Skip to content

Cervical spine problems

My baby Dexter is about 8. He started having these episodes about 2 years ago where he would yelp when getting up, circle about and cry with one leg up and then lay on his side with the same leg curled up and visible twitching in the shoulder area. It seemed like a focal seizure. We found that gabapentin and muscle relaxers help him recover, his episodes are worst in the middle of the night. We had some xrays done recently, and our vet was shocked at the films... usually he does mri or ct for neck problems but the entire neck is arthritic and there are bone spurs throughout. We think this is the issue that leads to the neuro dysfunction and pain. He said that he must have suffered some trauma, his guess was a car accident, but we adopted him around 10 months and he didn't seem to have any injury. Does this sort of thing happen without obvious injury? He is obsessive compulsive about fetching so i can only think of repetitive motion as a cause to injury. He has muscle atrophy in the shoulders, his knees are bony as well but his hips are in great shape. We give him joint supplements and fish oil daily plus he is on grain free kibble. Wondering what types of supplements and excercises are appropriate for strengthening and stabilizing the neck/shoulder area.

Comments

• BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    I think based on you not knowing his past it will remain a mystery as to the cause. It sounds as though he's in bad shape and based on the fact that he was a rescue at such a young age I can only assume he didn't receive the best care as a puppy and growing adolescent.
    At 8 years old he is reaching his older years where problems like arthritis can become a lot more problematic just like they do with people. Hopefully your Vet can prescribe him some meds which will keep him comfortable and allow him to remain active and healthy.

- Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com