Skip to content

Coconut oil/ Chia

I have been mixing coconut oil into my 2 year old bullies food and also mixing about a tablespoon or so of raw chia seeds. I did the Chia after reading that the omegas are really good for the coat and overall system. After a few days of this Makenzie developed diarrhea. Not sure of this is from the chia or not or the mix of everything but figured I would throw it out here for opinions and see if anyone else has tried this. She is eating a cup of Origin kibble 2x a day and I mix in about a tablespoon of coconut oil and Chia only in the mornings. I also supplement her with a recommended doggy vitamin. I guess my question here is how much are you guys giving your dogs to eat and how much coconut oil are you supplementing in there food? I am going to guess she is about about 50-55 pound 2 year old female. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I now have started mixing in organic pumpkin until her diarrhea settles.

Comments

• I use salmon oil and pumpkin every day in their food
  • kellicruzkellicruz San Diego, CA
    Chia is used for keeping humans & animals regular so I'd stop giving chia seeds as this is prob the reason for diarrhea. I use coconut oil with my Bully (about 1 tablespoon a day) helps keep her coat nice and shiny plus hoping it helps with her skin allergy issues.
  • jc4413jc4413 Florida
    @kellicruz check on the chia. lol Im not a diarrhea fan. i will just continue with the coconut oil and vitamins. Sign of an dog parent trying to do to much. lol
  • BulliesofNCBulliesofNC Richlands, NC
    Your giving your Bull Terrier a good food and if you're using a good supplement like NuVet I see no reason to add the coconut oil to the food. If your wanting the added omegas I suggest a squirt of salmon oil in his food once a day vice the coconut oil.

Victor, NuVet, Grizzly.jpg
    720 x 1080 - 596K
    - Steve Gogulski
    "It's not just a Dog, it's a Bull Terrier!"
    www.bulliesofnc.com
  • Have not tried those. But have tried many with no real change. The one that did something shocked me.

Have done punkin it works a little but your are treating a symptom of the other (grain) feeds... Not a real fix. Raw works for me.

Daughter bought me some Hemp oil (No THC) and highly recommended it for old dogs. My dog was 14 going on 15 and groaned/sighed every 5 minutes or so. Very vocal. Been increasingly vocal for yrs. Anyhow 4 drops/day and he stoped!!!!!!!! Amazing. Took just a few days and lasted.
    Best regards,

Dave O