Skip to content

New Here - Meet Lucy

Hello all!

I hope this is the right place to post an introduction & info.

I have a pup, Lucy. Who was surprisingly named by my spouse, who doesn't like dogs, yet somehow really likes Lucy.

She was found near where we lived & even came right into our home. Acted like she hadn't eaten & possibly dehydrated (very easy to get dehydrated here, it's practically a desert area).

I took her to be checked by the shelter for a chip & if she was fixed. Nope on both, they expect sure it's around 4-ish months old & pure-blooded far as they could tell. The shelter agreed that due to issues in our area I shouldn't post pictures or breed or any info. Just the location where she was. (Dog's get stolen a lot here for fighting & baiting).

I posted all over, multiple places. Nothing ever came up. The shelter said after two weeks she is legally ours. Needless to say we weren't planning to keep her. Such a high spirited fun loving pup has to have a home looking for her. I got tons of responses, but nothing for a bull terrier. Sadly, it's very possible she was stolen from somewhere & either dropped off or abandoned or they didn't want to report a dog they stole missing. Again, very bad area for dogs.

So here we are with Lucy. Which is now officially ours since it has been passed 2 weeks now.

I've had dogs before, but never a bull terrier. Or any bull breed or any terrier breed at all. Mostly mutts & I grew up with Pomeranians.

This is me territory for us, but we've been googling information.

Lucy is very playful, a real spazz. Adorable!

She took to going potty outside quickly, like 2 days with minor accidents here & there.

Our biggest problem is, while being extremely smart, she won't stop biting. I spend the most time with her, nearly got get broke of it with me, but my 8 year old son, my spouse... Nope. She gotta bite, playfully but she has drawn blood. She LOVES my SO. She will spazz & jump & play-fight & bite. She won't stop. IDK why she does this with them but learning to back off with me. We are writing with her the same way with everyone.

She gets so excited when they get home she flips out. Spazzing hard. After a day off training, being good, playing nicely... With me. Only with me.

She occasionally bites me but hasn't scratched my skin with her teeth nor has she drawn blood with me. I stay on her about it, she nibbles & watches me closely to see what she can get away with.

We're getting very frustrated because we're done want her to think anyone, including guests, is fair game for biting just because they aren't me.

She is very smart about plenty of other things. Leaving the cat-food alone, staying out of some areas when no one is in those areas. She is even learning sit, wait, & fetching. She knows to leave the cats alone, but will sniff if they come to her. Getting the hang of being on a leash when I take her out to piddle/poo. Doing great with crate training & even learning "go lay down" for bedtime. Lasts all night & doesn't mess in her crate, anymore. First couple nights we had accidents while learning.

Again only had her a little over 2 weeks. When she showed up she didn't understand any of it. Though we thought she may have been house trained because she was doing well the first day & a half... Turned out she just hadn't eaten or had any water. Took her over 24 hours to poo.

Over all I'm very impressed. A friend told me I'd never have a smarter dog. I can see that's true, but getting the biting under control is worrisome.

She is 25lbs, 13" tall at the shoulders. Mostly white but under her fur is some small black spots here & there. She lost two upper back teeth since being here & still acts like she is teething.

Any insight, info, or help for us to learn how to properly take care of her please comment or PM me.

I want her home here to be happy & healthy.

( am having trouble posting pictures, I keep getting an error.)

Comments