Skip to content

Bully not gaining weight

Hello everybody,

my Chunk is a standard EBT, he is now 14 months old and he is intact. I have him on a raw diet, feeding by the BARF model. Chunk hasn't gained any weight in 7 months. He does not have a good appetite and I struggle with that, he often refuses to eat and the breeder has advised it is his stubbornness that I will get rid of by being strict and taking his dish aways when he refuses to eat and he will learn that he can not be picky and eat what and when he is given. Our trainer says it is because he is intact. I have been worried for a while and I have been expressing my concern to our vet for the last 4 months, but she keeps saying he looks healthy and that I should be happy he is not overweight. Today he woke me up throwing up, and he had diarrhea and blood leaking from his anus (there was so much blood, it was leaking down his testicles and legs, it was awfull). We visited the vet, he got two injections to stop throwing up and diarrhea. Again I told the vet that I am worried about his weight and she said she doesn't see it as a problem. I have an appointment on Wednesday for another opinion, but i was hoping to hear from you guys and your personal experiences. Is it normal for a bully not to gain any weight from 6 to 14 months?
The leaking blood has stopped, he was very lively all the time, and he is no longer puking or pooping and we have a check-up for that tomorrow with the same vet, on Wednesday we are visiting another one for the second opinion and I will insist on blood work and RTG of the intestines.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Thank you in advance! I am really desperate by now and I hope we resolve this.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Sounds like you need to take your Bull Terrier to a better Vet. Something is definitely wrong if he had bleeding like that. He may have eaten something that he shouldn't have which may require surgical removal. He may have parasites or worms. He may have an infection. There are many things that could be causing this but a good Vet will be able to pin point the issue and treat it appropriately.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • For a vet to tell you that is normal is insane! At the very least they should've immediately did some internal digging to make sure he isn't clogged from eating something like he said!! A puppy should be, dare I say in a healthy way, "obese" because it will help him grow big and strong!! Dont over feed but by all means a puppy should have some sort of an appetite and fluctuate but never have I seen one stay the exact same through its main growing cycles!!! Bull terrier or not! Mine is stubborn, he definitely will only eat when he is ready so that has been a struggle having to be so strict with his bowls but he EATS! Three cups each meal! And hes 10 months! Hes ranged from 46lbs (we got him at 4 months and he was a chunky little turd) and has been every weight in between there and 57 at each checkup. I hope the new vet helped you and your baby!! Please let us know what happened!!! I hope he's feeling better :x