should be able to wake him if need be without being attacked. I’m looking into an obedience trainer that the two of them can go to together. I don’t want to give up on him, but it seems like this keeps happening except for this time it was bloody. Also, the breeders advice was to make my son beat his butt until he is submissive to him. I appreciate the link and any other advice.
  • BrooklynBrooklyn New York
    It looks like your dog acted out of reflex. If you go through this forum threads (or other dog forums) , you will notice that most of the dogs were rehomed or euthanized for the exact same reason - dog bit a family member when awakened by physical interactions.
    I believe any family member should be able to wake the dog if needed, but it can be done from the distance - calling out, clapping hands, whistling, giving the command " off', "come", "here", "move" etc.
    The expression 'Let sleeping dogs lie' derives from the long-standing observation that dogs are often unpredictable when they are suddenly disturbed.
    'It is nought good a slepyng hound to wake' have started as a warning about the risk of waking a potentially dangerous animal, but it later turned metaphorical.

https://dogtime.com/dog-health/general/5145-stop-dog-from-biting-when-startled-wilde-faq#:~:text=The startle reflex is instinctive,not to confuse the two.

• That article and what you said makes so much sense! I read the article to my son and the distance waking is absolutely going to be helpful. We have an appointment tomorrow for training which I’m sure will help us all. Thank you so much!!
  • There are ways to teach dominance without beating him into submission. If your trainer recommends that I wouldnt pay for their sessions! I hope everything works out! So sorry about both of your babies!