Skip to content

Raw

Hi, I just want to know is it ok to feed my bully kibble with his raw diet? Ive had mixed comments from alot of folk. But, still unsure. Ive heard that it can give them an upset stomach.

Comments

• If you're feeding raw it's because you understand the benefits and that also means you understand why kibble isn't necessary and not ideal. Pick one. No need for both.
  • IainEIainE Glasgow
    Yeah, He is 7 years old, but, I only got him 8-9 weeks ago. But, thought he looked rather skinny at round about 25kg, he is now upto 28.5kg after 2 weeks on raw. Dont get me wrong, all the muscle and weight was up front in his shoulders, but, personally, I thought his back end was rather skinny. Ive been told about the pros and cons about raw. Pros being that my brother swore by it to bulk him up, because he had to put his 9 year old staffy on it after he rapidly lost alot of weight. And, yeah, Im witnessing the benefit of my bully gaining weight so fast, it was totally unexpected, but, impressive. But, ive also heard the cons of raw being that it makes the dog very lethargic and lazy. Which ive also witnessed lateley. He struggles to climb the stairs in my building, and just refuses to jump up on my bed, which he would do instantly, but, now, would rather just go lie on the floor. So, Im debating taking him off the raw.
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I provide my Bullies a 5 star grain-free kibble which I know provides a well balanced diet. However, I also supplement from time to time with raw meats, veggies, fish, eggs, etc. I do this more as a treat as well as ensuring their digestive system is used to various types of food.

There's nothing at all wrong with Raw Meat diets but just understand that about 90% of those feeding their dog raw diets only they have no clue how to appropriately balance their daily food in order for it to be considered a "Well balanced" diet. I often see people taking photos of their dog's food bowl with some raw meats in it that they proudly post of Facebook as if they are doing their dog a favor by avoiding kibble. However, it's easy to see the food they provided their dog in the bowl lacks many important elements that a dog needs on a daily basis. Again, feeding raw only is not easy to maintain proper balance.

Many are under the impression that raw meats are going to provide higher levels of protein of other nutritional elements. However, when comparing raw meat to a good quality 5 star food you'll be quick to realize they use meat "meal". As an example look at the nutritional value of Victor - https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/victor-grain-free/ . On this particular version of victor the first ingredient is Beef. Beef meal is considered a meat concentrate and contains nearly 300% more protein than fresh beef. Looking at the rest of the natural ingredients you'll note that this food touches base on all the areas of nutrition that is optimal for a "Well Balanced" diet. Yes, it's easy for some people to throw a chicken leg and an egg in a food bowl and think they are doing their dog a favor but this is far from true.

In short - Yes, have no fear of providing raw meats to your Bullie along with their kibble. Dogs love raw meats and mixing up their diet from time to time is good for their digestive system.

https://bulliesofnc.com/bull-terrier-nutrition/

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • edited July 2018
    There's a lot of truth in Steve's words about the absolute necessity of balancing a raw diet. I still swear by raw, even though I do feed both (high quality kibble and raw). Frankly, for me at the moment it is a financial decision. Supplementing in part with high quality kibble is still more affordable than a completely raw diet. Which is why I chose to take the best of both ways and combine them into a more affordable plan for us, still feeding high quality and balanced and without leaving any of the necessary nutrients out.

From my experience, I know that balancing a raw diet is not rocket science. But it does for sure not end at a chicken leg and a cracked egg.
    While it can never hurt to know about nutrition in general, owners who want to feed raw need to gather extra knowledge about the nutritional needs of a dog. They need to know about the impact of carbs from different sources, they need to know the difference between animal and plant protein, about the calcium-phosphorus-ratio, vitamin and mineral contents of ingredients, know about supplements ... and that is just part of the entire story.

But circling back to where this post started, one thing is for sure: Feeding raw does not necessarily put on muscle or fat automatically. That very much depends on the composition. Feeding more protein can put on muscle, but if it is a high quality protein it does not matter if it is being consumed in the form of kibble or raw.

If a dog gains weight and becomes lazy either the feeding schedule could be off or the dog is simply eating MORE calories than its body can burn.
    It's as simple as that.

Although maybe not true for EVERY dog, generally speaking dogs should rest a little after feeding. That is a natural thing. Too much activity right after a meal can even lead to very painful and dangerous stomach torsion. Some dogs take that rest naturally while others don't have that kind of "inner control". I don't know about your dog but maybe that's what you're noticing as "lazy".

Kibble takes the lead when it comes to the dog feeling full longer simply because sits in the stomach hours longer than raw. Nothing bad in itself, can also be an advantage. Just important and useful to know the difference.

Another reason for a dog to gain weight could be the "wrong" composition of the food or the dog is simply either eating too much in general or not getting enough exercise to burn all the calories it gets.

The balance of raw food can be off in many directions, one being too fatty. While dogs can eat more fat than humans, especially when they are well exercised, too much of this high calorie ingredient can quickly push the boundaries.
    Lots of fat equals many calories in a small amount of food.
    Now, just cutting back on the portions may not be the perfect solution because it could leave the dog feeling hungry all the time. This is only one of several reasons why it is a good idea to also introduce fiber rich ingredients such as veggies into the equation of a raw diet. The veggies deliver less calories, but bulk up the portions and deliver fiber for digestive regulation.
    Now, here comes the next issue: Introduce too much of the veggies and the dog could again start to feel hungry all the time even though it is eating huge portions (btw. also resulting massive stools and sometimes other issues), just because the veggies do not deliver enough energy.
    Like Steve already mentioned: Raw is not just about feeding meat.
    I recommend to search for BARF and read around.
    There's a lot to learn out there.
    I have learned a lot and would still not consider myself an expert.
    But once the knowledge grows I am sure that the realization that raw does not necessarily make a dog strong or fat or lazy will come on its own as well.

Until then - as Steve suggested - a good quality kibble in the right amount might be the best intermediate solution.

If you do not know how to assess if your dog has the correct weight or is over- or underweight there are lots of charts, such as this one, to be found on the internet, explaining that pretty well:
    http://www.reducepetbegging.com/Themes/RoyalCaninUSMarketing/LandingPageThemes/ReducePetBegging/Images/dog.jpg

If you notice that your dog is overweight put it on a lower calorie diet until it gets close to its ideal weight.
    Don't fall for blaming it flat on a raw diet.
  • IainEIainE Glasgow
    You guys seem to be talking about raw meats you would get from the supermarket. I had him on that frozen, ready mixed raw stuff. I was told it was pre packaged into daily portions. But, 1 portion did not seem enough for him, he was always going back to his bowl looking for something to eat. Since my post, ive already put him back on Wagg Kibble and Pedigree Chum tins and he seems alot be6tter for it. But, ive already googled ideal Bully weights. averaging from 20-40 kg. So, at about 27kg right now, im happy with him.
  • Correctly feeding raw wouldn't be factor in a dog being lethargic. My dogs are more active alert than any in our neighborhood. And if you weren't mixing your own foods then there could be any number of reasons why they didn't perform well on raw. I largely recommend doing research research research and join a RAW forum or FB so you can see what to do and not to do.
  • Feeding 80% raw, but only 1/day. Yes just like people, they can lethargic 1.5hr after. But if it lasts long you might be over feeding? I find they still need just a small amount of rice to calm there stomach. If they don't get it they eat grass like the need it...

After years of trying and trying my conclusion is most dog food has grains and BTs don't do well on it.
    Best regards,

Dave O