Skip to content

My Bully will not let anyone touch his feet

HELP

We have a 75 lbs 5 1/2 year old bull terrier male. neutered and has been a wonderful pet.
Some time around the end of last year he started refusing to walk.
The vet said that there is nothing wrong with him or his feet.
Well without walking his nails are growing and it have tried to trim them with my rotary nail tool. but he won't allow it.
I have taken him to the groomers and it took to large ladies about 45 minutes to trim them and he was fighting the whole time.
The vet will only trim them after giving him a shot to knock him out. and the whole thing is expensive.
I have tried treats and slowly trying to getting him to accept the trimmer. but the moment you touch his nails he starts screaming, biting and fighting.
He is now starting to chew the tops of his feet raw and I just can't afford anymore vet bills.
I have tired most of the over the counter herbals along with CBD's and Benadryl none of them work.

Comments

• that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    I have found with mine. Instead of trimming her nails while she is lying down. I get the wife to hold her still while standing, I take her foot and turn it back with pads up, then I trim. If you only get one, that's okay. Just do one more tomorrow. Take your time and there is no race. I have also found that rotary trimmers are more prone to startle the dog. I just have a very good pair of cutters. Maybe this will work for you.

A good distraction for our dog is EZ Cheese squirted onto a dinner plate and held by the control person. It takes a good bit of work to get all the cheese licked off the plate, by then at least one or two nails are done.

Best of luck to you.
  • Maybe look for a new vet … Mine won't let us put any kind of medicine on her ( Feet, Ears ) she will bite We can sometimes trick her will distraction or food but most times she doesn't fall for it so we take her to the vet .The trick for us at the vet is that they have to take her into the back room away from us .Once they do that she will let them trim her nails ,clean her ears etc.That is just what works for us, Another reason I would seek another vet is for a second opinion on the feet it almost sounds like she has pain ?? As much as I love my girl and I love her with all my heart she has been the toughest dog I have ever owned. Good Luck !
  • thanks for your responses. food did not work as a distraction. no method of trying to trim his \
    nails seemed to work. the moment you touched them he panicked a would fight and run.
    we went to a new vet and it turns out he has arthritis. and he is now on a aspirin like pain killer and he is back walking a bit. also we got some mild sedatives so he will allow me to trim his nails as needed. again thanks for responding
  • that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    That's what we like to hear! You got to the root of the issue and are on a good path. Glad to you found some good answers.