Skip to content

Line Breeding

Does anyone know anything about this? I was told that half siblings, bred from the same sire, but different dam,
Could breed? This seems so strange to me, they’re still siblings! I don’t have any experience with AKC, nor do I know anything about breeding, but is this something that is sometimes seen, and allowed?

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Line Breeding is popular in dog breeding but shouldn't be confused with inbreeding. Line breeding is conducted for the purpose of bringing out positive genes within a deliberate and dedicated dog that possesses exemplary qualities. However, for breeders that don't know what they are doing they can also bring out the poor qualities which won't be productive for bettering the future of the breed. I'm not a big believer in Line Breeding but I don't knock it if done with proper qualities.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Would breeding half siblings, same sire different dam, be considered line breeding or inbreeding? I feel like such a close relationship would be inbreeding, I mean they share 50% (give or take) if they same DNA. But if it was truly inbreeding, surely the AKC wouldn’t allow such pups to be registered, but they do... I’m just lookin for others opinions. Thanks for your response!
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Actually AKC will allow any form of inbreeding or line breeding. AKC doesn't have the restrictions that people think they do. As an example AKC will allow a breeder to register a litter on her 1st heat cycle which could be when she's 8 months old. They will also allow the breeder to register future litters on the same female every heat cycle, litter after litter until she turns 12 years old. No responsible would do such a thing to a female dog that they truly loved. However, there are many puppymills out there to which AKC continues to register litters.

AKC Regulation on Breeding Ages.JPG
    1373 x 809 - 150K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com