Skip to content

Unexpected Aggression

Just recently Sky snarled and showed her teeth at my 9 year old daughter. This happened when my daughter went and sat next to her on the sofa and pat her, so Sky was not pestered in any way. And most worryingly the dog was sitting next to me on the sofa and my wife sat next to us and we chatted for several minutes, my wife then went to pat Sky and she lunged at her face and tryed to bite her, I managed to pull Sky away just in time.

She seems very unpredictable, no aggression whatsoever with food, toys or other dogs. As a family no one feels safe with her. Having owned dogs in past, I am not comfortable with what has happened. We got her at 15 months, from seller who claimed dog was sound.

Here is my last post:

I have been reading about Sudden Onset Aggression / Rage Syndrome and it seems in fitting with Sky.

Any suggestions? I certainly don't want to keep her as we have two young children. And the unpredictability has me concerned about any options to re-home her.

Comments

• www.btneuro.org/?page_id=24

The above link is to an article on SOA It states very clearly if you suspect Sky has SOA you need to have a behaviorist evaluate your dog. A behaviorist will be able to identify if its territorial aggression, dominance etc. The following is a excerpt from the article link above "In Bull Terriers, the disorder most frequently presents as ‘waking SOA’ where an otherwise normal dog will display a sudden burst of uncontrollable rage upon awakening". Based on your post sky is awake which hopefully points to something that can be controlled with training or behavior modification. The key phrase is "In Bull Terriers, the disorder most frequently presents as ‘waking SOA"... this still leaves the door open to the possibility that Sky may have SOA without the "Waking" part.

I wish you well
  • My bully has a similar problem - that's why he is not allowed to be on the couch. Period. Furniture guarding is a very common problem. If you have doubts about her dominant aggressive behavior or you don't feel safe to have her around kids, I would highly recommend to contact a behaviorist for evaluation.

https://www.petiquettedog.com/dog-behavior-training-dog-couch/

https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/guardingfurnituredog.htm

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Why-is-my-Dog-Protective-of-the-Couch

• I should have been more explicit, she was asleep on sofa when daughter sat next to her and placed hand on her. There have been other incidents where Sky would have frightening growing and barking episodes with ears pinned back and tail erect. The incident involving my wife was nasty. Unfortunately having 2 children I did not want to endanger them or anyone else by keeping sky and consulting a behaviourist whereby lengthening the time and risk with family going through that process . Having had dogs in the past, this is not normal behaviour, I strongly suspect a neurological disorder, the sudden terrifying change from loving perfect dog is not normal. Sadly we had her put to sleep.

• that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    Good God!

You came on here asking for suggestions and ended up putting her to sleep the next day? What a very sad and confusing post. That so much reminds me of my sister, asking for advice and doing the opposite. I can't even form the sentence a WANT to say. SMH X(
  • @that1Boomer

Sad and confusing really ??? You were not there and did not witness this aggressive behaviour, Sky was dangerous plain and simple!!!! unpredictable... and almost torn my wife's face off!! Do you think I would keep her in my home with kids and explore options for her!!
    My 9 year old daughter was terrified. Not a flying f*cK was the Sky staying in the family home, the decision to put her to sleep the next day was the safest option for everyone. I can live with the action I decided to take. Had she got the change to inflict damage on my children, wife, or other people then that is something that I would have to live with for the rest of my life. Also it avoids further negativity about the Bull Terrier Breed making tabloid news.

I acted responsibly and dam sure others would do the exact same if in the same position!!!
    So please vent your anger elsewhere.

• It is always easier to destroy something or someone than to figure out how to fix it. Or give it to someone who can or at least try. We live in disposable world... Things, people, animals - everything and everyone is replaceable. To kill the dog after 1 month of having her? Agree with @that1Boomer - I have no words...
    You can say I am venting anger all you want. You had options. Even a shelter would have evaluated her and then made the appropriate choice. You my friend, have not seen me angry. This was plain and simple fact giving. I would have gone about it all different. But that is me. You should have never asked for advice if you had your mind made up. You are now acting as if I didn't understand the situation. Trust me when I say that, I understand very well.
  • I have a bull terrier with issues … when we first got her at 5 months she had MANY issues one of them aggression . Mackenzie is now 3 and thru lots of training, persistence and patience and the help of this site she is a different dog. It has taken all 3 years to make this happen and it isn't over ,I believe she will always have some of her issues .I will say that if I had young children going thru this I would of returned her to the rescue we got her from. Did you not contact the Breeder ? they should of taken her back ?
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    @corey90260 - You are spot on. The breeder should have taken the dog back. Any responsible breeder would have done so. However, based on the temperament of this Bull Terrier I have a feeling they weren't a responsible breeder to begin with.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
    The truth that seems to show its self in all these posts. This man had choices. Choices that did not involve destruction of the EBT.

I also have a problem with people who use the negativity BS to support their lack of good choices.

I'm at least glad to see others with my same thoughts and values.