Skip to content

1st time breeding worries

Good afternoon,

I am so glad that I have found this wonderful site and have read probably all the postings on here. I have seen such love for the wonderful breed that I have been lucky to have owned for 21yrs.

I have two two year old EBT’s Nancy and Fagan. Fagan is neutered as his bits never dropped, and I would have done anyway as having an unneautured male around my girl would have been a nightmare and stressful for her.

I chose to breed Nancy as her temperament is incredible. Such a sweet loving kind soul and to be able to breed this temprement in future generations would be a benefit to all owners.

This morning at 4am Nancy gave birth 4 days early in my washing pile with her first pup! Moved her to my bedroom and she gave birth to 6 more bundles of fur over 6 hours, one boy who was extremely tiny and did not make it and six healthy girls.

Nancy did all the right things as far as delivering but she didn’t seem to know what was happening, which is understandable really being a first time mummy.

I have read all the experiences of how whelping and the raising of the pups can go wrong regarding EBT’s not being good mothers and would like some advice and support from other home breeders out there that could possibly support me if anyone can spare some time?.

Nancy is cleaning her babies beautifully but when they have woken from a nap and they start squeaking she seems to get very stressed and starts nudging and rolling them all over the whelping pen quite roughly. At one point I thought she was going to attack them? But I think I have read too many horror stories and have worried myself stupid. (I am a terrible worrier).

When Nancy acted that way I calmed her down and latched the puppies back on to her and she has calmed down. It seems they aggravate her with the squeaking?.

Any advice would be great as I want these puppies and my Nancy to be happy and healthy and I am in love with them all, it would break my heart for anything to go wrong.

Tonimarie x
994A3AAC-90C3-46F3-902C-FBF89EE1DF01.jpeg
4032 x 3024 - 2M
4E41C8FE-6610-462F-9F9E-EEAD8605CF11.jpeg
4032 x 3024 - 2M
F1913E6E-8198-4682-A4E0-43A8065175CD.jpeg
4032 x 3024 - 2M

Comments