Skip to content

Itchy, itchy dog.

I have a 2 year old female white bull terrier. She has bad allergies and has for her whole life.. She licks and bites her feet and tries to pull out her toenails constantly. He stomach is red with scratch marks and she gets hives. I know she's miserable. She does seen a allergy vet. He told me no beef, dairy, or chicken. He has her on limited ingredient Redford dog food. She's been on that about a year. She takes one Zyrtec and an Omega vitamin in the a.m. and two benadryls nightly. She gets a cytopoint allergy shot about every 8 weeks.. It lasts about 4 weeks and that doesn't completely take away her itching. He says we can do allergy testing but that will only show environmental allergies, not food allergies. Well I live in Tennessee and I'm pretty sure that environmental would be pollen and grass just like all the humans. So I don't feel like that would really helping me getting rid rid of her food allergies. And it's definitely not from fleas as she is on the bravecto and she has never had a flea issue. Any suggestions would be great! -

Comments

• GinnyGinny Knoxville
    Okay so after reading some of the comments I am going to get my dog on Victor dog food and Nuvet supplements. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the info! Such a great resource for us Bullie owners! :)
  • @Ginny can you please let me know how it goes with the switch in food and the Nuvet supplements. I have 2 dogs with allergy issues and am planning on doing the same switch in about a month .
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I'm confident that switch will do your Bullie a lot of good. That NuVet is a Great supplement too.

https://bulliesofnc.com/online-store/supplements-vitamins/

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • GinnyGinny Knoxville
    Corey90260. Absolutely. We started the new food and supplements yesterday. I'm keeping a journal. I know it sounds crazy but after almost 2 years of this I'm at my Wit's End. I will keep you posted.
  • Phat88Phat88 Louisiana
    Also following! Have the same with my white almost year old bully! Hope it works! I hate seeing her like this!
  • @Ginny check out the video in the discussion "Licking Paws/Allergies" I have been giving Mackenzie foot soaks in iodine/water for the last 4 days and her feet look so much better and her licking has dropped down to almost nothing.
  • @Ginny so how's the new food and supplements going ? We started switching over to Victor last weekend and I am just waiting for the supplements to arrive. I am so hoping that a month from now I can stop the medication for the allergies
  • Hang in there, @corey90260, even if symptoms do not improve but also do not get worse within a month's period. The body can take some time to recover and it may take longer than 4 weeks. But even slow improvement is good. Usually, if an allergic dog is very itchy, that's the most immediate effect: the itching and scratching will cease once the trigger is absent. So, while the inner and outer healing of the digestive tract and present lesions may take a while, it is already a VERY good sign if the dog scratches and bites itself much less after the food switch and stops licking paws excessively and all that stuff.
  • hmaggerhmagger Philippines
    Just offering some info just in case it might be useful. From the time we got our dog, he was on a raw diet and we thought we were doing everything right --measuring the calcium/phosphorus ratio, giving some organ meat, fresh veggies, some fruit etc. The first thing I noticed was that he seemed to have a bit of a sensitive tummy and his poop would be loose every 3 days or so. Then suddenly it was as if he woke up one day and he had itchy paws + chin. It was very frustrating, but to make a long story short a process of elimination determined the causes....1. He was getting too much food and once we simply gave him a little less, his skin and bowel movements improved. 2 - Our dog is sensitive to liver. Once we stopped, so did the soft poo and his skin completely healed. (Interestingly, I decided to give NuVet a try for good measure and our dog can tolerate the chicken liver in it just fine). I really hope that you may find a system that works for you.
  • supplements started :) Mackenzie's skin is good for the most part it's her feet that are the biggest issue I have started soaking them in the evening in water and iodine. I really want to take her off the apaquel .I figured I would wait about a month and stop giving it to her to see what happens.