Skip to content

New Random Aggression

I'm new to the site so thanks for any replies.

I have two EBTs (6yrs - Fiona and 4yrs - Ginger). They both are great dogs who played with & loved each other for several years. However, about a year ago the 4yr old decided to become aggressive randomly towards the 6yr old. At first, we thought it was over toys so the toys were no longer left out and introduced at specific times during the day. Then it would still happen randomly so we only would play with them separately, again, at specific times. Now, the latest incidents have happened over nothing. The only thing we can think of that the last two incidents have occurred in tight spaces. We are kind of at a loss since we can't pinpoint anything specific and we've gone as long as 6.5mos & as short as 48hrs between incidents. It would be easier to understand if they hated each other all the time, but they were pals for so long and even after calming down after an incident it's like nothing ever happened.

It's at the point now where we are thinking about rehoming the 4yr old because I am in the military and gone quite often. When this happens the 6yr old defends herself and it can quickly get very ugly, often requiring two people to separate them. We also have a 7mo old child and we really don't want him to get in the middle of a fight.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated as we are almost at our breaking point with an upcoming move across the country.

Comments

• That is a tough one .I have 3 dogs a male that is 11yrs ,female 10yrs both pits and a mini bull terrier 1 1/2 yr. The 2 females we watch constantly ,they have not gotten into an actual fight but have bared teeth and made a lot of noise we shut it down immediately when that happens. I keep the 1 1/2 yr crated when we are not home . When they are together the are supervised . I believe that once they have gotten into a fight the potential for it to happen again is greater . Good Luck !
  • edited March 2018
    That's true. Especially if it is two females what I've heard very often in the past is that once they have gotten into a serious fight - which can even happen among siblings - things will likely never be as they were before again. Females often fight each other even harder than males ... the term "cat fight" comes to mind. And once the barrier has broken, they often do no longer get along with each other and there will always be high potential for more fighting in the air, which, sadly, can even turn deadly eventually.
    I honestly hate it when people in forums tell others "This is not something to discuss on the internet! Find a professional!"
    Unfortunately, in the case described above that is the only advice I can give and I feel really bad saying this because I can imagine how desperate this family must be.
    I don't see any chance but keeping the dogs separated until a capable professional has been found to take a personal look on site and work with the dogs and the family - OR, if things are already at that point, to tell the family the truth that the two dogs just can't live together. This is too dangerous for the dogs and the entire family involved - there are even small kids around!!!! - too dangerous to "experiment" with advice over the internet in such a situation.
    Not because there would not be any experienced people around. But assessing such a situation "blindfolded" can just lead to the wrong conclusions and as a result to the wrong advice with very serious consequences.

One important fact to keep im mind with Bull Terriers is that some of them are not very compatible with other dogs, not even other Bull Terriers. Such dogs will likely never really changed and are better kept as an "only pet" in a household.
  • BrooklynBrooklyn New York
    Have you checked both of them with the vet? The hidden illness or pain could trigger this behavior. Bullies are very tough to show their discomfort.
  • JSMJSM Fort Irwin, CA
    I appreciate the responses.

We are currently looking to rehome the 4yr old. In the meantime, they are separated for almost the entirety of the day. It just makes it tough since they were so good together for just over 3yrs.

We have had them checked by the vet and neither one has any issues.
  • I am so sorry that has to be really hard . This is why I initially got a male and a female even then we spent a year introducing them and monitoring them ( second dog was crated for a year) When we brought number 3 in ( the mini bull terrier and YES I am crazy) we have really stayed on top of it . We have had #3 for a year now and we are still on top of it , supervised play, crated when we are not home, supervised food time and so on. I don't think it would of worked when my pits were young they have mellowed some in there old age .