Skip to content

Popular Science Article

I know I don’t post on this forum, but I thought this was interesting. Especially to our preferred canine companions...
https://www.popsci.com/purebred-dog-inbreeding-genetic-mutation

Comments

• edited March 2018
    @IH8rain
    Thank you for posting this article. Even though the information in it was not entirely new to me, it is amazing how detailed the article lays out the genetic problems behind breeding. I have not been fully aware of the huge impact of recessive genes in gene pools, or of the amount of doubling that is occurring in breeding, so to speak. I guess, after all, many of the things said do not only count for dogs, but for many if not all species, considering where science says we come from - or even if we take the approach of creationism - the problem would still be the same. Nature brings in more selection on the one hand and more variety on the other than humans can. But if everything comes from one source, still ... Very interesting aspects to think about.
  • Great article. I’ve studied genetics at uni, and this article ran true. The only thing is I didn’t know that bull terriers often have breathing issues (are they confusing the terrier with a bull dog?).