Skip to content

EBT & farm animals advice needed !!!

hello all, I’m seeking any advice on training techniques with a 1.5 year old female bull terrier and farm animals.

Luna has been great around all animals, chases them but always playful, she’s pinned down a few chickens but did no harm. Would sit with and or watch the cows etc. Sadly she has suddenly attacked our goats, causing one to not make it and this morning devastatingly she had my nanny goat on the ground and had chewed her leg and ripped her face open (fingers crossed she recovers).

I need this behavior fixed as soon as possible. If anyone has any suggestions, training techniques, personal experience, any advice at all would be so greatly appreciated. I’m devastated this happened and refuse to let it happen again.

Also any knowledge regarding dogs getting the taste of blood and not being able to break that kill instinct !?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Keep her away from farm animals

When around them leash her and keep her under control

You won’t be able to trust her around them unsupervised

What she did did not make her a bad dog any of my dogs would do the same

It’s not a herding dog
  • Thanks for your response.

Lol yes I know she’s not a herding dog I’m not trying to train her to be. I’d simply like all my animals to coexist together. If possible. So I’m looking to find out if anyone has any experience with their bully around other animals particularly livestock.
  • I do

Once a dog starts killing live stock you just can’t trust them

I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer but the best way to make sure she doesn’t get a goat is to keep her away from the goats

Good luck
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Not all Bull Terriers have good temperaments and some simply do not do well with other dogs or live stock. It's best to conduct good research on the bloodlines of any dog prior to purchasing a cute puppy which may very mature into an adult with aggression issues passed down from the sire and dam. I guarantee that if you put the sire and dam of your Bull Terrier on your property they'd attack your animals also. It's going to be VERY difficult to train this behavior out of your Bull Terrier especially after prior attacks and getting the taste of blood. In truth, the problem with most likely get worse.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Thanks for the input ! For now our goats are kept enclosed and safe and we will be taking future precautions keeping everyone safe. A small fence to keep Luna away when the goats are out and vice versa. And work with training her.

She’s always done well with other dogs, however they’re usually not her biggest fan because of her high energy.

It’s unfortunate that it had to come to the attack but now I know and we can prevent anything else happening.
  • CaronCaron Carson City, NV
    I have 3 chickens in the back yard. My older AmStaf has learned to be nice to them. So far, our 4 month old BT hasn’t paid the chickens much attention. My plan is to not make a big deal with them, and as our pup seems too interested, address it them. Good luck.