Skip to content

Question about BT dog aggression

Hi everyone! I’m currently talking to a few reputable breeders about adopting a male miniature bull terrier puppy. I just wanted to ask if anyone has thoughts on the breed’s natural tendencies to get into scuffles with other dogs.

I’ve met a few BTs in-person and have spoken to many owners, and I’ve gotten a number of different answers including:

- The dogs just have a rough style of playing which leads to other dogs getting impatient and starting fights that the BTs often finish
- BTs are more naturally prone to dog aggression regardless of the amount of socialization done
- BTs are absolutely fine as long as socialized from a young age
- Some say neutering makes a big difference while others say it ultimately doesn’t have an effect on behavior

I’m just wondering if this is, indeed, the right breed for me. I am an experienced dog owner, having owned Great Danes in the past, and am part of a big group of friends that all hang out with their dogs and go to the dog parks and beaches. It would be extremely difficult if I were not able integrate into this group due to the dogs not getting along, and I just wanted honest opinions if this breed will not fit my community-oriented expectations.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    As with any breed of dog, good genetics are key to finding a good dog. There are many breeders that really don't care much about the temperament of the dogs they breed. Socialization is also important.

Try and remember that most Rescue Bull Terriers in need homes are coming from owners that don't have time for the dog and obviously aren't very attached to the dog. These are often dogs that weren't socialized with other dogs and most likely have some bad habits. Truth is, if the dog was healthy, well behaved, and got along with other dogs the original owner would probably have friends, neighbors, and relatives standing in line wanting to adopt the pure bred Bull Terrier they are offering up.

Another thing to consider is the fact that reputable breeders will have a signed contract when they sell their puppies which mandates that the puppy be returned to them if it is in need of being rehomed. Those that don't have such a contract are often backyard breeders and many of those dogs lack proper qualities to begin with which would include proper temperaments.

Bull Terriers can be dominating dogs which is why they can have issues getting along with other dogs. However, they can also be very fun loving and gentle with other dogs.

If you're wanting to ensure the best fit for your family I suggest looking into purchasing a puppy from a reputable breeder and conducting proper training and socialization at an early age to ensure the dog's temperament and character develop appropriately. Someone that dedicates into the love and attention to ensure their puppy is raised properly will not be looking to adopt out their beloved companion. Be careful in your pursuit to adopt a full grown dog. They are often put up for adoption for reasons which are concerning for most people.
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com