Skip to content

My 7 month is mean

She is great at the dog park and out side but in our home she is evil she bites and attacks me just bit my face today I won’t give up I’ve read the books I do the positive training she passed pet co school just fine is it bad blood she has bit me and my girlfriend now several times and grawls at is quite often only seems to be inside the house people please help will spending 3 gs on a trainer work to save my pup I know she won’t make it without us she is unpredictable as can be
58F7AE39-F08B-4ED7-9908-E7E1F1DC867D.jpeg
3264 x 2448 - 2M
C71451C3-0962-4FC2-8361-CB6C4744A224.jpeg
1242 x 1414 - 341K
A389E149-DDCB-4456-80DD-C738B06150E1.jpeg
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    This is a loaded post.

First things first, she is a 7 Mo old with a lot of energy that needs to be burned off. This can be done with letting her run and run and run and then play fetch, letting her run some more.

Second, She is showing common signs of dominance. A good activity I have used to assert dominance over mine is to put them on their back while holding her chest down and controlling the back legs. Then talk in an assertive voice. Let them know you are the Boss, not them.

Third, this is a stage in the EBT's development. I and many others have had the same issues. Get a trainer if you feel it is warranted. I personally worked through the biting stage by ignoring her once she bite or growled. If she wants attention, she knows she will only get it upon non-aggression. Believe me, they want your attention. Don't ignore the biting completely, Say OUCH loudly and correct her. Then ignore until she has settled.

These are my thoughts and how I handled the behavior in my EBT. I am not a professional, I just know what works for me. All dogs are different, so are the methods to train.

One thing is evident. Your EBT thinks she is the Boss. My guess would be that she jumps on you and crawls up on your shoulders and head and nips at your ears. Don't allow that dominance.

All the best of luck. Be confident and consistent! She is beautiful !!!
  • SnaxxSnaxx Victorville ca
    Thank you all help is needed idk if I can hold her on her back when she is in thease moods but I will try glad I’m not the only one
  • NovaNova Kennett square
    Wait is the crawling on shoulders and my head and trying to nip my ears a dominance thing? If so mine does it quite often
    Definitely a dominance thing. It seems playful but means much more to the dog. The nipping at the ears in not as much as the shoulder/head.
    Mine greets me with a hug and a few little nibbles on the ear. But she is not on my head while doing it. lol
  • edited June 2019
    Snaxx
    When the dog attacks you or she growls at you, does she have her tail down ?.
    Does she have her ears back ? Is her fur standing up ?. Does she look scared, or could it be that she is actually playing with you. Is she racing around the house or sitting on your knee when she bites etc....
    We need more information so we can understand what triggers her behaviour.

If the dog is really full of bad intent and you are not confident in pinning her down....... Do not try it. There are other ways to put your dog in its place without risk of injury. But we need more info.....
  • BrooklynBrooklyn New York
    @Neil is right about pinning/alpha rolling. If you are not confident in pinning her down or not sure you can hold her tight until she submits - don't try it. It could be dangerous and lead to severe injuries if done wrong.
  • NovaNova Kennett square
    Mine will just do a couple nibbles and that’s about it and play with me and run back and forth. I don’t think she has any wrong intentions about trying to be dominant because her tail is always wagging when she is doing it or is this normal
    Hair stands up tail drops it’s not playing because she is attacking but only in our home not outside or with dogs/kids
    Last time she bit me I have a 3 foot tall 8 foot circle baby pin in my home that we now use to put her in while we are in the kitchen because any noise sets her on edge jumps and barks a hi pitch noise over and over and if tried to pet will turn mean so I had put her in it and was telling her that’s a no no about a foot about the gate with my face and Like a bullet bit my cheek about an inch from my eye
  • edited June 2019
    Hi Snaxx, It sounds like a serious issue and i feel bad for the situation that you are in.
    We could all jump in here and give you different advice on the do's and don'ts, and you can look on line and read all the books for advice, but if i was in your position i would be looking for a professional to come to the house.
    Hope you can get things sorted out, she is a beautiful dog.
    Please keep us updated....
  • BrooklynBrooklyn New York
    @Neil is right, you should be looking for a professional behaviorist to come to the house. Not the trainer but professional CPDT-KSA or CPDT- KA certified behaviorist. They are not cheap - 1K to 2K per 6-10 sessions but it is a good investment if you care for your and your dog safety.
    Here you can find certified behaviorist in your city://www.ccpdt.org/dog-owners/certified-dog-trainer-directory/
    Something triggers aggression in the house. A behaviorist will help to sort it out as they specialize on all types of aggression.
    If you line up all biting incidents, can you see a pattern? How did it start? Where did it start? What you were doing and where the dog was before she got snappy? What was your correction and her reaction to it? Your pup is not necessarily dominant, she could be acting out out of fear. Maybe something happened to her in your house, she got hurt or scared and you have not notice it.
    Deferentially we dont have enough information to see whole picture. Did you bend or leaned over the gate/ the dog when she bit your cheek? When someone bend over the dog, there is a big chance the dog will see it as a threat and will bite to the face. Especially frustrated dog.
    Please understand that I was only giving a suggestion based off my own personal experiences. I, by no means intend to lead anyone astray or put them in harms way. By all means, if they are raising hair and dropping the tail, get a professional trainer. I did mention that it was a loaded post.
    Yea that’s what I’m going to have to do it’s not getting any better it actually is worse
  • So sorry, when the dog is small that kind of behavior is very normal.
  • The trainning is very important but I think the age of the doy is very important too. Take your time