Skip to content

Feeding nightmare

My sweet puppy becomes so mean at feeding time first off she eats so darn fast I got one of the slow feeder dishes but when she eats it all she won’t let you have it back and become very mean and grawls she has never been shown to be mean but her hair stands up causing me to give her a carrot and run over and grab the fish real fast please help I don’t want a mean dog

Comments

• that1Boomerthat1Boomer Middletown, PA
    feeding aggression is common. Personally, I have never had an aggressive eater. I have always from the youngest of age would grab the bowl and pet the nose. This is a sign that I am in control from day one. Not them. Fast eating is also not so surprising. My last would eat very fast. the one I have now is quit a slow eater. Aggression of food has to be trained out of them. Nobody wants to deal with that. If it were me. I would take a nip or two every night until I could touch and move the bowl. Correction at the first nip is the key. Don't ever let them get away with it. Calm talking and firm commands, just like any other training. Please don't be intimidated. This is a good time to prove dominance. Just be careful. If the pup is normally non-aggressive, this may be very easy. One thing we must remember, no one likes their food being taken away. That is why I say, move the bowl. I wish you all the best of luck. I am also not a professional dog trainer. I just know what I would personally do. BT's are very much bull headed, you need to be more of a bull head than they are. lol All the best.
    Sorry to keep hogging the posts. One last thing I want to advise on. The carrot is a reward for bad behavior. Although you get what you wanted, this confuses the dog and re-enforces bad activity. I am guilty of doing it myself. That is why I recognize it so quick.
  • More details ... Do you feed your dog in the same place and at the same time every day ? Are you sure you are feeding enough and it's not hunger ? How old is your puppy ? Have you tried putting the empty bowl down ( not at feeding time ) and then treating when he/she lets you take it away ? or have you tried hand feeding ,not using the bowl ? I am by no means a trainer but I have 3 dogs all with their own issues which sometimes means thinking outside the box :)
  • SnaxxSnaxx Victorville ca
    She is fed in the same spot and at the same time three times a day she is six months old she never used to do it she had a metal bowl and when she was done would leave it but eventually started using it as a toy dinging up my baseboards so after she was fed I started removing the bowl now she is just mean it’s not just a nip I’ll take she is in full attack mode
    I used to be able to touch her and take it away with food still in it when it was left out but once she started batting the bowl around the house all changed it’s only with food she will let you drink out of her yeti water bowl lol
    Using a heavy bowl and seeing she would leave that alone is a good place to start. Maybe the aggression is due to her not being able to have her bowl. With mine the bowls are always down and they don't play with them. Only eat and drink. Puppies love to play though. I get the idea of taking it away. but maybe it has left her confused as to where it is and now once she has it, she wants to keep it.
    When should I get her fixed
    She can be spayed now. Anytime after 6 months. Unless you plan on showing her. Then you would need to remain fully intact. mine was spayed and took about 1 day to act like it never happened.
  • I would let her fully mature before you get her speyed
  • edited May 2019
    Fixing usually does not fix behavior. There may be exceptions. But fixing is not a miracle solution.
    Your dog is afraid that her food will be taken away before she could eat it all.
    She needs to learn that nobody will steal away her food.
    She is an only pet and no other pets around, right?

Skip the bowl and hand feed your girl exclusively for a while to show her that all good things come from you. Make her work for her food. Being polite earns her praise and reward (start with treats, not her food).
    Nasty behavior brings ... nothing. Just ignore that and don't ever reward it with food, attention, feelings of intimidation etc.
    Once the trust grows and you go back to feeding from the bowl just put something IN while she eats from time to time (don't take the bowl away while she eats!) ... all good things come from you. She'll get it if you are willing to give it the time and training it needs.
    As for the fast eating: Find a spot for her without many distractions where she can eat in peace and leave her alone while she eats unless it's a training moment. Teach her to do a polite sit and to wait for your command to start eating. Train that with treats at first and then switch to her food.
    If you feed dry food you can also make her search for her food ... bit by bit. This way it's entertainment for her as well as slowing her eating down.
    Read about dog training or seek a trainer. If I try to explain it all here I will turn out a book.
    But I hope I could line out a direction for you. :D
    Call me or text me she has become very mean 7602219740 any help please
  • BrooklynBrooklyn New York
    Vinnie used to play with his bowl too until we got him one with silicone base ring, it keeps the bowl from tipping or sliding. He stopped playing with it.
    At 6 months puppy is big enough to be fed twice a day. Just split 3 meals in 2 or give her more food in the morning and in the evening to be sure she is not acting out because she is hungry.
    She honestly attacks me over anything closing the sliding door holding my bud light can we go to the dog park twice a day over a mile walk one way plus back yard ball she was so sweet now I can’t even pick her up the dog hasn’t had even a flick on the nose I love her so much but now I can’t even live
  • BrooklynBrooklyn New York
    Sounds familiar, we started having the same issues at 6 mo old and it was escalating. Your puppy has grown into teenager (6-18 months). As a pack animal, she is trying to establish her position in the pack dominating you. If you don't show her your leadership skills now, you will have many more issues later. Through rules, boundaries and limitations you need to position yourself as strong pack leader ( I dont mean any kind of physical abuse or punishment). When at 6 months old our bully started acting out, I started binge-reading about behavior issues and dog training methods. So I came across the book that totally changed my views about human/dog relationship: Be the pack leader by Cesar Millan. The book is not about dog training. It is about dog needs vs human needs and how fulfilling dogs needs to become an ultimate pack leader. It worked for us, now Vinnie is 3 and he is bonded to us, he trusts and respects us.